Pics of my AFS 18x10.5 Chrome 03 Wheels with 335s

YoungCobra

aka BigBlackCobra
Established Member
Imagine all your coworkers walking out to the parking to lot and seeing that gorgeous car. I think I'm sold on the 18" Chome AFS wheels as being the best bang for the buck wheel upgrade for an 03.They look so hot.

RGrossman

Established Member
Where did this post come from? I can't believe how high my car was back then! Yikes... Stock Cobra's better get lowering springs! Also, the front tires have a diameter of 25.9 and the rears are 26.1 so the fronts are not taller then the rears...

Here is how it looks now. This is a great example of how much springs are needed. Yikes it was high stock.

DSCF0001.JPG

DSCF0002.JPG

DSCF0005.JPG

DSCF0007.JPG

Jpjr

Established Member
I got these same rims off ebay, winning bid $610. (can you tell I'm still elated?) Looking for tires now, but will probably wait until Spring to decide. Looking at 295 BFG's or PS2's...

BuffDigits

Bling - Bling
Established Member
I have 335's on 18x10.5's with H&R springs. Only had to shave a dime sized piece off of eah IRS bolt, thats it. no rubbing.

only complaint is after a year the H&R's have sagged an addtional inch.
even put in brand new M&M isolators. Still sagged an inch in addition
to the 1.5 inches it dropped in the beginning. either I got bad springs
or they are just cheap crap. Im switching them out this month for something else.

so as long as I dont have passengers I dont bang anything, but my tires will wack the fender well on decent bumps, two people in the car, or hard turns.

wasnt a problem when I first had it done, no rubbing, but the springs just didnt hold up well and continue to sag. have heard the racing H&R springs dont do that but I can tell you im not the first to see problems with those springs.

maybe youll have better luck.

jay f.

Established Member
I have the H&R's also with pilot sports, but they are 295/35/18 on the 18in afs's. I also have what i believe to be a 1/4 in spacer..might be 1/8 with a non-shaved irs bolt. The only problem i had with rubbing is when they mounted the tires and then lowered the car back down it rubbed on the tire. How bad does it rub at a 335? I want to go wider but worried that the bolt will get caught on the tire even if i get it shaved. Whats your guy's experience with this?

also how is the ride with such a wide tire? a guy i work with has a z28 and told me that when he ran a 315 he had a lot of problems with highway driving and the tires tracking. said the ride was pretty crappy.

thanks for any help before hand ;)

jay f.

BuffDigits

Bling - Bling
Established Member
My car doesnt feel any different then it did with 275's, well actually it does but its better then it was not worse. The tracking problem is affected more by the width of your front tires (in terms of pulling the car around).

I havent noticed any real problem with tracking, also the width of the tire wouldnt seem to impact ride quality much, maybe increase road noise.
what does impact is the apsect ratio, if you go from 40/45's to 30/35's
you definately feel the difference as there is less cushioning involved
with the tire itself so you feel more bumps, dips, ruts, etc. so the shorter the tire (thinner the side wall in terms of height) the more youll probably feel the road.

Ive had a lot of other suspension work done so maybe its less dramatic on my setup then on a stock setup.

as for width im 335, up and down on lift no problem, only irs bolt shaved. but I am using ssr's which have the proper offset. other rims may impact your results.

Users who are viewing this thread