Police shoot unarmed autistic 13 year old boy

nomoretickets

Established Member
Will we see ALM protests soon? You did say kids as in plural. If the social worker can calm down an autistic (and what ever else wrong) child and do it in a better and easier way than a cop, send the social worker all on his/her own. Try it out and see what happens. The first time the child wipes the floor with said worker all things will change.

Can it be said that an autistic child is not as easily calmed down as someone who doesn't have autism, all things being equal? Without a doubt the mother is a simp as her demeanor and comments don't strike me as someone with intelligence and sense. She has an out of control child and it is the responsibility of others to get him under control even though she, mom, can not? The situation is a shame but maybe the child needs to be put somewhere if the parent can not even control him.
Actually this case is being referenced by BLM and police reform advocates as an example of why reform is needed. As for why there arent protests in the streets, might have something to do with the fact that the system took this incident seriously. Compare that with many other cases where its weeks or months before police even acknowledge something happened that warrants a second look.

And yea, mental health professionals are trained to identify and handle people having manic episodes, non-verbal autism, dissociative states, etc. Its kinda their job. Its a whole different skillset from what police are trained on. Its apparent from the way you talk about it with all the "wipes the floor" language that you fundamentally do no understand mental healthcare. Its not a confrontation. With my family, the worst thing any male could do during a dissociative episode is grab her. Mental health professionals understand that and are trained on how to handle this. Cops are just gonna shout for her to comply and try to restrain her, which would only escalate the situation. There is a difference between law enforcement and mental health crisis. That mom called 911 because she was having an emergency and needed professional help. Unfortunately they sent cops, which is just the wrong tool for the job. Thats the whole point of police reform. Get cops back to just doing what they are actually good at and supposed to do, and create systems to get resources to people who need them but arent able to get them right now.

nomoretickets

Established Member
So we're again increasing the size of the government? We can't even afford two cops to an incident in most cases and now you wants 24/hr coverage for cops and social workers?

How effective do you even think a social worker is going to be?

In your drunk husband scenario, what exactly is the SW going to do?

Dude just clocked the old lady. That's domestic abuse. That's a crime. Are you suggesting we wave that off if he agrees to go to AA?

The impression I get from people pushing this narrative is they really want to just legalize these bad behaviors.

Floyd, no its fine he was shooting fentanyl while driving a car and trying to buy smokes with counterfeit money - what should have happen is someone gets him a some information on the dangers of fentanyl and a shoulder to cry on.

Wendy's dude - so hammered he passed out at a Wendy's while out on Covid Parole - what should have happened was he got his Wendy's and the police gave him a ride home...
Not sure if you really care about the answers or not, but...

If you have a drunk husband who hits is wife, crime or not thats usually gonna end up in pretrial diversion (AA treatment) or plead out with treatment as a condition. So that kinda stuff is already how it plays out. But thats also probably not the first time the cops get called for something, and if there are more social workers embedded in the emergency response system, you might catch that and get the guy into treatment before he clocks his old lady.

With Floyd, he had a history of drug abuse of drug related convictions. What that guy needed was treatment. If at any point he had gotten the drug treatment he needed, maybe he never escalates to fentanyl and doesnt try to spend a fake $20. Its well documented that criminal punishment does not deter drug use, and it does not prevent drug users from returning to drugs. Again, wrong tool for the job.

Wendy's dude needed treatment too. Anyone who gets behind the wheel hammered has a problem. Dude was in the system. If the system actually focused on helping him rather than just doling out largely arbitrary punishment, that encounter doesnt happen.

Its an experiment that has played out over and over and over around the country. When the justice system tries treatment focused sentencing, diversionary program, etc. recidivism goes down and crime goes down.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
Actually this case is being referenced by BLM and police reform advocates as an example of why reform is needed. As for why there arent protests in the streets, might have something to do with the fact that the system took this incident seriously. Compare that with many other cases where its weeks or months before police even acknowledge something happened that warrants a second look.

And yea, mental health professionals are trained to identify and handle people having manic episodes, non-verbal autism, dissociative states, etc. Its kinda their job. Its a whole different skillset from what police are trained on. Its apparent from the way you talk about it with all the "wipes the floor" language that you fundamentally do no understand mental healthcare. Its not a confrontation. With my family, the worst thing any male could do during a dissociative episode is grab her. Mental health professionals understand that and are trained on how to handle this. Cops are just gonna shout for her to comply and try to restrain her, which would only escalate the situation. There is a difference between law enforcement and mental health crisis. That mom called 911 because she was having an emergency and needed professional help. Unfortunately they sent cops, which is just the wrong tool for the job. Thats the whole point of police reform. Get cops back to just doing what they are actually good at and supposed to do, and create systems to get resources to people who need them but arent able to get them right now.

It's whatever the child or distressed person wants it to be. If things were as simple as a social worker solving all the problems, we wouldn't have any elevated to such a serious level. Autistic persons or those with mental issues don't snap? My friend's thirteen year old has gotten physical with her mom in front of me. One minute she's a nice little girl with severe mental issues but then next she's Mrs. Hyde. Read some of the stories in this topic as it seems obvious these people can and do snap.

nomoretickets

Established Member
It's whatever the child or distressed person wants it to be. If things were as simple as a social worker solving all the problems, we wouldn't have any elevated to such a serious level. Autistic persons or those with mental issues don't snap? My friend's thirteen year old has gotten physical with her mom in front of me. One minute she's a nice little girl with severe mental issues but then next she's Mrs. Hyde. Read some of the stories in this topic as it seems obvious these people can and do snap.
Dude, dont speak down to me. My family has lived this struggle for decades now. Its super condescending to suggest I read up on my own life experience.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
So @nomoretickets, you believe the wrong team was called to respond. Question for you, should your responding “mental health professional” be armed?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
Dude, dont speak down to me. My family has lived this struggle for decades now. Its super condescending to suggest I read up on my own life experience.

Give me a reason to talk to you respectfully rather than condescendingly. You make it sound as if social workers are the proverbial Iron Man snap and everything is fixed. If only it were that simple. Must we discount all of the negative experiences in this topic alone because speaking of it causes you distress? I say we keep it on the straight and narrow.

AssPikle

Established Member
As nice as it sounds to just add social workers in place of police, the reality is social workers can only help those that are can be helped. Meaning, for a majority of repeat offenders, their first brush with the law was clearly not enough to sway their decision making in follow on situations. Do we really think social workers will help habitual offenders? You're lying to yourself if you think some polly pocket is going to reach through to a kid who has been abandoned by someone their whole life only to be raised by bad people or bad situations.

The true root of the problem is, offenders are products of a lack of or poor parenting. Adding social workers to join the police is like taking chemo to fight cancer, when you have fatal a bullet wound to the head.

These social workers need to get to these kids before they break the law, not after. Add social workers with funding, but don't pull back the police who are trying to protect the civilians from yesterday's damaged goods.

Autism is not really the reference here, but the message remains. It's terribly difficult to raise a child on the spectrum and even good parents fail and have children end up badly. They need the help and the social workers need to get in there. Not while the police are trying to prevent innocent folks from harm. Its already too late at that point.

jaxbusa

Established Member
As nice as it sounds to just add social workers in place of police, the reality is social workers can only help those that are can be helped. Meaning, for a majority of repeat offenders, their first brush with the law was clearly not enough to sway their decision making in follow on situations. Do we really think social workers will help habitual offenders? You're lying to yourself if you think some polly pocket is going to reach through to a kid who has been abandoned by someone their whole life only to be raised by bad people or bad situations.

The true root of the problem is, offenders are products of a lack of or poor parenting. Adding social workers to join the police is like taking chemo to fight cancer, when you have fatal a bullet wound to the head.

These social workers need to get to these kids before they break the law, not after. Add social workers with funding, but don't pull back the police who are trying to protect the civilians from yesterday's damaged goods.

Autism is not really the reference here, but the message remains. It's terribly difficult to raise a child on the spectrum and even good parents fail and have children end up badly. They need the help and the social workers need to get in there. Not while the police are trying to prevent innocent folks from harm. Its already too late at that point.

This post resonates with me. Locally, I have a lot of services available. If I don’t know exactly who to call, I can call the non emergency police number and they’ll direct me to a service. Every public school I went to had a child psychologist. Help is there if people really want it, but they have to want it. I don’t think having a social Karen come to people’s homes is going to work where I live. I could be wrong. I would just think they would slam their doors on the worker and continue drinking a White Claw. As PikleRick posted, it starts young. Most people who’re going through stressful or tough times have means to get help, at least around where I live. When I was younger, on a police ride along, I went to a domestic call. Some furniture and rugs were moved around and it appeared that there was some kind of shoving. The police spoke with them individually, gave them helpful options and had one sleep at another house that night. I can’t see a social worker doing anything they didn’t do. I don’t know anything about the mental health side of things. In the story the OP posted, and using a social worker model of response, wouldn’t a police officer still need to show up with a social worker for a call of an uncontrollable teen? The story is very vague, but wouldn’t it be reasonable to have a similar tragic outcome? The social worker is not going to go into a house with an uncontrollable person without a police officer. The police officer is now introducing a weapon into the situation and entering into an unfamiliar place with unknown weapons. Just my thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

AssPikle

Established Member
Correct. Again, this is not really related to the autistic child, but with regards to cops shooting people that are in full faculty of their decisions, blaming the cops is just ignorant. Let's ask why the situation even existed in the first place. Why were the cops there? Did they leave their families and go out and find these people just to shoot them?
If anyone says yes, they are ignorant.

Why was there an issue to begin with? Drugs, battery, warrants, breaking the law, etc. Ok, why were these indicators in place? 9/10 times its a person who is an adult or young adult that grew up in a crappy place or was treated badly.

Why are these people in this situation? That answer is easy. Unhealthy home or family life. A majority of offenders white, black, Hispanic, whatever color are products of their upbringing.

Thats exactly where the social workers need to be. Turn the water leak off at the source instead of trying to wrap a rubber band around the end of the hose. Eventually the hose or the rubber band will fail.

Common sense will tell you that. I'll be happy to pay additional taxes to support social workers that are indeed getting with the kids and parents before the issue becomes a real problem.

Only challenge is, the parents need to take responsibility and ask for help, neither of which will happen without change. People only change with pain unfortunately. These poor decision making parents aren't feeling any pain. They need to be held accountable. That's the only way it will change.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
Only challenge is, the parents need to take responsibility and ask for help, neither of which will happen without change. People only change with pain unfortunately. These poor decision making parents aren't feeling any pain. They need to be held accountable. That's the only way it will change.

Parents should be required to undergo some sort of basic training and learn how to handle situations such as the one in question rather than automatically depending on others as an initial strategy.

AssPikle

Established Member
Agreed, but in many cases, the parents can't even take care of themselves. Yet they can spit kids out (also applies to all colors and races) but don't want to take care of them. Middle of nowhere back woods and middle of major cities.

2013GT'ed

Established Member
I might also point out that there is often good help for everyone out there. BUT people don't know where to look or it isn't advertised anywhere near good enough. Let's face it there is no way to reach everyone...even if they were actually trying that hard. I blame the dual working parent household for a lot of whats going on. You gotta think who's raising the kids if the parents have to work their life away in most cases to live a good life.

Users who are viewing this thread