Possible Tire Failure? Please Take a Look

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
This was the inside of the drivers side front tire. No other tires exhibit this kind of destruction. Tires were on the car for two years, and as you can see there is still a ton of tread left. I didnt even notice that the tire was bad until it started to lose air, upon which I inspected it, saw no nail. Took it to a shop, threw it up on a lift and my jaw dropped. How can this happen? Can a bad alignment cause this or is this flat out a defective tire? Take notice of the last photo, the damage is across almost 90% of the tire.

P1000913.jpg

P1000914.jpg

P1000915.jpg

P1000916.jpg

P1000917.jpg

tropicmustang

Established Member
How is your other front tire. May be an alignment issue. Is the tire really worn on the insides corner because from some of the pictures it looks like it was wearing on the inside and the tire eventually seperated and blew out.

Hissssss

Fox body lover
Established Member
It sure appears to be an alignment issue, I think if you are going to try and get a warrenty replacement its going to be tuff, have you had the alignment checked in the last two years??

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
How is your other front tire. May be an alignment issue. Is the tire really worn on the insides corner because from some of the pictures it looks like it was wearing on the inside and the tire eventually seperated and blew out.

Other front tire is fine. I bought GSD3's and asked the goodyear guy what he thought- he never saw anything like that before. They did mention that the tire in question was out of alignment, however I had no choice and had to drive my car about 30 miles with it half flat which very well may of threw it out even more.

Prodigy SVT

Established Member
I think you have a tire rub issue on that wheel. I would inspect that wheel well for evidence of the tire rubbing another part of the car.

Prodigy SVT

Established Member
Tire guy asked me this also- Would I feel tire rubbing in the wheel though when driving?

Well the fact that you have been driving the car with the tire in that condition and did not feel anyting is very surprising to me, so I would say you wouldn't notice the rub if you didn't notice the car driving strange because of the tire. I would think the steering wheel would have shaken quite a bit with that tire on the front.

My money is on a rub issue. I'm sure the car could use an alignment but that is extreme damage. If it was an alignment issue, the tire would just be bald and smooth on that edge, not shredded like that.

Prodigy SVT

Established Member
Did you ever drive with a flat on that wheel? Even if it was only a short distance? That can cause similar damage if you did.

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
Did you ever drive with a flat on that wheel? Even if it was only a short distance? That can cause similar damage if you did.

As I said, yes- I had to drive 30 miles but the tire was not totally flat, but it was very low.

I am going to inspect under the car now and see if I can see anything rubbing. I think the guys installing the new tires (btw which was a totally different place then where I got my last alignment) would have told me if they felt something was rubbing.

I appreciate all the responses

Teksid281

Banned
^ What he said. A combo of poor alignment and driving with the tire flat/semi-flat is most definitely what caused that. I see it everyday, Honda boy lowers his car, doesn't have it aligned correctly, buys one tire every month until he mercifully wraps the car around a tree. Only in this case you drive a Mustang, and you need to have it looked at asap man. Not busting on you, just giving an example of what will happen if you just put the Goodyears on and forget about it.

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
^ What he said. A combo of poor alignment and driving with the tire flat/semi-flat is most definitely what caused that. I see it everyday, Honda boy lowers his car, doesn't have it aligned correctly, buys one tire every month until he mercifully wraps the car around a tree. Only in this case you drive a Mustang, and you need to have it looked at asap man. Not busting on you, just giving an example of what will happen if you just put the Goodyears on and forget about it.

When I purchased the new tires, an alignment was done.

supercarkiller

griggsg40svt
Established Member
tread seperation for sure if they are over 5 years old u won't go any warrenty. just something to keep in mind. there is a mfg. date on the tire

03Cobra04GT

Under Construction
Established Member
This is definetaly alignment wear. Look at the tread on inside of the tire..I bet it has been worn out for a while. There is problem an alignment//camber problem. I work for a Firestone in Ocala. Take it to a local Firestone Complete Auto Care and they offer a free alignment check so you can know if it is off or not. It will be hard getting warranty on that tire. Manufactures reccomend alignments to be checked every 6 months.

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
This is definetaly alignment wear. Look at the tread on inside of the tire..I bet it has been worn out for a while. There is problem an alignment//camber problem. I work for a Firestone in Ocala. Take it to a local Firestone Complete Auto Care and they offer a free alignment check so you can know if it is off or not. It will be hard getting warranty on that tire. Manufactures reccomend alignments to be checked every 6 months.

Again, I did get an alignment 6 months ago, and the tires are only 2 years old. I am not looking to get the tire replaced- I have already purchased a different set of new tires (which hook MUCH better then these! I was very surprised!) I just didnt know if this was due to a poor alignment or an actual faulty tire.

Thanks!

Teksid281

Banned
You could have had your car aligned yesterday and it could still be done incorrectly. Maybe you had it done at a shop who's motto is "set the toe and let 'er go."

Users who are viewing this thread