Plumbing an Intercooler?

SVTStrikesBack

Last One Standing
Established Member
LS1Killer said:
man i just found some mandrel bent BTI intercooler pipes custom for a vortech. Agreed to pay $150 shipped......:pepper:

That's a pretty good deal, but honestly, I think that's what it's worth. There was a guy I was talking to on the COrral that wanted $300 for some BTI piping. His IC wasn't the same as mine and I would have to mod it anyway, but I think anything over $200 for a bunch of cheap metal pipes is rediculous. (I'm not referring to the quality of ANY pipes per se, just the fact pipe is very cheap)

I called Procharger not too long ago and specificaly told them my app and that I had a Vortech I was using with their IC. They were very helpful and friendly. The total with shipping was $355, and that was everything I needed, and already cut for my deminsions. I still haven't decided which way to go.

What are you guys cutting your piping with?

Vinyl

Your HIDs blind others
Established Member
SVTStrikesBack said:
That's a pretty good deal, but honestly, I think that's what it's worth. There was a guy I was talking to on the COrral that wanted $300 for some BTI piping. His IC wasn't the same as mine and I would have to mod it anyway, but I think anything over $200 for a bunch of cheap metal pipes is rediculous. (I'm not referring to the quality of ANY pipes per se, just the fact pipe is very cheap)

I called Procharger not too long ago and specificaly told them my app and that I had a Vortech I was using with their IC. They were very helpful and friendly. The total with shipping was $355, and that was everything I needed, and already cut for my deminsions. I still haven't decided which way to go.

What are you guys cutting your piping with?

I'll be using a chop saw.

fa110ut

Established Member
Went ahead and ordered that stuff that I linked.

I wanna get this project on the road ASAP.

Vinyl

Your HIDs blind others
Established Member
fa110ut said:
Went ahead and ordered that stuff that I linked.

I wanna get this project on the road ASAP.

Same here. :rolling:

fa110ut

Established Member
Piping came in this morning but the weather was complete shit and I volunteered to unload Shadows Fall and Lacuna Coil's equipment for a show so no work got done today.

Going to the drag strip tomorrow, so nothing will get done then, either.

Hopefully next week I'll have a lot of free time and I'll get started on it (unless I need to order new clamps -- I haven't looked at them yet).

fa110ut

Established Member
LowNSlowNeon said:
I would go ahead and order clamps.

T-Bolt clamps will save you a lot of head aches.

Point taken.

I got to work on the car a little bit today. Got the bumper off and then had to go to work. I tried posting pictures before I left but the forum was down, so here they are:

Cobra still dressed:

Shit that fell out when I removed the splash guard thing (you know what I'm talking about):

Naked Cobra:

Completely messed up headlights:

LownSlow: I'm just curious where you sent the piping to the intake. The only way I'll have room is if I drill a hole for the piping to fit through. I took a look at the pictures of your setup but couldn't make out where you sent the piping. Really, at this point, the only thing holding me back is trying to figure out exactly where to send the piping... and for me to stop being lazy and order new stuff (new clamps, SCT MAF, new boost pulley, and a AFM Powerpipe) and pray I don't max-out my credit card.

LS1PUSSOUT

Banned
Yes you need to drill about a 3.5 inch hole right there. Heres a pic
This guys work is sloppy, but you can see where the piping goes through. Make sure you cut some rubber hose to surround the cut so you dont scratch your pipes.

This is how it should look like from underneath that hole....

And from top, but yours will be different cause its a cobra

Man I want this!---->http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Paxton-Intercooler-1999-2003-Ford-Mustang-GT-4-6-NEW_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33742QQihZ012QQitemZ220101416538QQrdZ1

Last edited:

fa110ut

Established Member
LS1Killer said:
Yes you need to drill about a 3.5 inch hole right there.

Alright, that helps. That's exactly where I figured I'd have to drill a hole. Thanks!

fa110ut

Established Member
Got some more work done. Now I have more questions.

Took off the bumper:

Here's my first question -- how should I mount this? I know I'll have to trim down those flanges, but other than that I'm not really sure. There's no way to mount the intercooler with just the mount points that are already on it. I'd have to get some sort of bracketry, or carve the bumper down something mean:

And finally, in regards to where the piping should go to the intake -- this is the engine bay (obviously). Definitely not much room there. The pic below this next one is where the filter/MAF are, and again, goes to show how there isn't much room:

I'm about to head to Northern Tools to get a Dremel tool so I can tear those flanges off the bumper.

LS1PUSSOUT

Banned
yes it looks like you still have a bit of cutting to do on that bumper and intake hole. You may to move some of that factory stuff out of the way to route the pipes.

fa110ut

Established Member
LS1Killer said:
yes it looks like you still have a bit of cutting to do on that bumper and intake hole. You may to move some of that factory stuff out of the way to route the pipes.

I found a spot that the piping MIGHT be able to fit through, but I have to make sure that nothing else will get in the way (like that inside cover of the fender, and maybe even the tire). I'll photoshop some pictures later so you guys can see exactly what I'm talking about.

Also, I've been thinking that it might be easier to just leave the bumper off? I can fabricate some sort of harness for it. but I'd also have to figure out a way to keep the fog lights.

I dunno. What this job needs is creativity, and I've been lacking such these past few days. The weather is complete shit outside today so no work is going to get done on it (not gonna hack the bumper w/o being able to make instant comparisons with the car) and I have off from work, so I'll be spending some quality time in front of the computer brainstorming ideas and [hopefully] get around to ordering the rest of the parts.

fa110ut

Established Member
LS1Killer said:
so is that a 12psi pulley? Are you still on stock plastic bosch BPV? May need to upgrade. Sounds good though. I need a 10#.

Not quite sure how much boost it'll make with the intercooler, but according to Vortech, every size down will make between one and two extra pounds of boost. The stock pulley is the 3.60, which should produce 6#'s. So, theoretically, it should make anywhere between 10 and 14#'s of boost.

And yes, I'm stil using the stock BPV. I'll give my tuner a call sometime soon and see what he thinks.

Also -- In regards to mounting the intercooler... I've pretty much boiled it down to having to fabricate some means of bolting the intercooler to the bumper or leave the bumper off and bolting it on directly, again with some sort of fabricated harness.

Any input as to how to mount this?

fa110ut

Established Member
Minor update w/o any new pictures:

New MAF came in, so that'll go on tomorrow (which is actually today) if weather permits.

I figured out a way to mount the intercooler. I marked the bumper and I'll get to cutting it tomorrow. Maybe I'll be able to mount it, but that'll probably be for another day.

I'll have a nice little question for you guys tomorrow. I don't really know how to explain it, so I have to take a picture. It deals with relocating something that's in the way.

Users who are viewing this thread