Please help me identify the cause of this noise. (Sound clip included)

BLUEPSTU

Veni Vidi Vici
Established Member
Been having the dreaded squeak for a while now. Let me expalin what has happened... Usually the squeak starts off sporadically then it gets worse. Most of the time when it first starts out, the noise goes away after 15 minutes or so. A few months ago it would not go away, so I got a new super charger belt and thought it was cured. After I think I have cured the problem, it comes back after a few months. A few months is not a lot of miles as I only drive the car about 500 miles a year. Here is what I have done in the past that I thought cured the problem, only to have it return. (All belts on the car have been changed) within the last year. I have changed the supercharger belt on a couple of occasions and it seems to go away for awhile. I started to wonder if it was a pulley. Last time the squeak started I switched the top 100 mm pulleys with the one below it and the squeak was gone. Recently the squeak returned after a few months. If the belt were bad would switching the pulleys mask the problem a while? I moved all the pulleys around today and it did not stop the squeaking. I am running a Gates Micro v green stripe belt. It honestly bothers me bad enought that I don't want to drive the car around.Thanks for any help with this annoying problem. (The video is blurry but I just wanted people to hear the noise)
th_20140925_171916_zps8f81a663.jpg

THEAK47

Got Meth?
Established Member
It sucks, I have the same issue! Unfortunately using the old soap bar on the belt trick til I can figure out a permanent solution!

Quick Strike

Established Member
It sounds like a cracked pulley or a pulley bearing on the way out. I have had both. The pulley that spins without some resistance has a spent bearing. Cracks are self evident.

BLUEPSTU

Veni Vidi Vici
Established Member
Thanks for the info. I'll give it a look and try it out. Just don't know why the squeak stops for a while when I get a new belt, unless a new belt causes a different stress level for the pulley, that masks the squeak somehow. I also don't know why the squeak stops after 15 minutes or so.

It sounds like a cracked pulley or a pulley bearing on the way out. I have had both. The pulley that spins without some resistance has a spent bearing. Cracks are self evident.

BLUEPSTU

Veni Vidi Vici
Established Member
Update: Changed the belt today and no squeak. From what I have been reading, it seems these Gates belt do squeak for a lot of people after a couple hundred miles.
:mj:

BLUEPSTU

Veni Vidi Vici
Established Member
Yes. Because I wanted to make sure it was that belt. I have done this before and stuck with the Gates belt. It hasn't bothered me that much in the past as it lasts a few hundred miles. (Which is 5-6 months for me.) I may try another brand next time because I'm sure there probably will be a next time.
So you just went with a new gates, and no more chirp!?

03' White Snake

Established Member
1 question, is it a Gates belt?

If answer is yes, throw it in the trash or keep it in the trunk for a spare.

Go to this chart..... http://www.goodyearep.com/productsdetail.aspx?id=3128 and find your belt length and number of ribs. Take the p/n from the left column, go to www.rockauto.com and insert that number. Then buy the belt. RA is the cheapest I've found for gatorback belts.

This will fix your chirp. Gates belts are junk.

Your welcome.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
This is funny, some have issues with all different belt brands. I think it might be dependent on the pulley. My Gates has been on my car for 6 years w/o a peep.

BLUEPSTU

Veni Vidi Vici
Established Member
I'll check it out. Thanks.
1 question, is it a Gates belt?

If answer is yes, throw it in the trash or keep it in the trunk for a spare.

Go to this chart..... http://www.goodyearep.com/productsdetail.aspx?id=3128 and find your belt length and number of ribs. Take the p/n from the left column, go to www.rockauto.com and insert that number. Then buy the belt. RA is the cheapest I've found for gatorback belts.

This will fix your chirp. Gates belts are junk.

Your welcome.

THEAK47

Got Meth?
Established Member
This is funny, some have issues with all different belt brands. I think it might be dependent on the pulley. My Gates has been on my car for 6 years w/o a peep.

I agree, been searching forum after forum on this and and it goes both ways, and to make things worse Kenne bell says to use any belt but a gator belt! So I guess I'll just try another gates and hope for the best!

BLUEPSTU

Veni Vidi Vici
Established Member
Look at the thread right below this where the guy said he fixed his squeaky belt issue by sanding it. I think the title is "Fixed my squeaky belt". It might help your problems.
I agree, been searching forum after forum on this and and it goes both ways, and to make things worse Kenne bell says to use any belt but a gator belt! So I guess I'll just try another gates and hope for the best!

Dadarkside

Quicksilver
Established Member
Mine is making that noise now also mine was making a tapping sound. I had the belt removed and spun the pulleys and all was fine. Finally the belt tensioner was moved while the car was running and the noise stopped but when put back in place noise came back. So im looking to replace the belt tensioner.

Jefe

Established Member
Get that battery tested/replaced! Sounds very weak

speeddemon2000

Established Member
I tried a gatorback once and back to back it made less boost than the Gates belt. My advice.

1. Notch the tensioner for more adjustability.
2. Make sure you replace all the factory idlers. You can replace the one on the tensioner arm too.
3. If you have the aftermarket idlers already replace all the bearings in them. You can get the bearing from autozone or O'reilly's
4. Use the Gates HD green belt.

Users who are viewing this thread