Piston noise before warmed up..?

Bluebolt

Hold my beer n watch this
Established Member
Im not sure what the reflash changed to be honest. Searched around before I had it done and everyone seemed to get the same results I did.

SicShelby09

Banned
There is a tsb to flash the ecu with an update. The noise is the cam phasers. They are very high up and it takes a little while for the oil to get up there to quiet them down. There is no fix for this. It's normal. I have driven 3 5.0s that have done this since new.

SILV03MustangGT

Han Brolo CDR 5.Broliance
Established Member
There is a tsb to flash the ecu with an update. The noise is the cam phasers. They are very high up and it takes a little while for the oil to get up there to quiet them down. There is no fix for this. It's normal. I have driven 3 5.0s that have done this since new.

what does the ECU flash do?(besides flash it lol)

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
I hear some cold start engine noises. They go away after the car has run for a little while. I also have one of the ticks. Whatever, it runs like a beast...albeit a noisy beast. I also, apparently, have bent axle flanges. So much fun!

Mike

KonaGT

Established Member
I hear some cold start engine noises. They go away after the car has run for a little while. I also have one of the ticks. Whatever, it runs like a beast...albeit a noisy beast. I also, apparently, have bent axle flanges. So much fun!

Mike

Mike what is bent? The acutal shafts or the tubes off the housing?

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member

Mike

I had the engine tick after the oil change way back at 3k, took it to the dealer got the run around, blah blah....well a buddy of mine told me to switch over to penzoil Ultra 5w30 cause it cured his tick....well sure as heck as soon as i switched over, tick was gone. Its been almost 5k tickless....idk what it is about PU but it worked

I was running german castrol, redline, and pennzoil platinum

SILV03MustangGT

Established Member
I had the engine tick after the oil change way back at 3k, took it to the dealer got the run around, blah blah....well a buddy of mine told me to switch over to penzoil Ultra 5w30 cause it cured his tick....well sure as heck as soon as i switched over, tick was gone. Its been almost 5k tickless....idk what it is about PU but it worked

I was running german castrol, redline, and pennzoil platinum

Interesting, I'm waiting on Ford to call me this morning. I'm sure they are going to tell me what the tech looked up which is the note the boss mustang does this as well due to the aluminum forged pistons. I'll keep yall posted on what they tell me.

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
Mike what is bent? The acutal shafts or the tubes off the housing?

The flanges..the flat portion at the end of the axle. Apparently Shaun also had this problem. It is evidenced by low speed squeaking from the rear and squeaking under braking.

Mike

KonaGT

Established Member
Have you checked the runout on them or just assumed that was the issue? How did you guys determine this was a defect?

SILV03MustangGT

Established Member
Just got back from Ford. They told me that they really couldn't replicate the noise but they are going to do the stretchy belt/timing cover TSB on the car. I should get the car back tomorrow afternoon or friday morning.

SicShelby09

Banned
what does the ECU flash do?(besides flash it lol)

I have no idea. But I could swear that the noise was less, and the car was more powerful. It changed my strategy code though. Since then, I pretty much forgot about that cold start noise, and I let the car warm up a long time.

SILV03MustangGT

Established Member
well picked up the car from ford after having the stretchy belt replaced with the new timing cover/tensioner setup. drove the car home and the CEL comes on and its the P0024 exhaust cam shaft timing over advanced. so back to Ford she went, hopefully ill know more tomorrow.

RFM50

Established Member
Hey guys this may sound weird but I had this same noise and I just recently swapped to a lethal h pipe and a gt500 Pcv valve both at the same time and have not heard the noise since. I have a feeling it has something to do with the Pcv valve being more restrictave and not allowing so much oil to push through the intake.

Users who are viewing this thread