Police shoot unarmed autistic 13 year old boy

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
family and friends in Europe are baffled at how quickly police in the US go through training and are handed a gun and a badge.
Can't keep them on the force.

Defunding them will only make it worse.

The other problem is...

Do we let anyone be a cop to encourage diversity and inclusion? Or do we set standards?

If we set standards.... Will we match them with pay and opportunity?

Who wants to be an eagle scout with a bachelors degree, compete a rigorous background check, do two years of training, two years of working in a country jail to finally get a squad car and work 12 hour nights making $40k a year and get fired the minute someone makes a complaint?

Either way, body cameras should become federally mandatory. HD video technology is so damn cheap today any single lawsuit these departs lose would fund cameras for 20 years.

It would go a long way towards at least correcting the narrative on some of the hystics in the media..

AssPikle

Established Member
You know, if jack asses would stop shooting at police, maybe they would be more chill. If you went to work every day where people are either threatening to kill you or are literally trying to kill you, you might be a little trigger happy as well. This poor kid (assuming he did nothing wrong) can thank the dipshits that keep shooting at cops.

Kevins89notch

Established Member
Defunding them will only make it worse.

"Defunding" was/is a horribly stupid wording on the left's part.

Here's one such example of what the left wants: Kentucky town hires social workers instead of more officers - and the results are surprising

Instead of working at another agency and waiting for a referral from a police department after a crisis, Pompilio works side-by-side with officers to respond as calls come in.

“Every day is different. We have no idea what’s going to come our way,” Pompilio said. “The main calls are domestic violence, mental health and substance abuse.”

After four years on the job, Pompilio said there has been a significant drop in repeat 911 calls with approximately 15 percent fewer people going to jail.

Kevins89notch

Established Member
The last sentence above is not necessarily due to a social worker being employed.

Read more of the article. If a cop goes to said address because the husband is drunk and threw something...wife refuses to press charges, husband is told to go sleep at a friend's house, cop leaves. Guess what's gonna happen next friday night again? A social worker can help get him into AA, counseling for the couple perhaps, etc. That wouldn't work 100% of the time, but seems it has helped in their city.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
Read more of the article. If a cop goes to said address because the husband is drunk and threw something...wife refuses to press charges, husband is told to go sleep at a friend's house, cop leaves. Guess what's gonna happen next friday night again? A social worker can help get him into AA, counseling for the couple perhaps, etc. That wouldn't work 100% of the time, but seems it has helped in their city.

Isn't a great deal of police work discretionary? The factors possibly coming into play are numerous and that can include the social worker, different societal attitudes, perhaps how the cops react, etc.., but to solely attribute it on one is misguided.

Last edited:

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Yeah, and how long before all these social workers get burned out or sued?

Also, unarmed social worker shows up, husband then beats his/her face into the ground in a drunken rage.... Social works say they need to be armed....

nomoretickets

Established Member

Also, unarmed social worker shows up, husband then beats his/her face into the ground in a drunken rage.... Social works say they need to be armed....
Here's a thought. Maybe we just try it and see what happens? Because when autistic kids in need of help are getting shot in their own homes, I think we can all agree that the status quo isn't working.

And for real, I know there's lots of cops in here. Did any of y'all sign up to be social workers or mental healthcare professionals?

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member
Here's a thought. Maybe we just try it and see what happens? Because when autistic kids in need of help are getting shot in their own homes, I think we can all agree that the status quo isn't working.

And for real, I know there's lots of cops in here. Did any of y'all sign up to be social workers or mental healthcare professionals?

try it and see what happens almost caused my state to die.

Our lovely democratic governor got elected and wanted to “ ban fracking “ to see what happens. And see how it effects life 3 years from ban

she then realized it would crash the entire state economy, close schools, and put hundreds of thousands of people out of work...

But yeah. Try and see what happens. That definitely works on the broad scale

nomoretickets

Established Member
try it and see what happens almost caused my state to die.

Our lovely democratic governor got elected and wanted to “ ban fracking “ to see what happens. And see how it effects life 3 years from ban

she then realized it would crash the entire state economy, close schools, and put hundreds of thousands of people out of work...

But yeah. Try and see what happens. That definitely works on the broad scale

Okay. Is there actually any risk of that happening if we give more funding to social workers and mental healthcare workers?

jaxbusa

Established Member
I’ll wait for all of the facts before I cast judgment on the parties in the story. You guys have raised a question. My area has a women’s shelter, homeless shelter, two mental health facilities, and churches of every denomination that offer just about every kind of help. Does your city have any of that?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

MG0h3

Established Member
No matter the circumstances, this whole thing is tragic for all involved.

But put things into perspective, the child’s own parent determined that he was so out of control, she had to call the police.

There’s only a couple reasons that you call the police.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Having worked in pediatric psych...and tangled with several kids his age i can tell ya i had to use some very dirty tricks sometimes to get the upper had

I once got legit bench pressed by a 15 yo girl who barely weighed 100lbs (i weigh 200)

With autistic kids and those with other disorders you never know what toure getting into

I cant speak for this kids deal because im sure there are tons of facts missing

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member

Will we see ALM protests soon? You did say kids as in plural. If the social worker can calm down an autistic (and what ever else wrong) child and do it in a better and easier way than a cop, send the social worker all on his/her own. Try it out and see what happens. The first time the child wipes the floor with said worker all things will change.

No matter the circumstances, this whole thing is tragic for all involved.

But put things into perspective, the child’s own parent determined that he was so out of control, she had to call the police.

There’s only a couple reasons that you call the police.

Can it be said that an autistic child is not as easily calmed down as someone who doesn't have autism, all things being equal? Without a doubt the mother is a simp as her demeanor and comments don't strike me as someone with intelligence and sense. She has an out of control child and it is the responsibility of others to get him under control even though she, mom, can not? The situation is a shame but maybe the child needs to be put somewhere if the parent can not even control him.

Kevins89notch

Established Member

How long before a cop gets burnt out? Oh wait, I'm sure that already happens today.

Clearly says the two they have go with cops. Call of a gang shooting? Social worker stays at the office. Call of a teenage shot pushed his mom and punched a hole in the wall, social worker goes with the officer.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
How long before a cop gets burnt out? Oh wait, I'm sure that already happens today.

Clearly says the two they have go with cops. Call of a gang shooting? Social worker stays at the office. Call of a teenage shot pushed his mom and punched a hole in the wall, social worker goes with the officer.
So we're again increasing the size of the government? We can't even afford two cops to an incident in most cases and now you wants 24/hr coverage for cops and social workers?

How effective do you even think a social worker is going to be?

In your drunk husband scenario, what exactly is the SW going to do?

Dude just clocked the old lady. That's domestic abuse. That's a crime. Are you suggesting we wave that off if he agrees to go to AA?

The impression I get from people pushing this narrative is they really want to just legalize these bad behaviors.

Floyd, no its fine he was shooting fentanyl while driving a car and trying to buy smokes with counterfeit money - what should have happen is someone gets him a some information on the dangers of fentanyl and a shoulder to cry on.

Wendy's dude - so hammered he passed out at a Wendy's while out on Covid Parole - what should have happened was he got his Wendy's and the police gave him a ride home...

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
So we're again increasing the size of the government? We can't even afford two cops to an incident in most cases and now you wants 24/hr coverage for cops and social workers?

A social worker is like when we had a substitute back in high school. Chances are you didn't take them very serious even when they raised their voice. Did he also use an example of a kid pushing (assaulting) his mother and then punching a hole through the sheet rock? The SA will talk to him in a stern manner? The kid shouldn't be arrested?

Kevins89notch

Established Member

Wow, almost as if you would read the article I posted, you could answer your own questions.

Social workers are cheaper than officers and this city, plus a few others that have done it, have seen a positive result.

They've proven it works.

Talk to the wife, get contact info for her, check up with her in 48 hours, suggest counseling, pass along AA info, etc, suggest other services that might be available, etc....you know, social worker stuff?

The police show up after, and deal with the after results. A social worker tries to prevent it from happening.

Dude just clocked the old lady. That's domestic abuse. That's a crime. Are you suggesting we wave that off if he agrees to go to AA?

Congrats, seems you can't even read what I wrote. I specifically said he threw something at her. I never said he hit her with anything, and I even specified she didn't want to press charges.

OK, but playing by your claims, the social worker can still talk to the wife, maybe she's been beaten for years and wants out, but has no friends, and doesn't know how to escape her abusive husband. If only a social worker existed to help inform her of women's shelters and ways she could get away? Crazy idea.

Users who are viewing this thread