Plumbing an Intercooler?

fa110ut

Established Member
Another minor update w/o pictures:

SCT2400 Installed and bumper is cut.

Then the weather turned to shit.

You guys can probably tell that I don't like to work in nasty weather :)

LS1PUSSOUT

Banned
fa110ut said:
Another minor update w/o pictures:

SCT2400 Installed and bumper is cut.

Then the weather turned to shit.

You guys can probably tell that I don't like to work in nasty weather :)

I wouldnt be able to take it. Im not that patient. As soon as I get the I/C in my hands it will be on the car quickly!:burnout:

fa110ut

Established Member
LS1Killer said:
I wouldnt be able to take it. Im not that patient. As soon as I get the I/C in my hands it will be on the car quickly!:burnout:

Hah. Yeah, I wish I enough time to just throw the intercooler on in one go AND be able to take my time (I like to take things slow the first time around). However, since I'll be nearly doubling the boost AND I put a new MAF on, I have to get a new tune for the car.

So I'm also looking at it like this -- when it's finished, I get to spend another $300-$400.

But the project is coming along nicely. I'm waiting for the new pulley to get here from Vortech before I play with the supercharger. Last I checked it'd "arrived" in town so it's only a matter of time.

fa110ut

Established Member
Alrighty, nice little update.

Bolted on the intercooler to the bumper and mounted the bumper to see what it'd look like.

Looks crooked, but it's just the car leaning to one side. One of my jacks is starting to crap out.

These are the bolts that are currently holding the intercooler to the bumper. I still have two more mount points to use. One will go to the top of the bumper, and the other...

...I'm planning to mount along the bottom of the radiator, pretty much where those holes are (granted I can get to them from the back side).

But yep. That's it for now.

LS1PUSSOUT

Banned
Looks great! What did you use to cut the bumper support with? Im still waiting to order the intercooler.:( i have the piping,couplers, and clamps. But, I still need to buy a pulley, BPV, and get it tuned also.

fa110ut

Established Member
LS1Killer said:
Looks great! What did you use to cut the bumper support with? Im still waiting to order the intercooler.:( i have the piping,couplers, and clamps. But, I still need to buy a pulley, BPV, and get it tuned also.

I used an angle grinder. Also, the bolts/washer/nut combo I'm using is 1/4 bolt, washer, intercooler/bumper, washer, lock washer, and 1/4 nut.

fa110ut

Established Member
Quick update before work.

I'm almost done with this install. I have almost no time to work on it cause I'm always being called away to work or go somewhere (damn social life).

Need to make a few more brackets (one for the intercooler, and some to stiffen the pipes), re-clock the head unit again (because the way I wanted to do it didn't quite work), and that's it.

I definitely need to get some reinforced connectors because the stuff that came with my piping seriously blows. It feels like the pipes are just kind of "floating" inside them.

So once I get that stuff ordered (or find some), I'll get the rest done, bumper thrown back on, tuned, and new #'s and pics will be on their way.

fa110ut

Established Member
Another update.

Plumbing is complete. Started the car without problem, but as soon as I brought the system under boost I realized that the cheap silicone couplings I have aren't worth a damn.

In other words, boost leaks are all over the place. Need to get reinforced couplings. Hopefully that'll be in the next few days.

fa110ut

Established Member
Pretty much done with the install. Bolted on the bumper so that it stays up and took some pictures.

I'm thinking about making some brackets to help support the pipe (which,yeah, I know, hangs really low), but it's gotten a lot more stable now that I'm using the reinforced couplings, so I'm in no big hurry. Also need to decide whether I'm going to trim the bumper or shorten the cold side pipe down a little so that the bumper isn't pushed down quite as much.

fa110ut

Established Member
LowNSlowNeon said:
whered you buy your couplings at?

damn that hangs down low.. lol

Actually my dad found it at work, or through somebody that he sent to find rubber couplings. He said it came from some truck repair shop that deals primarily with school buses, but whatever. The hose says NAPA on it. It comes in one foot segments. I cut each down to 4" segments.

Also, those t-bolt clamps were nothing but trouble for me. I wound up using those crappy fasteners that came with the piping around the edges on some couplings to supplement the t-bolt clamps.

LowNSlowNeon

Established Member
The T-Bolt clamps work great for me... they are a pita if you dont have a ratcheting wrench.

How much did it cost you for the couplings?...

fa110ut

Established Member
LowNSlowNeon said:
The T-Bolt clamps work great for me... they are a pita if you dont have a ratcheting wrench.

How much did it cost you for the couplings?...

Couplings were 1' @ $10. Needed two feet, so a total of $20.

The problem with the t-bolt clamps for me was that the pressure wasn't even. There were almost always cracks in the seals. Maybe I just got shitty clamps :shrug:

Are you still having the problems you mentioned in your thread?

LowNSlowNeon

Established Member
Idle yes... but it was that way before the FMIC too... its not a big deal... when coming to a stop itll idle at like 1800 then drop a few seconds later.....

Im boosting decent now I suppose... it hits 8 but towards the end of my power band.

The couplings you bought were better than the ones in the kit?

I doubt i can get those local.. if I paid you would you pick me up some?

fa110ut

Established Member
LowNSlowNeon said:
Idle yes... but it was that way before the FMIC too... its not a big deal... when coming to a stop itll idle at like 1800 then drop a few seconds later.....

Im boosting decent now I suppose... it hits 8 but towards the end of my power band.

The couplings you bought were better than the ones in the kit?

I doubt i can get those local.. if I paid you would you pick me up some?

I had the same problem w/ my idle sticking, but yeah -- not too big of a deal. When I read your thread I was under the assumption that your RPMs were all over the place.

The couplings I got are A LOT more stiff than those flimsy POS's that came with the kit. So much more, in fact, that I almost feel safe enough to drive around w/o any sort of brackets or ties to add support to the pipes.

I had the pipes routed with the stuff that comes with the kit and now with this new stuff. Huge difference. Checking for boost leaks is still essential though, and I did have some problems in certain areas. Really it's just a matter of adjusting the pipes and sliding them in as far as you can w/o screwing up the overall straight line.

My dad actually found that stuff. I can ask him to get more. It's $10 for a one foot segment. I couldn't find bends, but I only wound up using two bends (one of which is from the kit -- one came w/ the intercooler off the Mach 1).

Shoot me a PM if you're interested in the couplings.

I'll be at work from... now until 11pm, so I'll reply ASAP.

fa110ut

Established Member
LS1Killer said:
nice work! I like how it sits down low so everyone can see your intercooled:coolman: but if you hit a speedbump with it your toast

Yeah. Or a pothole :rolling:

Users who are viewing this thread