Ported Cobra Jet install

zinc03svt

Big Red
Established Member
Tuning should bring back the torque. I was faster on a hotter and higher DA day versus stock intake. I also was seeing 4-5 degrees more timing on my stock intake tune. Giving Lund a try on this CJ setup now.

TurboX2

Established Member
I mean, that is the tq/hp trade off right? Give it up down low to gain back up high where matters in a race?

(Besides the fact that the CJ isnt supposed to give it up down low...right?)

Yup, I'm sure that's most of it. I can't remember the temp when I datalogged previously either so it could be closer to 30 degrees difference so not so fair to compare. Just not really what I want for powerband.. (so why'd I buy it, right? :rolling: ). I looked a lot at used blowers before trying this, I think I'm gonna pull the CJ and put it into a blower instead...

zinc03svt

Big Red
Established Member
Yup, I'm sure that's most of it. I can't remember the temp when I datalogged previously either so it could be closer to 30 degrees difference so not so fair to compare. Just not really what I want for powerband.. (so why'd I buy it, right? :rolling: ). I looked a lot at used blowers before trying this, I think I'm gonna pull the CJ and put it into a blower instead...

A 30 temp change will make a big difference. These cars love 40-50 degree dense air. It's hot now...

TurboX2

Established Member
Just took the car out for a spin in 65 degree air instead of 80+ and it of course made a nice difference and ripped up top pretty good. That being said I'm still gonna go a different route and pull this off and resume looking for a used blower... :rolling:

zinc03svt

Big Red
Established Member
You must have been expecting to much out of an intake manifold. The power gains both at peak and under the curve are all above 5k rpms versus stock intake. Proper tuning should at least match the stock IM torque. Where this intake shines is actually holding peak power from 6800-7800 rpms without the falloff. Meaning you stay in the powerband longer up top. Good luck... lol.

Bullitt 3309

Established Member
OP, Who's tuning you? I did the CJ Swap combined with headers and exhaust cams. Car absolutley roast the tires from a 40 mph roll in second gear. When it hits 4K rpm all hell breaks loose. Sure i lost some low end, but it just pulls to 8k with out a hitch. I'm AED tuned right now, but might go to Lund with the new nGauge...

TurboX2

Established Member
I haven't seen anyone who's had a problem with Shaun's tuning, and I've got way too much money into them to go start throwing more at someone else... :nonono:

zinc03svt

Big Red
Established Member
OP, so you would rather sell your CJ for a loss (more money out the window) and buy supercharger used (a lot more money) versus possibly looking at different options tuning wise...? I'm sure AED will adjust the tunes from your logs. Get out and road log it. Dyno's are not the same. JMO.

What's your timing look like? What kind of fuel are you using? Octane? I'm getting 31 degrees with no knock. Runs great IMO. No it's not a supercharger, but I'm not expecting that kind of power.

TurboX2

Established Member
OP, so you would rather sell your CJ for a loss (more money out the window) and buy supercharger used (a lot more money) versus possibly looking at different options tuning wise...? I'm sure AED will adjust the tunes from your logs. Get out and road log it. Dyno's are not the same. JMO.

What's your timing look like? What kind of fuel are you using? Octane? I'm getting 31 degrees with no knock. Runs great IMO. No it's not a supercharger, but I'm not expecting that kind of power.

If I thought a different tuner would make a big difference I would try it, but if I thought that I wouldn't have gone with AED in the first place, now would I? I did log and get an update... Stock intake is back on, torque is back, top end charge all gone.... :lol1:

I fully realize how inefficiently I've gone about this, I've had 10 Mustangs spread over 22 years so I'm no newb... I was looking hard at used blowers but couldn't bring myself to put that much into one, thought maybe I'd be happy with more n/a power so I gave it a shot, it's not what I want so I'm just gonna back up a step for now...

Users who are viewing this thread