Pics of my roll bar with Roll Bar Rapz

Dingleweed

Grower of dingleberries
Established Member
Well, I finally "finished" my roll bar installation. This week I bought some padding from Jegs, and some Roll Bar Rapz from Summit Racing which are neoprene covers.

It looks sooo much better and is sooo much safer in case I actually put somone in the back seat. It no longer has that skinny metal look, but now has a much thicker "upholstered" look to it.

Here are some before pics:
feb0619.jpg

feb0612.jpg

Here are some after pics:
rapz1.jpg

rapz2.jpg

rapz3.jpg

What do ya think?

Dingleweed

Grower of dingleberries
Established Member
FBMphil said:
Damnnnn dude, drop that sucka.

Yeah, that's my next project. I have a bit of a dilema though with my 315s. I have a 97 Cobra solid axle which is 3/4" narrower. That was just enough for the insides of my tires to touch the exhaust pipes. I then put on my brother's 1" spacers. This pushed the tires out far enough that if they were to move far enough upwards they would rub the inside lip of the fenders.

I have done some rough measurements and think that if I use some 1/4" spacers, that will seat the tires in far enough that they won't rub the exhaust, and they'll clear the fender lip if I lower it and hit a big bump...

fbmPHIL said:
Looks hot with the black 03's.

Thanks! For some reason, when my tires are in the sun, they look much lighter in the pics than they do in real life. In person, the tires and rims are always about the same color (as it looks in the pics where the tires are in the shade.)

Ericr67

The Cobra Beast
Established Member
Looks great Dingle!!! But do you really think your car is black enough? Seems like you could go blacker...I just can't figure out how....

Dingleweed

Grower of dingleberries
Established Member
Ericr67 said:
Looks great Dingle!!! But do you really think your car is black enough? Seems like you could go blacker...I just can't figure out how....

Well, I do want to eventually get my windows tinted as well :coolman:
And maybe take out the yellow turn signal reflector things :-D

JebTonkin

That's what she said.....
Established Member
Looks really good, I plan on doing a roll bar this summer. But please please wash it.

Ericr67

The Cobra Beast
Established Member
Oh, I guess that would be "viper blue", looks purple to me. Either way your ride looks "hideous".

P.S. Kinda sucks when people rag on your stuff doesn't it? If you don't like it don't do it yourself.

Dingleweed

Grower of dingleberries
Established Member
Screamin Cobra said:
is that a 2'' lift?

Hey, that's not nice to make fun of the vertically challenged :??:

My unique solid axle setup along with my 315s doesn't leave much wiggle room, but I think I have it figured out and should be lowering the car soon. :-D

Dingleweed

Grower of dingleberries
Established Member
quadcammer said:
you have any pics of how it goes through the interior.

No, I don't have any right now. I might take some tomorrow and post them.

I have to admit that the Autopower roll bar is a perfect fit, even with the padding on it. Probably a better fit than a custom job, unless it was a top-notch fabricator.

cobraracer46

Banned
Dingleweed said:
I have to admit that the Autopower roll bar is a perfect fit, even with the padding on it. Probably a better fit than a custom job, unless it was a top-notch fabricator.
That top notch fabricator you are referring to would be Griggs Racing.
In a month or two, I will be installing a Griggs 4 point convertible bar on my rag top because it is the best fitting convertible roll bar I have ever seen. The Griggs roll bar is way more expensive than an autopower set up and much more difficult to install since welding is required to put it in and all of the rear interior needs to be removed, and put back in once the bar is in place but the results are well worth the effort. I will post picks and a write up when the project is done. :burnout:

bbenthin

I hate Passats
Established Member
How about some close-up pics of the padding and wrap.
And perhaps some install tips.

Bring the tech dude. ;)

Dingleweed

Grower of dingleberries
Established Member
quadcammer said:
you have any pics of how it goes through the interior.

Here are some interior pics. My camera seems to be having some serious contrast issues lately... :bash: My interior is actually dark black, not light grey as it looks in the pics :nonono:

Anyway, here are the pics (and yes, I know that I need to vacuum and clean the interior)
rollback1.jpg

Please ignore the wrinkles in the velcro fastening. It was dark in my garage when I first put it on. I just need to straighten it out a bit...
rollback2.jpg

rollback3.jpg

rollback4.jpg

Now, finally a pic with my camera where my tires don't look light grey and my wheels look black...
rollback5.jpg

fangstang

Established Member
You installed it yourself? Great job! Looks amazing! I plan on adding one to my coupe sometime soon. I was wondering where can I find one for my coupe? And what did it run ya?

Users who are viewing this thread