Ported Cobra Jet install

TurboX2

Established Member
I picked up the FRPP Cobra Jet kit for my 2011 and will be installing hopefully sometime next week. Also picked up a used x-pipe and ordered Magnaflow cats to weld into it, that will go on first. In the meantime I've got the intake about 75% done porting it, they are truly shockingly poorly made for a $750 performance part. There are pieces of the intake that are glued together, and are poorly aligned and leave huge seam voids on the inside. In the first picture you can see the mismatch as the left side of the runner hangs into the port (not bad for flow), and on the right the gasket flange sticks out into the port creating a protrusion that the air runs into (very bad for flow). You can't just grind the flange out to where the runner is or you'll end up mismatched with the head.
CJ11.jpg

Second picture partially finished runner with the area behind the flange filled with two-part plastic adhesive, a couple of them were as much as 1/8" step!!
CJ12.jpg

I forgot to take a picture of the throttle body inlet before I started grinding, but suffice to say it can use a lot of work. The loose material there is about 1/2 what I ended up with... You can somewhat see the huge groove left where two pieces join together.
CJ13.jpg

Mostly done inlet before I went back worked the curve on the roof (bottom of picture) a little more and started finishing smoother.
CJ14.jpg

I'll try to get some better pics as I get things finished up. I was planning to do a before and after dyno but I have to drive quite a ways and not sure I want to do that and pay twice, but should for sure have after results. I already have a new tune from Shaun@AED burning up my inbox so I need to get this stuff on the car... :rockon:

TurboX2

Established Member
I've done quite a bit of porting on pushrod heads and intakes in the past, so I have a box full of stuff. I use a pneumatic die grinder and a couple carbide burrs for all of the main porting. Sandpaper cartridge rolls work pretty well on the plastic, but leave a somewhat rough surface. The best thing for smoothing is called a flap wheel, for example...

http://www.amazon.com/Merit-Perform...tem_diameter_string-bin:1-1/2+inches|1+inches

I have a few from years ago and have had a hard time finding a source to buy just a couple more in like 320 grit for this project (I have 80 and 180), if I find something I'll link it for others.

TurboX2

Established Member
What kind of epoxy did you use on the plastic? No problems with adhesion?

There should be several at a hardware store, I picked one from JB Weld as their normal product has worked well for me filling corners on aluminum intakes and things like that. I did some testing on a different piece of plastic to test adhesion and I'm satisfied that it will hold fine here as it's a small area and there's no stress on it. You do however need a rough surface, I used a cartridge roll to rough up the areas before applying it. I should also state that I don't have measurements for the ports on the head yet for port matching, I'm assuming Ford's plastic flange should be pretty accurate but haven't verified it. Once I pull my stock intake I'll check the match against the heads and if I find that there's room to enlarge the flange on the intake to that side I'll go back and remove that filler.

oldbones

The blue bowtie
Established Member
There should be several at a hardware store, I picked one from JB Weld as their normal product has worked well for me filling corners on aluminum intakes and things like that. I did some testing on a different piece of plastic to test adhesion and I'm satisfied that it will hold fine here as it's a small area and there's no stress on it. You do however need a rough surface, I used a cartridge roll to rough up the areas before applying it. I should also state that I don't have measurements for the ports on the head yet for port matching, I'm assuming Ford's plastic flange should be pretty accurate but haven't verified it. Once I pull my stock intake I'll check the match against the heads and if I find that there's room to enlarge the flange on the intake to that side I'll go back and remove that filler.

There isn't any extra space.
52f289fa-1c51-46b0-a1e0-6e56a02300e1.jpg

TurboX2

Established Member
Is that one of those old photos of Loch Ness? I think I see her! :pepper:

Found the flap wheels I was looking for....

https://www.mscdirect.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product/details/72373103

When I ran it through near purchase with two of them in the cart shipping more than doubled it, so since I'm almost done I skipped it for this one. If I end up doing any more with these plastic intakes I'll pick some up.

TurboX2

Established Member
Started the install this morning but hit the first snags... With the provided fuel rail spacers the injectors don't push down far enough to seat properly, and while looking at it I pulled an injector out of the rail and the o-ring tore.... :fm: I'm off to a parts store and then will investigate the height more when I get back. Anybody with a Boss or CJ have trouble with the fuel rail height?

CJ18.jpg

TurboX2

Established Member
After a trip for o-rings, which I wouldn't have needed if the intake spacers weren't the wrong height as I wouldn't have pulled an injector out of the rail if not for that :fm: , I've got it all buttoned up. Shortened the injector spacers by .140...

CJ20.jpg

...and then finished up the rest of it...

CJ19.jpg

I'm getting the new tune transferred right now and hope to drive it soon... :thumbsup:

Famine

Established Member
That's weird. In the thread that was posted from Shaun, there wasn't any issues with the cj manifold injectors seating according to him. I guess it's still a possibility?

TurboX2

Established Member
I think they just hadn't seen it yet. It seems Ford is getting the shorter extensions in most kits, but stock height extensions are a possibility and need to be shortened or you'll have issues....

Famine

Established Member
What is the correct length of the shortened extensions? That way people could have a way to measure and know for sure with no guessing.

TurboX2

Established Member
What is the correct length of the shortened extensions? That way people could have a way to measure and know for sure with no guessing.

According to the thread I linked 2.914". I couldn't find my dial caliper in my mess of a shop so just milled off the same .140" that Shaun came up with.

how does it drive? Looks great!

Unfortunately inital impression is very "meh"...... Can't say it really feels faster, definately pulls a lot more rpm but also definately softer down low. Compared to my last datalog with just Airaid and BBK t.b. and 20 degree cooler weather I've added the offroad x and CJ setup and I'm .5 second slower from 3000-6500, .5 second slower 4000-6500, and .6 seconds faster from 5000-6500. Maf lb/min at 6500 is quite a bit lower now than it was before it that tells us anything, though the air meter tube is different so I don't know how directly comparable it is. I sent a datalog to Shaun but I would think will be waiting till Monday for a reply... For a setup that should have been ~390rwhp before and 430+ now I would expect it to feel a whole lot different...

Swine

Established Member
According to the thread I linked 2.914". I couldn't find my dial caliper in my mess of a shop so just milled off the same .140" that Shaun came up with.

Unfortunately inital impression is very "meh"...... Can't say it really feels faster, definately pulls a lot more rpm but also definately softer down low. Compared to my last datalog with just Airaid and BBK t.b. and 20 degree cooler weather I've added the offroad x and CJ setup and I'm .5 second slower from 3000-6500, .5 second slower 4000-6500, and .6 seconds faster from 5000-6500. Maf lb/min at 6500 is quite a bit lower now than it was before it that tells us anything, though the air meter tube is different so I don't know how directly comparable it is. I sent a datalog to Shaun but I would think will be waiting till Monday for a reply... For a setup that should have been ~390rwhp before and 430+ now I would expect it to feel a whole lot different...

I mean, that is the tq/hp trade off right? Give it up down low to gain back up high where matters in a race?

(Besides the fact that the CJ isnt supposed to give it up down low...right?)

Users who are viewing this thread