Plumbing an Intercooler?

fa110ut

Established Member
Alright, I'm a little lazy and quite frankly I don't know where to begin searching for this topic, so here I go.

I picked up a used Procharger air-to-air intercooler for really cheap. I don't have any plumbing for it. The question is this: where do I begin looking for parts to tube this thing up? I know I can't just call Procharger and ask them for the plumbing because I doubt they'll sell it to me unless I buy a kit from them (or will they?).

I've never had to do any "custom" plumbing on anything before, so this is a totally grey area for me. Any guidance would be much appreciated!

JAILBAIT

Currently under pressure
Established Member
It would be about $400 for the hard tubes and rubber and hardware bag. Because you are adapting this to a Vortech, the fitment from the blower to the intercooler may have to be customized.

fa110ut

Established Member
Thanks guys.

AirForce -- I'll shoot LownSlow a PM later tonight or tomorrow. Those pictures actually answered a lot of other questions that I had. He mentions universal piping. Do you know where he get this piping from?

Jailbait -- I'm willing to drop that amount, but I don't know where to begin looking for all that stuff. Are you referring to it costing $400 if I were to call up Procharger and buy the stuff from them? Would they even bother selling me the piping if I didn't originally buy the intercooler from them and have a Vortech instead of a Procharger? I remember looking at their little "e-mail us" thing on their site and they won't even let you send something unless you provide them with your supercharger's serial number. If they won't even answer questions without me owning their products, do you think they'd sell me the piping?

AirForce Hemi

Kenne Bell FTW
Established Member
fa110ut said:
Thanks guys.

AirForce -- I'll shoot LownSlow a PM later tonight or tomorrow. Those pictures actually answered a lot of other questions that I had. He mentions universal piping. Do you know where he get this piping from?

Jailbait -- I'm willing to drop that amount, but I don't know where to begin looking for all that stuff. Are you referring to it costing $400 if I were to call up Procharger and buy the stuff from them? Would they even bother selling me the piping if I didn't originally buy the intercooler from them and have a Vortech instead of a Procharger? I remember looking at their little "e-mail us" thing on their site and they won't even let you send something unless you provide them with your supercharger's serial number. If they won't even answer questions without me owning their products, do you think they'd sell me the piping?

He bought the FMIC and Hard pipes off Ebay. I think for everything $400 shipped. The pipes are 3inch. The hard pipeing kit came with 90s 45s and a couple straights. It was pretty striaght forward install. Was a lot of fun too. LowNSlow will be more then willing to help you out.

JAILBAIT

Currently under pressure
Established Member
Yes you can call up Procharger and tell them that you need parts for your Cobra. Tech will be glad to help you I'm sure.

LowNSlowNeon

Established Member

fa110ut

Established Member
LowNSlowNeon said:
I ordered my piping kit seperate from the intercooler, yes...

I'd take pictures of my routing.. but I am pretty positive the fmic you have has different outlets for your piping..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/3-Tu...QQcategoryZ33742QQitemZ200093575863QQtcZphoto

I'd check that out... I used that... then ordered T-Bolt clamps to replace the shitty worm clamps that came with the kit.

Awesome, that link helps a ton.

The Procharger has an inlet on the top right and and outlet on the bottom left. I'm guessing this kit just comes with "enough" piping to get the job done?

LowNSlowNeon

Established Member
The kit came with just enough piping to get mine done... but I was going from one side of the car to the other... both your outlets are on one side. You should have plenty piping I would think.

babfmicinstall17.jpg

fa110ut

Established Member
LowNSlowNeon said:
The kit came with just enough piping to get mine done... but I was going from one side of the car to the other... both your outlets are on one side. You should have plenty piping I would think.

babfmicinstall17.jpg

They're on different sides. Here's a pic.

NA97GT

Established Member
fa110ut whats the dimensions of your ati intercooler, its not the sheetmetal race one right?

fa110ut

Established Member
NA97GT -- It's 30 inches long (that'd be from outlet to outlet), 12 inches tall, and 3 inches wide.

As far as I know, it's just an intercooler that would come with a normal P-1SC. It has "Procharger" stamped in two places on the top, and two places on the bottom.

JAILBAIT

Currently under pressure
Established Member
That is an older intercooler sold by Procharger about 3 years ago. It is still an adequate intercooler though.

fa110ut

Established Member
LS1Killer said:
man i just found some mandrel bent BTI intercooler pipes custom for a vortech. Agreed to pay $150 shipped......:pepper:

Damn you :D

Gratz :rockon:

I'm probably gonna give that Ebay kit a try and see how it turns out with that. If that doesn't work, I'll give Procharger a call and lay down some serious cash.

LowNSlowNeon

Established Member
It'll work.. just take your time.. measure twice.. cut once.

Make sure you order the t-bolt clamps to replace the shitty clamps and you'll be good.

Let us know how it goes.. and be sure to take pics :)

Vinyl

Your HIDs blind others
Established Member
I'm idling over this thread for info. Going to do an FMIC on my S-Trimmed GT.

fa110ut

Established Member
LowNSlowNeon said:
It'll work.. just take your time.. measure twice.. cut once.

Make sure you order the t-bolt clamps to replace the shitty clamps and you'll be good.

Let us know how it goes.. and be sure to take pics :)

I'll do that.

Thanks for all the info, LownSlow & AirForce.

I'll keep you guys updated.

fa110ut

Established Member

Users who are viewing this thread