Porting a Whipple?

SonicTerminator

Whistle Box Equipped 4.6
Established Member
i did a search and i couldn't find anything good, so here i am. i will be putting on my whipple soon, and i was wondering if anyone has ported the inlet elbow on their's? i know it is probably not a good idea to port it too much but just a little clean up and polishing. thanks guys.

FleeMan

Established Member
Premium Member
You wont see much of a gain, but it doesnt hurt to do it. I will be doing mine, when I take the blower back off.

viperstang

Established Member
hey dont know of anyone doing it but i dont think its a bad idea to port the inlet. they put the crusher intake on a 3.4 and made alot more power.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
If you port where you know it won't hurt then why not try? I cut on mine when I bought it and now I'm trying to make a new modified custom inlet. Here's a few pic's.

Took the radius out where the flange starts. If you have yours in front of you it's easy to see where I cut.

Whippleinlet007.jpg

Started on the new larger inlet but it's not to far yet lol. If this works I'll be modifying stock inlets for $.

Whippleinlet009.jpg

864svt

powered by svt
Established Member
If you port where you know it won't hurt then why not try? I cut on mine when I bought it and now I'm trying to make a new modified custom inlet. Here's a few pic's.

Took the radius out where the flange starts. If you have yours in front of you it's easy to see where I cut.

Started on the new larger inlet but it's not to far yet lol. If this works I'll be modifying stock inlets for $.

Whippleinlet009.jpg
^^^looks like its missing something???

vulture

Established Member
^^^looks like its missing something???

lol , yeah , its missing a section that will be welded on with a bigger piece of metal . more airflow to the rotors means more power ! Is this a hard concept to grasp ?:shrug:

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Yes that hole will be welded back up with some new aluminum plates lol. Here's a pic of it mocked up.

Also just because people say "you can't port a twinscrew" doesn't mean it can't be attempted.

whippleinlet004.jpg

GodStang

Established Member
Ok this is what it breaks down to...supplying enough CFMs through your inlet to feed the amount of CFMs your blower is flowing. More CFMs your blower is flowing the more porting the inlet will help. If your blower is flowing 900cfms and your inlet flows 1000cfms porting it will do nothing. Now if you are flowing 1500cfms and your inlet flows 1000cfms then opening it up will see huge gains.

For instance my Setup is flowing 1550cfms and my inlet flows 1004cfms. I am about to switch to the MPH inlet which flows 1800cfms. I should see 60-100rwhp gains and at the point that the blower flows more than the stock inlet can take in on the new blower the dyno graph will break off and see greater numbers from that point on. My setup its at 3000rpms.

GodStang

Established Member
Posi the restriction is not there. Its at the bend and at the back of the blower. Your best gains would be from extending the back. Talk to 04TorchRed (Skyler) he had his stock one done.

864svt