Point where you started to get bored.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
I was only happy interested when I was doing skilled training that pushed my limits. I barely missed my chance to go to country so I got bored as soon as I hit the fleet and found out my deployment would be a UDP. From that point on I was a squad leader in an infantry unit and basically babysat other Marines. The fleet completely killed my motivation so I should have went out for something greater in special operations when I had the chance.

The thing that pisses me off the most is people saying combat arms have no value. "L-O-****ING-L!" Had a job I contemplated applying for in San Fran looking for grunts to test equipment. Long hours but it paid $75k/yr. Called some places back home that was looking for our skill set and I got a few calls back from companies that were interested in what I had to offer, and they all paid MUCH better than the (armed) security guard jobs all the military job websites say your skills transfer to. You can't listen to those sites because they are just lazy when it comes to combat arms, they just say security guard cause they think you're only goof for that or LE. Ultimately I'm taking an $85k/yr job with full benefits from my best friend at his new business. On top of that he's being flexible and letting me finish school so I can collect BAH which is $1800/mo for my school.

You just have to be smart about what you do and not settle for shit jobs. Don't be afraid to look around and talk to people. People like veterans and especially grunts, so network a little and show them you are as responsible as your job required you to be, and they'll see you're extremely capable and versatile and not crazy and they'll either offer you work or put in a good word for you to someone they know who can.

Kornilov

Established Member
I was only happy interested when I was doing skilled training that pushed my limits. I barely missed my chance to go to country so I got bored as soon as I hit the fleet and found out my deployment would be a UDP. From that point on I was a squad leader in an infantry unit and basically babysat other Marines. The fleet completely killed my motivation so I should have went out for something greater in special operations when I had the chance.

The thing that pisses me off the most is people saying combat arms have no value. "L-O-****ING-L!" Had a job I contemplated applying for in San Fran looking for grunts to test equipment. Long hours but it paid $75k/yr. Called some places back home that was looking for our skill set and I got a few calls back from companies that were interested in what I had to offer, and they all paid MUCH better than the (armed) security guard jobs all the military job websites say your skills transfer to. You can't listen to those sites because they are just lazy when it comes to combat arms, they just say security guard cause they think you're only goof for that or LE. Ultimately I'm taking an $85k/yr job with full benefits from my best friend at his new business. On top of that he's being flexible and letting me finish school so I can collect BAH which is $1800/mo for my school.

You just have to be smart about what you do and not settle for shit jobs. Don't be afraid to look around and talk to people. People like veterans and especially grunts, so network a little and show them you are as responsible as your job required you to be, and they'll see you're extremely capable and versatile and not crazy and they'll either offer you work or put in a good word for you to someone they know who can.

Absolutely, I'm an 0311, I got out in 2006 as a Sgt and now have a masters and a CPP certification. I make pretty decent money (more than what alot of these 'tech' MOS make) but I do live in a high cost of living area. 03's with college degrees are prized and can write their own tickets out here, provided they aren't dickbags.

Users who are viewing this thread