Played with a 911 Turbo tonite!

JMD0346

Established Member
I saw one at the track last weekend at the SVT Cobra Club track rental. It was an auto. I talked to the guy. He said it had a chip and some exhaust. It went 11.9's all day. Over and over again. I think it was trapping around 119. Dont quote me on that though. Oh and he was leaving of idle.

Rated///M

Established Member
Haha this kid is funny, he says that he raced a 02-03 Turbo and his dad had a 01. The only difference is the 01 doesn't have a glovebox. The have 415hp 415 tq and they are under rated from the factory. ALL turbo's are AWD, it is not an option!!!!!! They all come with AWD. 0-60 in 3.9 with a good driver, 1/4 in low 12's. A Turbo X50 or Turbo S has more HP and Road Track ran a 11.7

Harry Schneider

Established Member
Guys, guys...Turbo Porsches are great cars, no question about it. They've always been a dream car to me, but when you can beat a dream car with what your driving now...why not smile? When I raced a Viper last summer on the hiway, before we shut down I was running 156mph in 5th at just over 5300rpm, uphill and still pulling hard for that speed. I'll take on anything to 160 mph and have a great chance of not being beat. I'm ONLY pushing 470rwhp 490rwtq. F--k I love Cobras!! KB or Whipple this year!! But...areodynamically the Porsche has the Cobra hands down, that's why they kept that shape for the last 50 years. RUF cars are wet dream cars!! But with a KB or Whipple he'd shit his pants when this Stang hangs with his 1/4 million dollar car!!

TacticalKaos

Established Member
moridin2004 said:
I wasn't saying the Cobra is capable of 220MPH, I'm just saying the gearing is. Everyone seems to assume 03/04 Cobras, because they are a Mustang, are only geared for 1/4 mile or 0-60 sprints.

Now, for the sustained 180MPH+ operation part. There was a team that ran a Cobra at the salt flats (don't have any Autobahn in the U.S.) in 2003 with intake, exhaust, tune, maybe a pulley, and was lowered a bit. They made a 178 MPH pass, but weren't allowed to go faster, because of the factory cast wheels. They went faster the next year (203 MPH), but that was with a new blower and fuel system upgrades. Again, I'm not saying its any better than modified TT Porsches, or even as good as, but I would venture to say it is impressive for is basically a street car.

The old guy I raced in a 996 TT launched on me at one point during our meeting. I'd be far more afraid of that thing from 0-60 than from 60-160. I couldn't see myself doing anything above 160 in my area. Not feasible.

I'm extremely impressed with Porsche engineering. I had the opportunity to work with their engineers and cars when had a job on an ALMS team for a summer. Porsche race cars are amazing, but if you've noticed, they've upped the power output across the whole 997 line to keep up with the likes of Ford, Chevy, and a few others. Even Ferrari had to inject a bunch more horsepower into the F430. Guys had stories on here of beating the 360's with little or no mods on their Cobras.

Anywho, lets just hope both companies keep making better cars, so stories like these can be told.

I agree, Cobras are beastly cars, no question. But it did talk salt flats under controlled conditions to reach those speeds. You can take a brand new turbo off the lot and be doing over 120 on the on-ramp to the highway that will take you home. And if you messing with an APR modded TT Porsche, forget it, you're playing with a 900+whp car in that case. I saw the APR GT2 at a gas station in South Carolina when I was passing through. All I can say is damn, it was amazing.

corpsedub

Mighty Trust Krusher
Established Member
Last edited:

corpsedub

Mighty Trust Krusher
Established Member
primetime said:
LOL! Do you know the difference between the two? Wait i think I already know the answer to that. later Ron

there's quite a differnce actually but the most prevelant being the variable vane turbocharger with overboost.

996TTx50

Established Member
TacticalKaos said:
And if you messing with an APR modded TT Porsche, forget it, you're playing with a 900+whp car in that case. I saw the APR GT2 at a gas station in South Carolina when I was passing through. All I can say is damn, it was amazing.

APR never had a 900+ whp 996TT. They did make a relatively high hp 996TT several years ago, but it was NOT 900+ whp. They were trying to sell the engine from that car for a LONG time . . . I dont know the current status of it. FWIW, APR is a third tier Porsche tuner.

996TTx50

996TTx50

Established Member
corpsedub said:
if that 996 has any gemballa products on it it's gonna be fast. those cobra dudes didnt even know what they where looking at. definatly not stock.

http://www.gemballausa.com/996turbo_power.asp

The video merely depicts a Gemballa top mount intercooler. I presume the car had other mods which are far more important power wise (no one installs a top mount intercooler, and nothing else).

996TTx50

996TTx50

Established Member
Stock v. stock, a 996TT will take a Cobra both from a dig and a roll. Once mods enter the picture, the equation changes and becomes far less predictable. As I undertand it, a bolt on Cobra can make well over 400 whp and drop into the 11s. That will beat a stock 996TT. However, if the 996TT is also modded, it can generate anywhere from 400 whp to over 900 whp depending on the mods. On the other hand, a heavily modded Cobra (e.g., 2.4 KB or turbo) can make even more power than that. Given the substantially larger displacement, a Cobra clearly has more power generating potential than a 996TT with a measily 3.6.

If the guy who started this thread many moons ago is generating north of 400 whp with his mods, it is certainly believable that he prevailed over a stock 996TT (particularly if he is a better driver).

BTW, contrary to popular belief, the 996TT is VERY difficult to launch fast (even with, and perhaps because of, the AWD). Conversely, the 996TT pulls VERY well on the highway.

If there are any modded Cobras in So Cal (preferably the SFV) who want to run a modded 996TT, let me know. I love racing modded Cobras. :beer:

996TTx50

Last edited:

6.0GTO

Established Member
Ummmmm. Your modifications takes up a whole page. :coolman:

Probably would be giving away too much info. but I'll give it a shot.
What's that thing trap at, 140+?

corpsedub

Mighty Trust Krusher
Established Member
996TTx50 said:
The video merely depicts a Gemballa top mount intercooler. I presume the car had other mods which are far more important power wise (no one installs a top mount intercooler, and nothing else).

996TTx50

yea..i thougth that was obvious?

Nick85

Banned
996TTx50 said:
:rolleyes: :rollseyes :rolleyes: :rollseyes

Here kitty kitty. :poke:

996TTx50

You have a really nice car but it is commonly known that the 996 line up are some of the most tamed, mass-produced, and 'softened' 911's ever to come from Porsche. The reason the enthusiasts are so pleased about the 997 is because it's just like the 993.

moridin2004

I took my own avatar pic
Established Member
Nick85 said:
You have a really nice car but it is commonly known that the 996 line up are some of the most tamed, mass-produced, and 'softened' 911's ever to come from Porsche. The reason the enthusiasts are so pleased about the 997 is because it's just like the 993.

Including the air cooled motor too?

:bash:

Users who are viewing this thread