Paxton or Vmp Tvs

streetone01

SVT
Established Member
I have had both, and a turbo fox body, I will never go with a tvs/ whipple again for one simple reason HEAT SOAK SUCKS. they get hot Fast, even just cruising around town. The reason I sold my cobra was from the heat soak, being down 50 hp from the 640 it dyno'd all the time, unless it was just warming up was frustrating. yes the down low tq is great... but I don't miss it as much as I thought I would... my opinion.. centrifugal all the way

mebcop

MasterDebater
Established Member
Yes beef, because YOU don't boost during daily driving, that must mean its wrong for me to. This is the attitude I mentioned earlier.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Yes beef, because YOU don't boost during daily driving, that must mean its wrong for me to. This is the attitude I mentioned earlier.

What attitude?

I never said I don't boost, I boost all the time, lol. Probably more than anyone.

But, boost isn't needed or a benefit for daily driving itself.

streetone01

SVT
Established Member
id be curious to monitor the intake air temps on your set up.. I know mine were insane, high enough that once I started monitoring them, I was not interested in beating on the car anymore.
I have zero heat soak issues. Only 8.5psi and 80* here though

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Boost isn't a benefit for daily driving? I disagree...

In reference to the comment of why a TVS is better over a centri for DD.

It all comes down to driving style. There is nothing wrong with liking how your car drives with your setup. If that's what you like, then your in great shape. But that doesn't make it "better". It makes it better suited for you.

Any blower will make power and are a ton of fun on the street. Your driving habits will dictate what you like the most.

My point as I stated earlier, again, is $ for $ and power potential, the TVS will not outperform the Paxton. It won't, it can't.

Full weight street car you are high nines at best.

And on 3 or 4 back to back pulls on the highway, I still believe the tvs will drop off more each run from heat than the Paxton will.

mebcop

MasterDebater
Established Member
"It all comes down to driving style. There is nothing wrong with liking how your car drives with your setup. If that's what you like, then your in great shape. But that doesn't make it "better". It makes it better suited for you."

This is EXACTLY what I've been saying this WHOLE THREAD!!!!!

bam2012@TBR

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
When driving my paxton I usually drive it pretty easy and only downshift if I am messing around, or if I would need to put the pedal down enough in a higher gear to come out of vac and into boost. I don't like the idea of hitting boost in 5th, or 6th at low rpms when the motor is lagging. Like Beefcake said earlier, the auto will down shift when you put your foot in it so you need to with the mt-82 as well. I know that for me the paxton gives all the fun I want, and the power to take 95% of the cars that I see on the road. PD blowers are badass and seem to be a lot of fun, it just wasn't what I wanted when I made my purchase, all FI 5.0's are badass just choice your route and drive it. Anyone in the VA area want to go for a ride in a 600+ whp paxton I'm down.

skulls

Established Member
i'm talking peak torque is very close. Low end torque isn't as much, that's a given,

torque doesn't win races, hp wins races

Carol Shelby would disagree with that statement.

He said hp sells cars and tq wins races...

Which is true, you dont see drag cars running 4's in the 1/4 with anything less than a BIG v8 as the foundation (im not taking thier choice of fi)...and im willing to bet that we can guess why and ill refer back to mr. Shelby.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
id be curious to monitor the intake air temps on your set up.. I know mine were insane, high enough that once I started monitoring them, I was not interested in beating on the car anymore.

I just went back and looked at true street results. Elissa's car by the 3rd run (5.0 tvs car) fell off by 2.7 tenths. It's an auto car as well, so no driver error to worry about there

Carol Shelby would disagree with that statement.

He said hp sells cars and tq wins races...

Which is true, you dont see drag cars running 4's in the 1/4 with anything less than a BIG v8 as the foundation (im not taking thier choice of fi)...and im willing to bet that we can guess why and ill refer back to mr. Shelby.

my buddy's mean street car doesn't even make 400ft/lbs of torque but it goes 9.8's in the 1/4 n/a. High revving high HP car.

My 11 doesn't make as much torque as evo's pd 14, but it's 3-4 mph stronger in the 1/4

cmsnake

Established Member
From what I've gathered, my impression is torque is betting the centri's all day long given all things equal. I pm'd a member here who had a Paxton and tvs and at the same boost level stated the tvs will out perform the Paxton at the strip and a roll. There also seem to be street cars w a 100 shot beating on Paxton street cars from a roll. Also, all the manufacturers use a pd blower from the factory. I'm just relaying what I've been told and what I see on the showrooms. I just wanna know which one will perform better on my 3.31 6m car at 8-10psi from a roll, at the strip, or a half mile event on DR's...

Bloo

Established Member
Any of you mt82 guys with a TVS have 3.73s on street tires? Can you hook under 60mph AT ALL?

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
A 100 shot that beats a paxton has raced a fcked up paxton car. A 150 shot in the other hand will take a paxton and a tvs at stock boost.

streetone01

SVT
Established Member
From what I've gathered, my impression is torque is betting the centri's all day long given all things equal. I pm'd a member here who had a Paxton and tvs and at the same boost level stated the tvs will out perform the Paxton at the strip and a roll. There also seem to be street cars w a 100 shot beating on Paxton street cars from a roll. Also, all the manufacturers use a pd blower from the factory. I'm just relaying what I've been told and what I see on the showrooms. I just wanna know which one will perform better on my 3.31 6m car at 8-10psi from a roll, at the strip, or a half mile event on DR's...

I dont think many will argue that the centrifugal style will be better on a roll or half mile event.

grnenvy

Established Member
Every combo has its advantages. There's nothing like a PD and spray on the street.
U guys can talk all u want about PD but they work. Hmm didn't Evolutions car just kick some Butt with there PD and post some awesome times???

Last edited:

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor

in general the Paxton cars have dominated the 5.0 market. Not sure where your info comes from.

At stock boost levels they will all be close, in a roll race, it will depend on what speed your at. Whoever is at a better spot in their power band will win the race, all things being equal.

Once you start going up in boost, the Paxton's leave the others standing by the sideline

NickSezz

Established Member
This is not a street car...but it's not too far from it. Oh and did I mention its a 3V : )

This wasn't even the car's best time...races NMRA.

TVS 2300
482455_10151538442050139_1318224518_n.jpg

All our Cobra Jet cars run a TVS or Whipple...but that's the rules in the NHRA. No centri or turbos allowed in stock/superstock.

Users who are viewing this thread