Polishing VMP APEX Predator Lid?

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member
I’m about to do a Ported Blower Swap on the FifeHundo and I’m Considering Polishing up THE INSIDE of my VMP APEX pred lid while I got it torn down. Any thoughts on this?

Image1702683691.878788.jpg

Last edited:

Bullitt1448

Established Member
Lots of elbow grease and patience. It will look great when you’re done though. The little nooks and crannies will drive you nuts but the end result is worth it.

Tezz500

Established Member
Well thats what im trying to fugre out if itll be worth doing it. It doesnt look HORRIBLE... but its definitely not SMOOTH...

Im curious what the gains would be from it.
Lots of elbow grease and patience. It will look great when you’re done though. The little nooks and crannies will drive you nuts but the end result is worth it.

Bullitt1448

Established Member
Well thats what im trying to fugre out if itll be worth doing it. It doesnt look HORRIBLE... but its definitely not SMOOTH...

Im curious what the gains would be from it.
There was a post on here about someone polishing an ‘01 Bullitt intake manifold. Last I read he got about 1/2 through and gave up. Not sure if he ever completed that project or not

Tezz500

Established Member
Whoops…

I know just enough to be dangerous but I have seen it mentioned plenty of times that there are circumstances where perfectly smooth actually isn’t the best air flow.

Yea that’s one reason I’m poking around to see if anyone’s done it. It’s not like it’s the runners on the blower. It’s the lid… idk how that impacts performance and whether or not it would make a different enough to spend the time on it.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Whoops…

I know just enough to be dangerous but I have seen it mentioned plenty of times that there are circumstances where perfectly smooth actually isn’t the best air flow.
I remember reading that back in the day when people started to port the Eaton for Terminators, but I can't find a thread and can't really remember the reason why it wasn't recommended. There's a reason why supercharger porters don't usually offer an inside polishing option, maybe above it being time consuming/expensive. I did find a post on a forum that was discussing whether or not polishing the inside of an intake manifold was good or bad. I thought this post was worth sharing since it kind of sheds a little light on whether or not polishing the inside of a blower is beneficial or not.

"For everyone that thinks an intake manifold should be as smooth as possible, or as "smooth as glass," take a look inside Hogans Racing manifolds, Wilsons manifolds, port jobs, etc. You'll notice they'll keep a semi rough finish in the runners/plenum/ports. Typically something your finger nails will catch, but still feel somewhat smooth to the tips of your fingers.

As for it being VERY BAD, not exactly. Typically, a casted surface is too rough, therefore even polishing it to a "smooth as glass" finish will help performance. However, if polished with a semi rough surface, it'll help squeeze out some more power. I'm not saying your going to gain loads of power with a semi rough surface, but when it comes down to it, it'll yield greater results than a perfectly smooth finish.

Something else you want to keep in mind is the fuel. As well as injecting water/alcohol. A small amount of turbulence will help them mix with the air better. However, injector placement has a large effect on this as well.

Bottom line, a "smooth as glass" finish is typically better than a casted or extremely rough surface, and a semi rough finish will usually yield the best results.

Oh, and before someone brings up the extrude hone process, most racers only use this process to enlarge runners. They'll usually go back and rough the surface up some."

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
I am legit surprised that Kong or Jokerz does not offer a lid polishing option. Seems like an easy way to lighten the pocket of schmucks like me.

Hell, I am adding the gen 3 Kong lid to my zr1 even though I already have the gen 2. I just couldn't live with myself if I lost to a dude because my lid wasn't the latest and greatest.

Tezz500

Established Member
I am legit surprised that Kong or Jokerz does not offer a lid polishing option. Seems like an easy way to lighten the pocket of schmucks like me.

Hell, I am adding the gen 3 Kong lid to my zr1 even though I already have the gen 2. I just couldn't live with myself if I lost to a dude because my lid wasn't the latest and greatest.

100% shut up and take my money lol.

I had planned on doing it myself but yea it kinda shocked me there wasn’t really any options for it. Which probably explains why it’s not really a thing that would be worth it.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

You might have just given Stiegemeier an idea for a new Stage 9 porting package. LOL.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Polishing the lid will do nothing for air flow. Porting and polishing the blower now another story.

I had a billet lid on my Hellcat. It was about 2 inches taller and the only advantage was slightly more air volume and it sounded great lol other than that there was no power gains I could ever see.

Have u considfered sending the Blower to Kong? U could upgarde to the 108mm TB with porting.

Users who are viewing this thread