please input on my manual brake conversion!!!

20-COBRA-03

Banned
I just ordered the Aerospace components manual brake conversion for my termy... i'm in the process of re-running all of the factory brake lines. i had a couple questions, ad any input would be greatly appreciated! who makes a good proportioning valve? is it a neccessity to even have the proportioning valve? (may seem like a stupid question, but i've found that people have deleted them.) Also, what exactly do i have to do get my brake lights to work again? what kind of switch do i need, and how do i make it work? thanks so much

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I just ordered the Aerospace components manual brake conversion for my termy... i'm in the process of re-running all of the factory brake lines. i had a couple questions, ad any input would be greatly appreciated! who makes a good proportioning valve? is it a neccessity to even have the proportioning valve? (may seem like a stupid question, but i've found that people have deleted them.) Also, what exactly do i have to do get my brake lights to work again? what kind of switch do i need, and how do i make it work? thanks so much

Just found this post.

Is this car being converted drag strip only duty?

If not you are out of your freaking mind?

WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS?:dw::nonono::shrug:

This car will be very close to completely un drivable after this and for what purpose???

Brakes kind of matter on cars like these.:shrug::poke:

Perhaps you have heard the phrase "brakes are over rated, they just slow you down""....... And failed to see the sarcasm there??

gt347mustang

Established Member
Just found this post.

This car will be very close to completely un drivable after this and for what purpose???

Perhaps you have heard the phrase "brakes are over rated, they just slow you down""....... And failed to see the sarcasm there??

Have you seen this guys seen other posts? Maybe it will make sense after you read some of his other threads.

raresvt1

Established Member
But reading his post again, if you can't figure out how to make it work I would have a shop do it for you. Brakes are no joke to be guessing at.

20-COBRA-03

Banned
But reading his post again, if you can't figure out how to make it work I would have a shop do it for you. Brakes are no joke to be guessing at.

yea definately. i'm much more confident in my work than any shops labor. believe me, i didn't say that i didn't know how to get 'it' to work... i asked if anybody knew how to get the brake lights to work, if i had needed a pressure switch or something, you know? as seeing as i had to relocate the arm off of the master on my pedal, and the factory micro-switch is no longer functional.

20-COBRA-03

Banned
Go drive an old car no power boster or disc brakes

I've driven vehicles with no power brakes in the past, as many others have. why are you talking about driving something without disc brakes? did i say i was converting to drums?

Have you seen this guys seen other posts? Maybe it will make sense after you read some of his other threads.

yea, ok pal. jump on the band wagon with the rest of the haters. I'm going to have one of the baddest street driven terminators on the road. I think i know what i'm doing.

Just found this post.

Why am i doing this? i'm converting because i'm not a pansy that needs all of these extra amenities. I don't have air bags in my car, i don't have ABS, i don't have traction control, i don't have front or rear sway bars... i had a problem with this hydroboost junk last year, and had no brakes or power steering, so seeing as the car ripped and i had been able to stop from 145mph every night, it isn't going to be any worse than that. next year i will have power steering and semi-decent brakes.

kxt

atomic number 30
Established Member
So many people think that power assist equals superior braking.... I guess they don't understand how braking systems work.

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
So many people think that power assist equals superior braking.... I guess they don't understand how braking systems work.

no.. all that power brakes do is assist your mechanical efforts (leg muscles) to move the piston in the master cylinder (be it either hydraulic or vacuum, or other methods)

of course there are reasons why manufacturers went to power assisted setups, generally to make a vehicle easier to drive.. (be it steering or brakes)

Jroc

Established Member
Manual brakes FTL. Hydro-Boost FTW!!!

The Hydro-Boost is one of the things I miss most about my Cobra that my L doesn't have.

SLPRCTM

Established Member
Yes, you will need a pressure switch to operate your brake lights. Now that you are removing all factory components, there will be no other way for the vehicle to know you are applying the brakes and to power the brake lights.

SlowSVT

Established Member
Losing the “power assist” brake booster is exactly what the name implies which equates to higher pedal effort and nothing more. I would not advocate just swapping out the MC and calling it a day without upgrades elsewhere, a high leverage pedal, get some of the flex out of the firewall around the MC (this in a manual brake conversion matters), weld-up your pedal box and get good tires. Do all that and you won’t be missing that 10 lb cast iron “workaround” Ford’s Motor Company has adorned our cars with and now you will have more progressive braking input that will have no problem putting you thru the windshield. The brake light switch is the easy part. Better to make a small bracket for a thread spring loaded plunger switch http://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/image_uploads/081408_large.jpg actuated off the brake pedal.

Users who are viewing this thread