Porting a Whipple?

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Hmm I was just informed that I can't do a spacer because of the Bypass valve lol. Oops! I think I got ahead of myself without really sitting down and studying this. I'll look at this really good tomorrow and post what will be tried next if this doesn't do the job.

SonicTerminator

Whistle Box Equipped 4.6
Established Member
brian, when you get the elbows down to a science i will send you mine...i will let someone else go through trial and error first, and pay them for expertise.

by the way, is there silicone or gaskets on the back where the elbow attaches. reason i am asking i bought my whipple used from a member on here and it is full of oil from the car it was on (no filters on the PCV lines) and i also would like to repack those rear bearings with fresh grease before i put it all on. what oil are you guys running in your whipples?

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
I'd call Whipple on the oil. Also I haven't had a Whipple completely apart so if you're going to call them on the oil I'd get their opinion on the grease also.

You can use RTV sealant on your inlet. Just make sure it's only a thin layer so it doesn't squeeze out to much and gets back to where it could come off on the inside and then go through your rotors. You can see the newer ones have an o-ring gasket in them.

saleen09

Slow A$$ Kenne Bell Cobra
Established Member
One logistical problem I see with Posi's preliminary desisgn is tightening the supercharger plate bolt undernearth the plenum. Clearance is tight with a STOCK shaped plenum as is ...

SonicTerminator

Whistle Box Equipped 4.6
Established Member
geeez....looks like i opened up a can of worms here...i think i will just take the plenum off and clean it up some, nothing major.

SVTkel

SVTKel
Established Member
When I put my Whipple on I took a good look at the plenum and my first thought was, why in the hell is the intake to the S/C so restrcitive (bend and area). Then when I put the blower on the car, I was thinking, why in the hell is there no damn room at the back of the S/C.

My point is that the intake appears that it should be designed differently however space abd layout is a concern. Most of all the plenum should have been like the Eaton's in the sense that it is REMOVABLE!!!!!!!!

Thump_rrr

Established Member
Adam at ST Motorsports in Cali. has been cutting and welding up the KB inlet elbows on the S197's with substantial gains. I don't want to link other forums so if you search under his name you'll find what I'm talking about.

357cstang

Used to have a fast Cobra
Established Member
Godstang, what posi is doing will do the same thing as we did on our 3.4L inlets. The capacity posi speaks of is more volume which helps flow, which you refer to as CFMs. I also don't think the restrictions in the 2.3L and 3.4L are the same. More than likely our inlets could also benefit from the modification Posi is planning, a restriction which the crusher addresses.

Here are some pictures of my inlet:
IMG_1474.jpg

IMG_1465.jpg

IMG_1475.jpg

357cstang

Established Member
LOL

It will work, it's proven to work, and numerous people have done it. Why is welding on a Whipple inlet not a good idea?

IMG_1466.jpg

Looks like a pretty good idea to me... then again we're just making over 650RWHP.

Opinions suck!

FleeMan

Established Member
Premium Member
That won't work and how do you know where to cut that wont hurt them without data, flow numbers, dyno numbers and many tests? Whipple's are not cheap to replace. Welding on them, not such a good idea.
Go for it.
Stiegemeier

:whine:

Way to try to shit on anothers idea.:fart:

Keep up the good work Posi.

GodStang

Established Member
That is not the same. His welding spot was in the wrong place. Yours is in the correct place. As I said in my earlier post (post #13) the restrictions come at the turn and go into the back side his mod was on the inside where its not really needed. Trust me I am not trying to give Posi a hard time. Hes my bud and has saved my ass before when my Lvl 5s messed up. I am just trying to help him get the best bang for his buck.

Go back and look where yours is cut and welded and where Posi was done. Its in two different places.

Godstang, what posi is doing will do the same thing as we did on our 3.4L inlets. The capacity posi speaks of is more volume which helps flow, which you refer to as CFMs. I also don't think the restrictions in the 2.3L and 3.4L are the same. More than likely our inlets could also benefit from the modification Posi is planning, a restriction which the crusher addresses.

Here are some pictures of my inlet:
IMG_1474.jpg

IMG_1465.jpg

IMG_1475.jpg

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
I will be trying two different ideas here. So just stay tuned. That inner radius that I'm doing now is going to be gone either way though. It aint helping matters none. I'll look into the bolt issue also like someone asked.

Thanks for the comments and I'll start a thread as this goes further along.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
LOL

It will work, it's proven to work, and numerous people have done it. Why is welding on a Whipple inlet not a good idea?

IMG_1466.jpg

Looks like a pretty good idea to me... then again we're just making over 650RWHP.

Opinions suck!

That's a hell of a job to say the least! I bet that took a while and looks great.

357cstang

Established Member
That is not the same. His welding spot was in the wrong place. Yours is in the correct place. As I said in my earlier post (post #13) the restrictions come at the turn and go into the back side his mod was on the inside where its not really needed. Trust me I am not trying to give Posi a hard time. Hes my bud and has saved my ass before when my Lvl 5s messed up. I am just trying to help him get the best bang for his buck.

Go back and look where yours is cut and welded and where Posi was done. Its in two different places.

Sorry, I wasn't clear in my approach earlier. While I agree the areas addressed with my weld/hack job were necessary, the area he's addressing is not necessarily a bad idea. My next modifications will be enlarging that same area, both on the front and back side however. I may end up cutting off the flanges and fabricating an entire sheetmetal inlet instead, which will allow a MUCH larger intake.

FYI The bypass valve actuator was also moved in my application to allow a more even flow on the backside. (there's an indentation on the 3.4L's inlet for the small vacuum diaphragm)

Best of luck, keep us updated with what you decide to do. Thanks for the compliments on the inlet, it was well worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread