Paxton 2200SL pulley question

tyndallcbr

Established Member
Quick question... what is the correct way to remove and replace the pulley on a Paxton 2200SL supercharger? I searched with Google and some forums but did not really find any information that laid out how to do it. One thought is to hold the pulley with a strap wrench and either use an impact or breaker bar to remove the nut, not real wild about the idea of using an impact on the supercharger. Also, is the nut suppose to be torqued down to a specific foot-pound when re-installed? Thanks.

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
A friend and I had the same issue with his Paxton car. We tried using the belt but the pulley would just spin, we tried using the tensioner, but with the same result. We ended up clamping a set of vice grips down on the nose of the pulley as hard as we could with one person holding the vice grips and one person breaking the bolt free(it worked beautifully).

Last edited:

tyndallcbr

Established Member
Thanks for the reply. I am in the process of installing it the kit so I can still try and do this off or on the car. Thanks again, I will keep that in mind.

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
Thanks for the reply. I am in the process of installing it the kit so I can still try and do this off or on the car. Thanks again, I will keep that in mind.

It is super easy on the car, 2 minutes for a pulley change after you have done it the first time:beer:

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
Wouldn't the impact be hard on the drive gears? I would never use an impact on a supercharger.

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
damn sean you are not gonna play around huh? lol. i never took the cap off the blower b/c i was too nervous to break the warranty lol. let me know if you have any questions or issues with the kit. i know it pretty good still.

Coyote'13

"He gone"
Established Member
we just smack it with the belt on

put the socket on it and smack it, should knock it loose

This is what I did. Used a socket and ratchet while tapping the end. Had the belt on still and it loosened the bolt easily.

tyndallcbr

Established Member
Thanks for everyone's inputs... I was able to use my 3/8 electric impact and bump the bolt on and off. Now I have another challenge... The pulley is a 3.33 and the belt is a 6 rib 100". I am working by myself and just can't manage to install the belt. It is so tight even with the factory tensioner pulled all the way over I just don't see how I can slip the belt on. I have verified the belt routing, belt size for pulley (100"/3.33) and that the supercharger pulley assembly idler pulley is in the correct position which is one over (middle position) from the 3.8/3.6 stock pulley position. I tried the belt with the supercharger idler pulley moved over 2 positions from stock but the belt maybe to loose.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Thanks for everyone's inputs... I was able to use my 3/8 electric impact and bump the bolt on and off. Now I have another challenge... The pulley is a 3.33 and the belt is a 6 rib 100". I am working by myself and just can't manage to install the belt. It is so tight even with the factory tensioner pulled all the way over I just don't see how I can slip the belt on. I have verified the belt routing, belt size for pulley (100"/3.33) and that the supercharger pulley assembly idler pulley is in the correct position which is one over (middle position) from the 3.8/3.6 stock pulley position. I tried the belt with the supercharger idler pulley moved over 2 positions from stock but the belt maybe to loose.

with a 3.33 and 100" belt, it's a great combo, you will need to "walk" the belt on more than likely

meaning, get it on up top, get it routed properly around all the accessories and then get it started on the alternator pulley, then turn the crank and "walk the belt on",

if your not working to get the belt on, it's not in the right slot, it will not be tight enough with that belt / pulley combo.

this combo will keep it from "topping out" but be very close to it, giving you the best possible tension on the pulley

Users who are viewing this thread