*Phase 3* Carburetor Swap and Spool'd Rear End

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
5933343798_e69bea540e.jpg

don't mind the wires hanging down..I have yet to 'button' up the bottom side of the dashboard...so when it goes on the road it will be 100% perfect.

5933344444_dcf1df6a44.jpg

5933345214_8443e9b424.jpg

5933346366_eaf70ec6a8.jpg

I got my oil pressure gauge mounted in for the last time..when I get the money I will also pick up a fuel pressure gauge to put next to it as well.

I'm going to get some more work taken car of the car today to try and get the drivability spot on. :]

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
So I just wanted to give an update on the running condition of my car.

So obviously yesterday I did my first drive..but the carburetor wasn't quite perfect yet [or at all close]

I had a random misfiring issue that would happen during the transition circuit [Idle circuit is just fine..no misfiring and it is in the 13s] The A/F would show a bit rich [10/11s] but when I pulled the plugs the front two cylinders would be fouled and the farther back I go the less fouled they were.

So I went ahead and today I opened up the secondary blades more so that it would be a little more even distribution of pulling air/fuel in [especially since it is a single plane intake].

I started the car up..let it get up to temps and then it still was stuttering around 1500-2000...so I revved it up and gave it some hell to get all the fuel and crap off the plugs..and low and behold..the misfiring went away!

She revs nice and smoothly..however the AF will dip in the 9s and 10s which is not good AT ALL! Although I did pull all my plugs and while they showed rich..atleast ALL of my plugs show it evenly now.

I already have 66 jets up front and 72s[or 73s..forgot] in the rear..so I'm going to get bigger air bleeds for the main circuit to lean it out some.

.....basically it is just taking things one step at a time. I have literally had to make EVERY single adjustment and change on this carburetor to get it to this point, but in the end of the day it is just more experience and knowledge gained.

The car starts up surprisingly well for not having a choke..push the pedal down a few times and crank her over and she fires right up and holds an idle by herself! [Granted I know during the winter time..that will be a different story, lol]

Last edited:

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
So I figured I would update this thread.

My issue wasn't that she was running rich..it was she was LEAN. Simply didn't have enough fuel for when I would put my pedal down.

I finally got my radiator fans hooked up and I'm about to test and see how they hold up. Also I got a few other things taken care of on the car as well....my dzus fasteners come in on Monday so I will finally have a hooded car then! lol

My car is now finally tagged and licensed as well. Made a lot of headway in terms of 'drivability' the last few days.

03svtcobracoupe

Established Member
I know im kinda late in the thread but, this is awesome i carb swapped my fox and it runs better then it did from the factory some people are critical of it but super diff. but...... on another note you could've made all of your stock gauges work by running mechanical sending units and with a couple little modifications and probably saved some money just an idea ! looks awesome tho can't wait to see some numbers

DuffManRHA

The cake is not a lie.
Established Member
Be sure to post pics of your dzus fastner setup on the hood when you get them on. I love the look of them on my friend's '53 TR3 and would like to use them on an aftermarket hood myself (and 2000R splitter so its removable)

Looks like a lot of fun, and I can def appreciate the starting up right the first time and idling correctly, feels great!

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
Do you have a close up pic of your alt setup?

Be sure to post pics of your dzus fastner setup on the hood when you get them on. I love the look of them on my friend's '53 TR3 and would like to use them on an aftermarket hood myself (and 2000R splitter so its removable)

Looks like a lot of fun, and I can def appreciate the starting up right the first time and idling correctly, feels great!

Thanks I appreciate it and I will post up pictures shortly! I have my setup complete.

Chris, is the beast ready for the cool air?

I don't think the cold weather is ready for the beast! It's like 80 degrees here in Florida. Haha.

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
299823_10150429836909948_656049947_10379077_2051647686_n.jpg

320741_10150394431119948_656049947_10161710_1025525359_n.jpg

My alternator setup before I painted and cleaned up the engine bay

282125_10150320622454948_656049947_9504864_5664959_n.jpg

Dzus setup
254716_10150338769664948_656049947_9710024_4325111_n.jpg

And here is my dash currently. My race panel is out while I'm making a REAL carbon fiber replacement for it.

380853_10150515944504948_656049947_10741128_1663486286_n.jpg

DuffManRHA

The cake is not a lie.
Established Member
Damn you photobucket for being blocked here at work!

Since I can't look at your setup til I get home, what company did you use for the fasteners?

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
Damn you photobucket for being blocked here at work!

Since I can't look at your setup til I get home, what company did you use for the fasteners?

Dzus is the brand for the fasteners. And the brackets are moroso.

Dude, I don't think I ever told you,,,,

Sweet build!!!!!
Good to find someone else who can work a carb set up.

Thanks man! Still a work in progress.. But what build isn't? Lol

Nice build for sure! So it doesn't drop down in the 60's at night?

Thanks! And not really.. It gets to about 70 but that's it. It was cold a few weeks ago, but it is a warm phase now. I've driven in 30-40* weather just fine though, car is 100% streetable

DuffManRHA

The cake is not a lie.
Established Member
Dzus is the brand for the fasteners. And the brackets are moroso.

Anyway you could take some closeup shots to give me an idea of how they are setup? I was thinking of still having hood struts, but instead of using traditional hood pins, use these for a cleaner looking install; I just don't think hood pins work on modern cars, but black on black dzus fasteners would be awesome, I just don't know what to look for when purchasing them, and what all is involved fabrication-wise to make them work.

Also, how do you like that PCV setup that you have going? Is it a race-only thing or is it very streetable?

Overall looks kickass, can't wait to see the finished interior!

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
Some other cool pictures.. I haven't updated this thread so I figured I would.

6280586813_263e287bd4_z.jpg

[youtube_browser]ffzO-xHd90k[/youtube_browser]

Anyway you could take some closeup shots to give me an idea of how they are setup? I was thinking of still having hood struts, but instead of using traditional hood pins, use these for a cleaner looking install; I just don't think hood pins work on modern cars, but black on black dzus fasteners would be awesome, I just don't know what to look for when purchasing them, and what all is involved fabrication-wise to make them work.

Also, how do you like that PCV setup that you have going? Is it a race-only thing or is it very streetable?

Overall looks kickass, can't wait to see the finished interior!

I've had no problems with my pcv setup..it currently resides hiding in my wheel well.

6278545408_668b433819_z.jpg

and I don't think DZUS fasteners would work on a traditional hood and I would not recommend it either. They're designed to just hold a thin sheet. If you want dzus fasteners then go with a true lift-off hood.

Here are how my brackets are lined up..wasn't too hard to do, just took my time and made sure I had everything lined up and even. I then riveted and screwed in sheet metal screws for reinforcement.

6443152647_83b9360536_z.jpg

I love having a lift off hood personally, its extremely light and makes it easier when it comes to working on the car. Only takes me a few extra seconds to pop it off and I can pull the whole thing off myself. It gets a little annoying every now and then, but overall...I prefer my lift off hood over the stock hinge one.

DuffManRHA

The cake is not a lie.
Established Member
I know dzus isn't the right word, but they look so damn similiar and I am wracking my brain trying to think what they are called so I can find them and post a pic, but its like a heavy-duty dzus "style" fastener, and they're used as hood retainers.

Any idea on what the weight will be once its all said and done?

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
AeroCatch Hood Pins Flush Mount Latch - Mitsubishi 3000GT / Dodge Stealth Parts

this what you are talking about?

My car weighs 2900lbs in FULL street trim[3040lbs W/ driver]..thats with 10.5" knock off saleens on the car. Easy 27xxlbs in race trim.

I'm beginning to make carbon fiber parts for my car, I still have stock style suspension, full weight doors, bumper supports, and a lot of other places where I can remove weight. I'd like to see 2500-2600 lbs when all is said and done with a cage.

Users who are viewing this thread