pedal stuck- cobra is messed up

forced03

Established Member
pedal got stuck down tonight and i didn't have time to realize that was the problem. it is not stuck under carpet though- it is stuck down at around 3/4 throttle. i can still push it in the rest of the way and it retracts back to 3/4 throttle.

anyway, happened in 2nd gear and caused the car car to spin out of control. i was really confused cuase when i started to apply the brake the car lost control. next thing i know i'm whipping around and heading towards some parked cars. it happened really fast.

luckily no one was in the other cars and my girl friend and i seem to be ok. little shaken and a little sore.

after the wreck i was really confused on what just happened. then i got back in the car and felt that the pedal was stuck almost WOT and it made a lot more sense. i asked the cop to verify that the pedal was stuck and he got in the car and verified it. i asked him to put it in a report but he wouldn't cause he said he wasn't a mechanic.

the car is pretty messed up. i hope they total it but it may be fixable.

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
I'm betting it's stuck under the carpet....the hinge will be caught. If you have a little free play in your carpet, it will do just what you described.

If this is the case, go to the "stickys" at the first of this forum and FILE A COMPLAINT!! The NHTSA and Ford are fully aware of this problem and it is being addressed. You may very well get a nice compensation from this.

Thank God no one was hurt.

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
Glad to hear you are OK. Here's some advice for anyone else or if this happens again. First thing to do is push in the clutch. This will kill your forward impetus. The engine will be bouncing off the rev limiter so unless you can free the pedal quickly with a couple of kicks or a toe pry, get to the side of the road and shut the car down by turning off the key. Keep in mind that when you turn off the key you will lose power steering and power brakes. In my opinion, it's better to bounce off the rev limiter until you can safely get off the road and shut down. Stay calm and react quickly but carefully. Do not lose control of the car in traffic.

Forced 03, call the NHTSA [National Highway Traffic Safety Association and report the incident. If enough people do that, Ford will be forced to address the sticking pedal issue. http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/ You may help save someone else's life by calling.

Message to any Ford personnel reading this thread: Is someone going to have to die before you put out a recall on these sticking pedals?

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I sent the NHTSA a video of mine with the pedal stuck while running on the dyno. They had been keeping in touch, but I have not heard anything from them for a month or so.

-Jeff

Hye

Established Member
I had my pedal stuck underneath the carpet as well, pretty damn scary the first time it happened, scared the living bejesus outa me. Since i've cut a nice chunk of the carpet out (with a razorblade) so the carpet is no where near the gas pedal when I go to apply the gas, no problems since!

Friendchicken

That is BS about the LEO not including the pedal position. You do not have to be a mechanic to note it's static position. If you were asking him to tell you why it was stuck, then he would have to be a certified mechanic...

That is like him not noting the direction of the tires at an accident cause he isn't a tire jockey.

I suggest you take pics of the pedal, the carpet below the pedal and the throttle cable in the engine compartment.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Glad you are ok!!!
The NHTSA guy e-mailed me again last week... he wanted some photos to put with the write up I did...
I sent them in last week..

I wish Ford would just do the right thing.... and fast!!! :nonono:

forced03

Established Member
here is the damage :(

wreck.jpg

Shanezam203

Established Member
Black2004Cobra said:
man that sucks. I sure as shit it hope it doesn't happen to anyone else, including myself.
I agree. Is it the carpet or the pedal? Ive just recently been reading of this. What do I do to prevent this in my car 100%? Remove the carpet, cut away a section for the pedal or is it something in the pedal???

Sorry to hear about your car. Good luck with repairs, and getting it back to normal.
Shane

Terminator

Established Member
Glad to hear nobody was hurt.
Take this from experience, the best thing to do in a situation like a stuck throttle is to turn off the ignition, leave it in gear and coast to safety. The engine will still be turning while in gear and you will have power steerng & brakes to maneuver. I know it's much easier said than done when your in an extreme panic but it worked for me.

While we wait for Ford to issue a recall (if it ever happens), we should be spreading the word like wildfire through sanctioned events, auto shows, rally's and such. The life saved could be yours or a loved one.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
Terminator said:
...Take this from experience, the best thing to do in a situation like a stuck throttle is to turn off the ignition, leave it in gear and coast to safety. The engine will still be turning while in gear and you will have power steerng & brakes to maneuver. I know it's much easier said than done when your in an extreme panic but it worked for me....

good idea!

I'd like to point out that this will not work on automatic transmission vehicles

PonyFever

'03 DSG vert 3816 of 5082
Established Member
Sorry to hear about your incident and good luck with the repairs. I noticed the air bags didn't deploy so unless you have side impact frame damage, it's unlikely the insurance will declare it a total loss (but you can keep your fingers crossed). Carpet shaving is one of my next mods. Glad to hear you're okay and hope the bruises go away quickly.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
I forgot to add my condolences and it's good to hear that no one was hurt!

Rio

forced03 said:
here is the damage :(

wreck.jpg

i am a litigation manager for a major insurance company....mind you i do not write estimates, but it is extremely unlikely your car will be ruled a total....in general, repairs have to be 80% of the ACV.....and that is not....

fast1

I want a Cobra
Established Member
Wow, seeing that pic makes me sick. Glad to see that you two are alright. Sorry for your car.

Users who are viewing this thread