Paxton install frustration

06colorado

Established Member
In what order do you install the plates, pulleys and head unit. The instructions suck balls and nothing is pre assembled like it says, and the spacers aren't marked like you would think being a 4k dollar kit. At this moment I feel I should have went with a Roush kit!!!

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
yea instructions kinda blow ass. put the back plate on...then the pulleys and other plates and belt then blower. after the blower is on then route your coolant hoses. thats how i did it and it was easier. make damn sure your put the fan shroud in before all of this.... yea i didnt and that went shitty.

this is a big boy installation so think outside of the box and just use that instruction packet as a reference.

Last edited:

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
my kit came pre assembled. you need a caliper to measure the spacers. page 29 of installation manual has the spacers sizes. you also have to make sure that you route the belt properly in the mounting bracket closing it

Last edited:

bam2012@TBR

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I laided the spacers all out and grouped them from smallest to biggest. the calipers would have worked but by that time is was 2am and I wasn't going anywhere for shit. The install is not bad just take your time. I used the downloaded instructions on my laptop. I put the laptop on the intake manifold and went step by step.

06colorado

Established Member
Thanks for the info so far. I have a caliper, ill write the sizes on them with a sharpie. It's nothing over my head just frustrating that the instructions are not clearer than what they are. I ordered the beefcake special but I see no reason to bother him with frustration lol.

If that's the order than the blower must be a pita to bolt up. Also is your idle pulley next to the water pump about 3/16" between the pulleys?

On my iPhone so please excuse any grammar or spelling errors.

Coyote'13

"He gone"
Established Member
In what order do you install the plates, pulleys and head unit. The instructions suck balls and nothing is pre assembled like it says, and the spacers aren't marked like you would think being a 4k dollar kit. At this moment I feel I should have went with a Roush kit!!!

It just takes a little patience. I lined up all my spacers then measured and marked them with a permanent marker. Then I made sure the quantity and sizes were correct. Then I lined everything up on a bench to get it all set as it would go on the car. Make sure the studs for the bracket are set to proper depth. You can't just screw them all the way in.

I believe 1 or 2 spacers go on the studs then the back plate. I had the bracket assembly put together then installed it at one time. The instructions for this stage of the install is pretty clear cut. That fan is tight as hell btw.

DONT bend your a/c line until you have verified that it is required!

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
the blower is not hard to bolt on at all. the hardest part for me was the piping to be honest. for some reason i had a really tough lining everything up. but it was also late and i was tired. i dont know how close the idle pulley is to the pump but its very close.

Coyote'13

"He gone"
Established Member
Should look something like this
0c3f.jpg

06colorado

Established Member
the blower is not hard to bolt on at all. the hardest part for me was the piping to be honest. for some reason i had a really tough lining everything up. but it was also late and i was tired. i dont know how close the idle pulley is to the pump but its very close.

That's more than likey the culprit, just being tired. Ill rest on this project till tomorrow and go back at it. I had it all together an bolted up put went to install the head unit and for some reason thought I should have bolted it up before hand, so I then wasted another hour on a stupid decision.

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
I bolted my head unit after I had the bracket on. Just have a beer and get back on it tomorrow. I had a buddy helping me and we took 12 hours. By my self I would think that two days would be more likely. Ofcourse now that I have do e it I could knock it off more efficient. Also if you have any questions call terry. He will help you with anything.

TexasStang4585

Snake eater
Established Member
Yeah mark them with a sharpie.....I mounted the back plate first, then added everything in between except for the belt haha. Don't do that because it will piss you off, cussing at yourself having when you have to take it back apart. lol

wakebum2507

EVLTWNS
Established Member
take your time is all I can say. myself and two friends knocked mine out in 6 hours, but they're car guys, and are all FI on much more powerful cars than my little ford.

make sure everything is right the first time. after we got mine on, it ate a belt, had two IC pipes come loose because we didnt get everything tight the first time, etc. I think i've had the front of the car apart twice since we initially installed. everything is correct this time, but we were missing one of the little spacers from the back plate, which caused it to eat a belt, which caused about 12 hours of additional work taking the car apart, pulling the bottom left pulley that the belt goes around, 70$ to overnight the 10$ spacer from cali, and 45 for a belt.

its a great set up for power now that its on good...just take your time and do it right the first time. enjoy it when its over with.

robloz50

Established Member
Wakebum what belt did it eat up? I am going to take mine back apart tomorrow to change the belt that goes to the ac because half of it is ate up and making a squeaky noise. Sorry to hijack, like the other guys say just relax drink a beer and tackle it fresh tomorrow, trust me it will be well worth it after you drive it for the first time!:beer:

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
Wakebum what belt did it eat up? I am going to take mine back apart tomorrow to change the belt that goes to the ac because half of it is ate up and making a squeaky noise. Sorry to hijack, like the other guys say just relax drink a beer and tackle it fresh tomorrow, trust me it will be well worth it after you drive it for the first time!:beer:

key part of this post.

frogui

Established Member
oh man! just finished my piping and had to take it apart. I did not put in the fan and by-pass filter the first time around. I'm praying I don't get belt slip or loose intercooler piping when logging. lol!
Belt changes are going to be so much fun now!

06colorado

Established Member
So should I mount the fan back in before the plates and head unit or just before the piping begins. I read several build threads but most pictures were deleted from them. I've got a fresh 18pk of cold Budlight waiting for this afternoon. Hopefully I don't drink them all before I get the plates together or it will have to wait for another day as well haha. So far the install had been easy just the bracket order of install is what threw me off. I appreciate all the help and motivation guys.

Anyone running this setup on the stock driveshaft and clutch? I know it's not going to last long.

What about thermostat? Should I install a lower degree unit while the coolant is drained?

numbnutz

Established Member
Agreed, buddy and I installed mine a couple weeks ago and instructions could be better. Some steps seem ass backwards, telling you to do something when you have little/no access when previously had full access, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread