pedal stuck- cobra is messed up

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
I'm betting that car is seriously screwed up. There's a lot more damage there than just sheet metal. I'm betting the whole cowl has been moved. It may not be totalled, but it's sure going to take a lot of cutting and pulling to get it right.

But it's just iron. You're not. The car can be replaced.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I would just love to see Ford sued over this. There is absolutely no reason why they have not issued a TSB or recall to have it fixed. I know "they're working on it", but it is too long now. Customer #1, eh? :bs: :mj:

P.S. - So thankful you were not hurt. Personally I would talk to an attorney based on what happened, although I doubt you'll get far. What is needed is a class-action law suit.

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
CobraBob said:
I would just love to see Ford sued over this. There is absolutely no reason why they have not issued a TSB or recall to have it fixed. I know "they're working on it", but it is too long now. Customer #1, eh? :bs: :mj:

P.S. - So thankful you were not hurt. Personally I would talk to an attorney based on what happened, although I doubt you'll get far. What is needed is a class-action law suit.

The problem with a class action law suit Bob is there is no "class". This is the first and only car I've seen actually damaged due to this. But you're right...if they don't do something soon, there could be a much larger class in the future.

However, you can bring suit individually. I would guess you have a great case for getting a brand spanking new Shelby GT500!!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Yeah, I hear ya. It is just plain frustrating that a company can get away with this crap when they know they have an issue to deal with. Sadly, people's safety and lives are secondary to the bottom line. :-(

QueenCobra22

SVT GIRL
Established Member
Wow! So sorry to see your car. Glad you and your girlfriend are okay.

I read on another thread that this is common with the 04 Cobra... seeing how yours is an 03, I am assuming the problem is with both years... correct?

blackvenom77

killer cobra
Established Member
QueenCobra22 said:
Wow! So sorry to see your car. Glad you and your girlfriend are okay.

I read on another thread that this is common with the 04 Cobra... seeing how yours is an 03, I am assuming the problem is with both years... correct?
Yes, Please everyone fix your carpet before it's TOO late!! It doesn't take very long at all!

Chucko

Palindrome
Established Member
Pulled from NHTSA website 9/20/05

Here's the text of what the NHTSA website summary says. They upgraded the Preliminary Evaluation (PE05038) of the problem to an Engineering Analysis (EA05014), which is what I believe to be a major step in the right direction.

Make: FORD
Model: MUSTANG
Type: PASSENGER CAR
Year: 2003
NHTSA Action Number: EA05014
Summary:
PE05-038 WAS OPENED ON JULY 7, 2005, WITH 11 CONSUMER COMPLAINTS TO ODI ALLEGING INCIDENTS OF THROTTLE STICKING DUE TO ACCELERATOR PEDAL INTERFERENCE WITH THE CARPET. ODI HAS RECEIVED AN ADDITIONAL 24 COMPLAINTS SINCE THE PE WAS OPENED. DURING PE05-038, FORD SUPPLIED COMPLAINT AND WARRANTY INFORMATION REGARDING 86 ADDITIONAL INCIDENTS OF ACCELERATOR PEDAL INTERFERENCE IN MODEL YEAR 2003 TO 2004 MUSTANG COBRA VEHICLES. EIGHTY-FIVE OF THESE HAD CONCERNS OF ACCELERATOR PEDAL STICKING, 70 OF WHICH WERE ANALYZED AS BEING RELATED TO CARPET INTERFERENCE. ODI IS CONTINUING ITS ANALYSIS OF THE CAUSAL FACTORS IN THE REMAINING 15 INCIDENTS. AN ENGINEERING ANALYSIS HAS BEEN OPENED TO FURTHER ASSESS THE FREQUENCY, SCOPE AND SAFETY CONSEQUENCES OF THE ALLEGED DEFECT.

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
FireRed04Vert said:
The problem with a class action law suit Bob is there is no "class". This is the first and only car I've seen actually damaged due to this. But you're right...if they don't do something soon, there could be a much larger class in the future.

I think the average Cobra driver is better than most people at performance and emergency situational driving so we don't have many crashes when the pedals stick. Imagine what would happen if the pedal stuck with one of our wives or kids who don't have our experience driving the cars? That's a scary thought.

If these were Taurus's or Ford 500's accelerator pedals sticking, there would be accidents galore and Ford would be fielding multiple lawsuits.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
NHTSA Man said:
forced03,

PLEASE go to this website and register an offical complaint with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. www.safercar.gov

after the wreck i was really confused on what just happened. then i got back in the car and felt that the pedal was stuck almost WOT and it made a lot more sense. i asked the cop to verify that the pedal was stuck and he got in the car and verified it

welcome to our forum! :beer:

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
NHTSA Man said:
forced03,

PLEASE go to this website and register an offical complaint with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. www.safercar.gov

after the wreck i was really confused on what just happened. then i got back in the car and felt that the pedal was stuck almost WOT and it made a lot more sense. i asked the cop to verify that the pedal was stuck and he got in the car and verified it

Do you know anything about the video that I sent the NHTSA of my throttle becoming stuck while on the dyno? You may even be the person I spoke to. My name is Jeff Hoops.

-Jeff

NHTSA Man

Please

forced03 said:
here is the damage :(

wreck.jpg
Dude

PLEASE FILE A COMPLAINT
www.safercar.gov

dynobobstieg

The throttle cable came unwrapped from the throttle body and stuck the throttle blade open the fix for this is a small cotter pin on pivot arm. Sorry for your mishap.
I will post a fix in a couple of days.

Users who are viewing this thread