Picked up my "E85"

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
Well being in the Northeast the winter blend was very much mixed in this tank. Tested it twice to 77-78%. So we will test it on that and if I decide to stick with the ethanol, Ill just have to watch when the percentage goes up and check the a/f as it will go leaner.

Dyno session should commence tonight...

IMG_0535.jpg

Last edited:

04spinbra

Established Member
That sucks about the blend %!! But finally we get to see some dyno number with an eaton!!! Good Luck!!

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
That sucks about the blend %!! But finally we get to see some dyno number with an eaton!!! Good Luck!!

yea...I mean its not terrible...only 7-8% more gas. Still might try that Ignite fuel once my local dealer gets some in a few weeks. At least the Ignite stuff will be (should be) consistent.

and Posi tested not too long ago and picked up a bit. If I can get 15 Ill be happy

dlaude

Established Member

I have dyno numbers on an eaton.

yea...I mean its not terrible...only 7-8% more gas. Still might try that Ignite fuel once my local dealer gets some in a few weeks. At least the Ignite stuff will be (should be) consistent.

and Posi tested not too long ago and picked up a bit. If I can get 15 Ill be happy

On a conservative E70 tune, I hit 484/495 with only a 2.76, JLT CAI, mid-pipe, and catback...and necessary fuel upgrades. Should be able to hit 500+ with the E85 tune (will update on 5/6/11!!!). Tuner said that if he tuned for 93, it would have been 455ish. So I gained ~30hp on a conservative tune. This is 93 vs E85 though, not race gas vs E85.

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
I have dyno numbers on an eaton.

On a conservative E70 tune, I hit 484/495 with only a 2.76, JLT CAI, mid-pipe, and catback...and necessary fuel upgrades. Should be able to hit 500+ with the E85 tune (will update on 5/6/11!!!). Tuner said that if he tuned for 93, it would have been 455ish. So I gained ~30hp on a conservative tune. This is 93 vs E85 though, not race gas vs E85.

a little more different. Some tuners don't like timing on 93 which is why a lot of guys see lower numbers. Ive been using high timing for a year now so thats not really the factor.

My VP109 was $12 / gal

Pump E85 was $3.29 / gal

even if it makes the same power I will probably stick with it. Just a super pain as Ill have to buy a drum and go fill it and somehow get it out of my truck afterwards...lol

Im also not sure how its going to like the bottle....

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
You need a 30% larger fuel jet, but Im sure you knew that already.

E85 by me is only 77% and I have a dyno appt next week. Ill just adjust the MAF transfer function if the A/F changes when E85 comes out.

I run a dry shot so will have to be in the tune. I just mean as far as handling boost and n2o. I dont think anyone has done it yet?

gt347mustang

Established Member
It will be hard to see the difference in A/F from say e80 to e85. Are you able to get straight ethanol around there to bring that fuel up to e85, or whatever blend you want to tune on?

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
Damn 3.29 a gallon! I paid 2.93 this past weekend and got E86 (tested). Found a station that has 85%+ for the last month or two. The more local stations were in the 70-75% range

Good luck with the tuning!

it will potentially run a bit lean as the Ethanol blend increases. Jon Lund explained to me (in general) better to tune on e85 so that it runs a bit rich when you're using a lower blend

Last edited:

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
It will be hard to see the difference in A/F from say e80 to e85. Are you able to get straight ethanol around there to bring that fuel up to e85, or whatever blend you want to tune on?

from what I was told E70 (minimum) to E85 (max) could be as high as 1 point on the tune but probably more like half a point. still thats puts you in the red if tuning on E70 and then the percentage goes up.

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
Damn 3.29 a gallon! I paid 2.93 this past weekend and got E86 (tested). Found a station that has 85%+ for the last month or two. The more local stations were in the 70-75% range

Good luck with the tuning!

it will potentially run a bit lean as the Ethanol blend increases. Jon Lund explained to me (in general) better to tune on e85 so that it runs a bit rich when you're using a lower blend

that is ideal....but i can only work with what I got. I will always test it and when it starts to go up Ill just watch the sideband. Can always redo the tune for the minor percentage in a/f change and then lock it to the "summer blend". I think Ill be able to adjust enough with the Xcal though.

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
that is ideal....but i can only work with what I got. I will always test it and when it starts to go up Ill just watch the sideband. Can always redo the tune for the minor percentage in a/f change and then lock it to the "summer blend". I think Ill be able to adjust enough with the Xcal though.

all makes sense, the tuner should be able to email a minor adjustment if needed as well.

another option if you are feeling ambitious is to get some denatured alcohol and blend up the fuel to E85

Teej281

Established Member
Damn guys, e85 is 2.60 up here in Harrisburg. Lol I can't wait to invert my car to the corn. It's a daily driver, but premium up here is over $4/gal so it's actually more economical now to switch. I just have to drive 25 minutes to put it in my tank, which I'm perfectly fine with. Everyone enjoys a little cruise every once and a while.

da2k17

Established Member
I run a dry shot so will have to be in the tune. I just mean as far as handling boost and n2o. I dont think anyone has done it yet?

i dont believe so.. in two weeks or so mine will be getting tuned for e85, posi port, upper, lower, 150 shot and cams, cant wait...

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
all makes sense, the tuner should be able to email a minor adjustment if needed as well.

another option if you are feeling ambitious is to get some denatured alcohol and blend up the fuel to E85

I don't want to get into that. Just more time ya know...and what if you forget...lol

Damn guys, e85 is 2.60 up here in Harrisburg. Lol

yea we pay a good premium up here to have it shipped up to Burke Oil I guess. They are the only distributor up here and they fill the 3 pumps we have.

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
I don't want to get into that. Just more time ya know...and what if you forget...lol

well I really meant just for the initial tune. come the summer you can fill up a drum or two and have a better blend thru part of the fall/winter.

Users who are viewing this thread