Votes: 170 95.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
how hard is the up-keep once you do this?

looks amazing and next weekend i might have a friend help me do this.
It is very easy to up-keep once done. I usually hit mine once a month or so by hand with Mothers Mag Aluminum Polish and it has been that way for a few years now.

Blk98Slobra

Established Member
Great thread! I polished my catback up a little bit, but having an SRA sucks because you can't see shit. When I can find someone to do an IRS swap with me, I'll definately do this!

deannyc

Str8
Established Member
To the OP.
Noticed you used the Mothers polish. A few nights ago a friend and I spent a whole day detailing a 96 Supra, with 150k miles on it.
The wheels are pegd at 75-80k miles and were worn and just all around dulled/faded. Typical PH balance problems + aluminum. They were either true forged, or volk. Deep Dish, cant remember. Polished Aluminum.
I went through three different polishes including the mothers before I finally gave up and ran to the store.
I ended up with Black Magic-Titanium-Wheel Polish. It is safe for all types of metal, and I was dumb-founded by the results. Literally 2 minutes of hand polishing with my microfiber mit, and all of my body weight, surpassed the previous 3-4 hours using the Mothers and other varius mag polishes..
Mind you this was all done by hand.
Just wondering if you have ever used the product, and couldnt help but fathom what it would do for the exhaust.
Eitherway great job, it came out superb.
Check out the product, im sure you wont regret it.
No I dont work for BlackMagic.. But if their listening, im recently unemployed, and graduating from college next week... I could use a job.

Last edited:

03COBRA-88

Established Member
Has anyone tried this on their flowmasters? I know it won't come out looking like chrome, but it has to make it look alittle bit better. My car sits in the garage and never sees rain so I'm not worried taking off the protective coating off the exhaust.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
To the OP.
Noticed you used the Mothers polish. A few nights ago a friend and I spent a whole day detailing a 96 Supra, with 150k miles on it.
The wheels are pegd at 75-80k miles and were worn and just all around dulled/faded. Typical PH balance problems + aluminum. They were either true forged, or volk. Deep Dish, cant remember. Polished Aluminum.
I went through three different polishes including the mothers before I finally gave up and ran to the store.
I ended up with Black Magic-Titanium-Wheel Polish. It is safe for all types of metal, and I was dumb-founded by the results. Literally 2 minutes of hand polishing with my microfiber mit, and all of my body weight, surpassed the previous 3-4 hours using the Mothers and other varius mag polishes..
Mind you this was all done by hand.
Just wondering if you have ever used the product, and couldnt help but fathom what it would do for the exhaust.
Eitherway great job, it came out superb.
Check out the product, im sure you wont regret it.
No I dont work for BlackMagic.. But if their listening, im recently unemployed, and graduating from college next week... I could use a job.
I will have to check it out. Never used it before. Thanks. :beer:

Has anyone tried this on their flowmasters? I know it won't come out looking like chrome, but it has to make it look alittle bit better. My car sits in the garage and never sees rain so I'm not worried taking off the protective coating off the exhaust.
As with most aluminized or coated system, even if you don't see rain, the humidity would cause it to rust very quickly.

I would leave the coating on and not mess with it personally.

Can this be done on the SS Magnaflow catback?
Yes, There have been many of them done with great results. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

RazorGTP

Oilsands Baby!
Established Member
I will have to check it out. Necer used it before. Thanks. :beer:

As with most aluminized or coated system, even if you don't see rain, the humidity would cause it to rust very quickly.

I would leave the coating on and not mess with it personally.

Yes, There have been many of them done with great results. :thumbsup:

Excellent, thanks! :beer:

RazorGTP

Oilsands Baby!
Established Member
I'm in the middle of doing this right now but was wondering about how to do the tips. Do you just use the polish and buffing wheel? Skip the sanding?

RazorGTP

Oilsands Baby!
Established Member
Correct! :thumbsup:

Progress so far on this project.

I used an 80grit flapper wheel and did the entire pipe then sanded up to 320. I am going to try and find a 120 and 240 flapper wheel and tomorrow. The sanding takes forever!

before3.jpg

before.jpg

before4.jpg

before2.jpg

progress.jpg

*Update

Here they are done up to 1500 grit. I could not polish them because I could not find any buffing attachments for a drill in this freakin town. I put them back on as is and when i get a cotton wheel I'll do it with 2000 and buff/polish.

unpolished.jpg

unpolished2.jpg

unpolished3.jpg

Last edited:

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Progress so far on this project.

I used an 80grit flapper wheel and did the entire pipe then sanded up to 320. I am going to try and find a 120 and 240 flapper wheel and tomorrow. The sanding takes forever!

*Update

Here they are done up to 1500 grit. I could not polish them because I could not find any buffing attachments for a drill in this freakin town. I put them back on as is and when i get a cotton wheel I'll do it with 2000 and buff/polish.
You should be able to find them at Home Depot or Sears. I have seen them at both places. If not you can order them from Harbour Freight.

Took a pic today.

attachment.php
Looking good! :rockon:

Slow06GT

Established Member
for the buffing wheel step do you put the polish on with a rag then buff it off with the wheel or just use the wheel to buff it on?

Users who are viewing this thread