Polygraph..

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
It depends on the type of poly, if it is a lifestyle poly, etc. Typically you are asked all the questions before the machine is even hooked up to you. At that point the examiner will ask you to clarify any answers that cant be answered yes or no. He should also allow you the opportunity to explain an answer and then he will change the question to fit your parameters.

svt4cobra6

I am one of the types that does everything by the book, not even a speeding ticket in 30 years of driving but think I could fail the test just because of nerves!

Blade Runner

Texas; We'll kick ur ass!
Established Member
I took one when I was applying at Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Office. It wasn't all that bad, although I was kinda nervous. The tester went over the Q's with me before the test, and was very reassuring. I'm sure he went a little easy on me, since my (now ex) stepdad in law was a Lt. in IA. Yup, the good 'ole boy system. Gotta love it! But anyhoo, just relax, get plenty of rest, and be honost. You'll be fine. Good luck, and Godspeed!

FordSVTFan

Established Member
I am one of the types that does everything by the book, not even a speeding ticket in 30 years of driving but think I could fail the test just because of nerves!

Nervousness is taken into account when the baseline is set. If there is a deviation on a specific question, that would be associated with deception not general nervousness.

Mr5150

Oh man. I remember when the examiner told me I failed the polygraph. He said that I lied about doing drugs(never done drugs. EVER), that I lied about beating my girlfriend up(never done that either), that I wasn't born in the state of Alabama(I was..) and that my first name isn't Stewart(It is).

They still hired me.

What I wanna know is why in the world the machine kicked off when he asked about drugs and domestic violence? Sometimes, past experiences can make you extremely nervous is the only thing I can think of. My dad beat my mom when I was a kid and both my older siblings were heavy into drugs when I was younger. But why would it kick off when he asked about my birth state and about my first name?? :??:

FordSVTFan

Established Member
Oh man. I remember when the examiner told me I failed the polygraph. He said that I lied about doing drugs(never done drugs. EVER), that I lied about beating my girlfriend up(never done that either), that I wasn't born in the state of Alabama(I was..) and that my first name isn't Stewart(It is).

They still hired me.

What I wanna know is why in the world the machine kicked off when he asked about drugs and domestic violence? Sometimes, past experiences can make you extremely nervous is the only thing I can think of. My dad beat my mom when I was a kid and both my older siblings were heavy into drugs when I was younger. But why would it kick off when he asked about my birth state and about my first name?? :??:

I wont get into specifics, but it is part of the test known as a "challenge." You didnt fail the test.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Is that why they kept trying to get me to admit I had lied and that I had done drugs and beat my women?

probably ... at some point during the test they always "challenge" you in some way. How far they push it depends on the polygrapher. I have had them ask a simple "well what bothered you about that set of questions" or "why do you think you reacted to that set" LOL! most of the time it was over something that I knew I had been 100% honest about and just said .. no clue .. nothing that I can think about. and they moved on ... getting upset over it does no good.

astrodudepsu

1of72 Hater
Established Member
probably ... at some point during the test they always "challenge" you in some way. How far they push it depends on the polygrapher. I have had them ask a simple "well what bothered you about that set of questions" or "why do you think you reacted to that set" LOL! most of the time it was over something that I knew I had been 100% honest about and just said .. no clue .. nothing that I can think about. and they moved on ... getting upset over it does no good.

I got that too. I was like wtf, the questions i was challenged on had NO relevance to my life/experiences. I sort of caught on towards the end when he said that he was satisfied with my answers and everything looked good. God I was worried for a min or two though.

Users who are viewing this thread