Played with a 911 Turbo tonite!

04TRCobra

KING
Established Member
Coming home from a quick drive after leaving my girlfriends house, I noticed 2 bright blue xenons rolling up behind me at a traffic light....i was stopped at the line..no one in front.

I knew it was a Porsche 911 but couldnt tell until i let him come around me....a 2002-2003 911 Turbo in silver!!!! NICE! It was coupe FYI.

So i let him pass and im just cruising in 4th gear at around 45mph and start to pick it up a little into 5th around 60mph...I pass him slowly and he drops behind me because a car was approaching in front of him.

After the next light...he guns it around me as i take off modestly. He is now about 10 cars ahead of me and we are both speed matched at 70mph....I pick it up and start creeping on him at about 85mph...

As I am behind him, i hear him drop it down hard into maybe 3rd and i instantly hit 3rd at 80mph and pull into the other lane just as he nails it. So he is about a car ahead when he nails it but i hit it about .5 seconds before him...

I get next to him and walk past him about 2 cars and he lets off. Then as i slow...he comes wailing by and hits the brakes...we slow to about 45mph...and i let it rip in 2nd gear..full traction...he just stares over as i pass him HARD with the blower and exhaust wailing....that was it for him...i braked several times to get him to come close but he hung back until we turned off our separate ways.

04TRCobra

KING
Established Member
just steeda CAI and Magnaflow catback right now. car has ran very strong ever since i got it.

plus...lately the temps have been below 40 degrees at night on long island. dry and cold...PERFECT FOR THE S/C. the tires were plenty warmed up cause i was driving on them for about 20 minutes before the 911 turbo came into play.

i cant wait for my 2.8RR and tune and catless X-pipe to be installed!!!

04TRCobra

KING
Established Member
NO...it was a turbo...my father used to own a 2001...i know what they look like...and im in my 4th year of college...i can read "Turbo"

what im thinking actually was that this was an AWD model...therefore losing some punch from a roll.

even so...stock vs. stock...a 911 turbo comes with 415hp...so about 375-380 at the wheels...thats where a stock Cobra is.

im around 400 at the wheels with my intake and exhaust and the temps were really low so i picked up some hp there....if he had AWD which is likely since its an option on 911 turbos...he would be in the 340-345whp range. therefore..with the weight difference...a 2nd gear punch would be pretty close.

like i said..it wasnt a race...just toying....be he def. nailed it....he downshifted into 3rd at around 75-80...his revs were way up there...around 5-5500k i would assume before he nailed it....so he was ready to go.... but from 80-120 or so...i put on at least a car and a half...i thought 2. he might have let off a bit after i edged him out by 100.

Last edited:

SnakeSkinner

Established Member
Better take Physics 101 in your school because you're not going to pull a 996 turbo by 2 lengths through one gear with your mods. In fact you're not going to pull on him at all.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
im pretty sure porsches are also top end cars, specially the turbo, i think they top out at 180?
and arent they also lighter?

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
I don't think that was a turbo, if so not a newer one for sure. The 2002 turbo is around 3370lbs and 420hp. 0-60 about 4.3 with 0-100 in the high 9's.

Last edited:

04TRCobra

KING
Established Member
ONCE AGAIN....MY FATHER USED TO OWN A 2001 911 TURBO...I KNOW WHAT THEY LOOK LIKE. it had the 3 big air dams up front...splitters on the rear corners and said TURBO under the spoiler.

you guyz are so thick headed...never said it was a "race" just said i got to mess around with a newer 911 Turbo...and that i walked away from him between 80-120...maybe he wasnt on it all the way or he was a crappy shifter. whatever

and if you read my second post...if it was an AWD model...it loses much more power through the drivetrain.

regardless...the guy could have nailed it and saw i was keeping up and he backed off cause he got nervous....very possible.

just because someone has a 100k car doesnt mean they are car savy and know what their cars or others can do....my dad didnt when he bought his...i tought him more about his car in a day then he knew about it going into the purchase of one.

not to mention...he would never race anyone when he had it...so maybe this guy wasnt into racing but wanted to toy around..that was my post...."got to toy around"

after i do my 2.8, o/r xpipe, wider wheels and tune in january...ill look for him again.

sorry its not a true "kill" but i dont bother looking for cars with half as much hp to race just so i can say i won.....i only waste my gas and chance getting a ticket for vettes, porshes, and other cars that are somewhat worth it to race.

point was...it was fun to mess with one...father sold his almost a year before i got my Cobra.

**PLEASE DONT COME BACK AND SAY...wasnt a 911 turbo man!!... IT WAS ...unless i was oblivious to the 911 turbo in my garage for 2.5 years....i know what it looks like and how it sounds!

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
could have been a fake Turbo...
with full ducts, rear wing and all the exterior looks the turbo model has...
ahhaah jk

porsches are fast tho, 415hp vs 390hp and WHP would prolly be 380hp for porsche and the cobra would prolly be 360hp, yes you have a couple mods, BUT the porsche is lighter and since your going over 100mph he has better aerodynamics....

oh yea where is that porsche owner that kills heavily modded cobras?

not doubting the kill though, i want a cobra! :(

EvergreenSVT

Established Member
0-60 isn't the number you need to look at here guys. 911 Turbos have AWD andd a rear engine, with proper launch technique they go like hell from the line. That doesn't mean they are great from a roll.

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
I believe you because you were there :) . However, everyone else was not and they need to give you the benifit of the doubt.

There are to many hyper critical replies on posts of stories that happened in a couple of seconds time...lighten up :bored: .

I see no reason why your car could not pull on a turbo Porsche doing what you were doing. You never know who's behind the wheel of the other car, their driving skills and what their thinking.

04TRCobra

KING
Established Member
thank you...at least some people have some sense.

we were just toying....i didnt come on here saying i pulled him by 5 cars or something...

it was a quick jolt of speed from 80-120 (what does that take...less than 7 seconds) and i edged him out by a car and a half or so. he didnt want to play anymore after that.

VERY possible.

you gotta remember...a 911 turbo runs around a 11.8-12.0 in stock trim at the track. thats because they launch better than a stock cobra obviously also. so from a roll if he was not the best shifter and i shifted perfectly (like i always do...lol) it was more than possible for this outcome...i was there...it happened. would i line up with him expecting to win from a dig...NO....not at least until i get my 2.8 and tune installed, and the drags in the back.

i remember going for a ride in my fathers 01 turbo...def fast and extremely SMOOTH powerband. but i wasnt allowed to drive the 911 T... after 2.5 years of ownership and only 3k miles on it...he decided it wasnt worth keeping. we have plenty of other toys that we USE!! a 100k+ sports car on long island is a waste....gets beat up and you cant drive it to its potential more than 100 feet before traffic....and its not like my dad goes out after midnight to race around in it. so its extremely impratical...we kept it at our house upstate for the last year...logged 200 miles on it during that time...and got rid of it.

nsxmatt

Established Member
I don't doubt it was a Turbo or that you pulled on him. In this case it was the better driver who pulled. The Turbo has good top end also and traps right at 120mph which is pretty stout.

996TTx50

Established Member
Nice kill dude!!! I believe you.

1. AWD is NOT an option on the turbo. Rather, with the exception of the GT2, ALL current model 996 Turbos are AWD. If it said “turbo” on the back, as you described, it was AWD.

2. The t/c’d engine benefits just as much from the cold air as your s/c’d engine.

3. 996TTs are top end cars and do far better from a roll than from a dig.

4. I am surprised that you pulled a 996TT with merely an intake and exhaust. Stock to stock, the 996TT is a half second faster than a 03/04 Cobra. I wouldn’t have thought that an intake and exhaust would be enough to make up the difference.

5. 400 hp at the wheels with a mere intake and exhaust (no chip or pully) is very impressive.

:beer:

996TTx50

Last edited:

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
ahh here he is ^,

and earlier i was about to ask if he was rolling against one of the newest turbos with the x50 package, which makes it around the same hp as the '01 GT2... 450-460 hp i think?
modded cobras :rockon: modded porsches :rockon:

the ambush

Established Member
"400 hp at the wheels with a mere intake and exhaust (no chip or pully) is very impressive"

yes it is, and it's realistic too, i hit 415 rwhp with my 04 (cai+catback). :banana:

gt2 must be a blast when modded :bowdown:

T-Bolt

Official 'ring tow rig...
Established Member
I'm gonna have to call bs on your dad owning one, because if he had bought one new, you would know that the only turbo 911 available without AWD is the GT2.

Users who are viewing this thread