Point where you started to get bored.

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
So post up during your career when you started to get bored and think the military is just using you and your life will just suck.

I'm in a spot in my career that I'm getting bored with my job and tired of the same ole stupid people above me. Tired of my redundant ass job. Been this way for about a year. I however have light at the end of the tunnel. Some might think in nuts but in the middle if all this I reenlisted indef.... Ouch.

Reenlisted so I could meet the time needed to be a recruiter and weird thing is I'm actually excited about it. I'm use to long work hours and bring treated like shit. It's no biggie it's what I get paid to do. Difference is I'm not good with the kind of stuff involving being a recruiter. It's going to be a great chance to learn something new and have a change in pace.

Until I go to school it's taking a lot to keep my mindset right and want to continue to conduct myself in a manner the army expects. I just feel useless in this unit. I grew up in the army deploying so being in a unit that's only purpose is to train other units is boring me to death.

So post up when you were getting stagnant and what changed you.

Cbarr300

Established Member
Got bored after I learned I couldn't deploy anymore. Got it back when I learned I have the opportunity to train my fellow Marines and add some knowledge to their toolbox.

Sirraf

Established Member
You need to deploy dude. I was the same way, but fortunately I was able to volunteer anytime I wanted. Thus why I spent 5 tours overseas. I never got bored with America for longer than a week, and I was gone for 6-8 months to reset. Repeat cycle.

einehund

Established Member
I got bored after I did my Indef reenlistment and I got hosed out of the jobs I had reenlisted for. With that and the retirement cuts and stuff, I'm really second guessing my choice but I'm stuck now. Think long and hard before you do indef.

Chosyn1

I'm your Huckleberry
Established Member
i had the same mindset almost 2 years ago, just bored w/ my job and life in general then i started taking night classes and making some life goals..AA this summer, 2 years til i submit a WO package and 14 years to retirement and my Master's.

stay motivated and focused on the light at the end of the tunnel.

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
I got bored after I did my Indef reenlistment and I got hosed out of the jobs I had reenlisted for. With that and the retirement cuts and stuff, I'm really second guessing my choice but I'm stuck now. Think long and hard before you do indef.

yea its a big jump. i was use to 2 or 3yr contracts and then BAM!!!!! YOUR LIFE IS MINE!!!!!!!!! lol. i spent about a month thinking about it and my wife supported it (probably b/c i gave her all of my GI bill lol). if you got screwed out of a MOS change what was in your contract take that shit up to jag and have them review it. if you push hard enough you can get the contract revoked or they can help make the MOS change happen.

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
i had the same mindset almost 2 years ago, just bored w/ my job and life in general then i started taking night classes and making some life goals..AA this summer, 2 years til i submit a WO package and 14 years to retirement and my Master's.

stay motivated and focused on the light at the end of the tunnel.

oh im motivated now and with only about 2 months till i go to school its driving me nuts. im ready to see some changes happen in my life. I have a POS E7 that seriously asks questions like "how do you spell LAX?" so between that, lack of NCOs and having to boot a E5 off night shift iv stayed on nights for 8 months. So i work 1830-when work is done and i spend all day bored as hell surfing svtp and washing my car. just ready to have that feeling of having a real purpose again. hell i miss screwing up and getting my ass handed to me. here i could not show up to work and they wouldnt do shit to me. the only reason i want to go to work is to take care of my team i have on nights.

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
Man I'm at that point too, been doing the same job for the past 6 years and getting tired of it. My previous AFSC (2A651 Jet Engine Mechanic) was awesome, did it for 5 years and never got bored. My current AFSC is 99% monotony and 1% excitement, anyone involved in the ops side of Predators knows what I'm talking about. I have been thinking lately of changing my Bachelors program to Technical Management (currently Aeronautics) and going into the oil & gas field, have lots of friends doing that and making good money with awesome schedules.

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
Man I'm at that point too, been doing the same job for the past 6 years and getting tired of it. My previous AFSC (2A651 Jet Engine Mechanic) was awesome, did it for 5 years and never got bored. My current AFSC is 99% monotony and 1% excitement, anyone involved in the ops side of Predators knows what I'm talking about. I have been thinking lately of changing my Bachelors program to Technical Management (currently Aeronautics) and going into the oil & gas field, have lots of friends doing that and making good money with awesome schedules.

3 guys my ole man builds cars for got into the oil field stuff and are all multi-millionairs.

Ops anything sucks unless its special Ops and im sure they dont get too bored lol. Try just doing services over and over and over and over... 8 months of this and now my guys and myself can get a service that normally takes 9-12hrs to comples and have it done in about 3-4hrs. but its boring as hell. if i was still doing vehicle recovery stuff i might have more excitment in my life.

keep em coming guys for some of us its nice to know its just not us who get in a bad rut. all it took for me to get back on my feet was a MSG at the recruiting command having a down to earth conversation about life and the army. after that i got my head back on strait and reenlisted then submitted my recruiter packet. for the rest it might be just seeing a post like this that might show them there is hope still.

Last edited:

saleensc281

Established Member
The Army is taking a turn for the worse, and will only continue that way. I would think very carefully before committing to a indef reenlistment. I have 3 years before retirement and I got bored with the Army in 2005. I do like however like my current job, and hope to pursue it as a DA Civilian when I retire.

I thought I missed being deployed, but after finishing this current one (5th)....yeah it didn't take long to figure out why I hate it. This will be my last one.

Good luck being a recruiter, while I hear the hours have gotten better, it can be a very rough gig. It all depends on your station....a lot of back stabbing can take place, with the potential to ruin your career.

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
The Army is taking a turn for the worse, and will only continue that way. I would think very carefully before committing to a indef reenlistment. I have 3 years before retirement and I got bored with the Army in 2005. I do like however like my current job, and hope to pursue it as a DA Civilian when I retire.

I thought I missed being deployed, but after finishing this current one (5th)....yeah it didn't take long to figure out why I hate it. This will be my last one.

Good luck being a recruiter, while I hear the hours have gotten better, it can be a very rough gig. It all depends on your station....a lot of back stabbing can take place, with the potential to ruin your career.

yea so iv heard but im gonna go into it like i always do with a positive mindset and do my best to take over what ever positions i can by being the best i can.

i dont think the army is taking a turn for the worse i just think its still in that weird time after a big war when a lot of higher ups dont have much to do anymore so they go back to what should have been done the whole time which is to keep the army inline with regs and what not. however when you get all these dudes together they all think their way is the correct way so you start getting some weird rules. my cousin was in during the whole Bosnia thing and after that was over she said things were weird for a while. look at the time period before the 1st gulf war... yikes. my buddy said he remembers driving a hmmwv for the 1st time and he was high on LSD. shits gonna buff out just gonna take some time or a new war.

wormriddle

Established Member
Well, I'm not Army, I'm Navy but I can tell you what hit me. I started getting tired of things around my 8 year mark. Began thinking I'd get out at the end of my enlistment a year later and couldn't stand how the next two ranks above me operated. I saw how it affected my guys and they were constantly confiding in me. THAT is what changed things, I tried harder, performed better and studied like a mad man for my next promotion test and promoted twice within a few years. I made Chief in under 14 which is quick for my rate (MOS) and my job now is a whole different ballgame. When you don't like how things are done from the higher ups, take their job, new job equals a different challenge. Keep your head up, you got junior troops counting on you.

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
I would be interested to see if you have the same opinion here in the next ten years.

I have seen the change over the past 17 years. Overall it was not for the better.

I'm basing it off my past 11yrs and seeing things go up and down. Never know in a year I might think the same as you. Maybe it will turn into the Boy Scouts we will never know until the future turns to present.

I know Iv done everything in my power to make things better and I have with in my section (at each unit Iv been). Took the section I'm in now from being little shit heads that couldn't check a battery for power and turned them into real mechanics. That part is fun for me and I love teaching these dude to be mechanics and to also be real soldiers. It's the ole "change what you can" thing.

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
Well, I'm not Army, I'm Navy but I can tell you what hit me. I started getting tired of things around my 8 year mark. Began thinking I'd get out at the end of my enlistment a year later and couldn't stand how the next two ranks above me operated. I saw how it affected my guys and they were constantly confiding in me. THAT is what changed things, I tried harder, performed better and studied like a mad man for my next promotion test and promoted twice within a few years. I made Chief in under 14 which is quick for my rate (MOS) and my job now is a whole different ballgame. When you don't like how things are done from the higher ups, take their job, new job equals a different challenge. Keep your head up, you got junior troops counting on you.

Oh yea Iv taken quite a few jobs from people. Was a motor sergeant for a lil over a year as a e5. Pushed out a e6 the next year later. Both because the guys couldn't handle the job either because they didn't know how to run a maintenance section or simply couldn't take charge. Well the e6 didn't know anything and thought yelling and fear was a good way to make us work better. I now out rank that guy who us now a e5...

I agree 100% that if you don't like the higher ups then work hard to get promoted and take their job.

MWR

YWSOTD
Established Member
yea so iv heard but im gonna go into it like i always do with a positive mindset and do my best to take over what ever positions i can by being the best i can.

i dont think the army is taking a turn for the worse i just think its still in that weird time after a big war when a lot of higher ups dont have much to do anymore so they go back to what should have been done the whole time which is to keep the army inline with regs and what not. however when you get all these dudes together they all think their way is the correct way so you start getting some weird rules. my cousin was in during the whole Bosnia thing and after that was over she said things were weird for a while. look at the time period before the 1st gulf war... yikes. my buddy said he remembers driving a hmmwv for the 1st time and he was high on LSD. shits gonna buff out just gonna take some time or a new war.

enhanced-buzz-14495-1390433376-13.jpg

092-e1356831237362.jpg

Sh*t like this will never buff out! I would be very cautious of further commitments to the military.

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
Wtf. Gays don't bother me I could care less as long as I do t get hit on. With the religion thing it's a fine line. I don't believe we should bend the rules in 670-1 and allow someone to grow a big ass beard because it's part if their religion. The only reason being is there will be all kinds of idiot privates who will get Muslim put on their dog tags just so they can grow a beard. We have regulations on uniforms for a reason not just to be dicks.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
Over my last two PCSs I've learned the grass is not always greener. Hell, there isn't even grass in most cases...

Users who are viewing this thread