Passing the plastic bag test

STXDriver98544

Bass Assassin
Established Member
After claying my hood 3 times, using a Megs bar, and Griots speed shine, I still couldn't get everything off. I finally just accepted that I had done my best and polished and sealed it. How anal are you guys when it comes to this, from what I've looked into, all clay bars are the same? Should I give Iron-x a try or a product similar to it? What steps do you guys take to get the paint completely clean, I'd like to do the rest of the panels the right way. Maybe I'm wrong here but if you're using a cutting pad aren't you cutting through the missed contaminants the clay didn't get, which is why the pad gets dirty? At what point for a DD is acceptable for you guys?

blue 07

Established Member
What are you trying to remove on the hood ? I use Adams Premium Care for all my detailing needs, the best products I have used. Post a pic and I can help you further. 2013 Honda Lewie 060.jpg Marks Audi 007.jpg Charlie a 6.jpg

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I've had better luck with Speedy surface prep towels than I have with regular clay.

Honestly, I'm not very aggressive about it anymore. I don't even use a plastic bag on the whole car. I use it as a test to gauge how quickly I'm getting the contaminants out initially, and decontaminate accordingly. I maybe touch the car 3 times with a plastic sack.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
put your hand in a plastic bag then run it over the paint, you'll feel alot more of whatever is stuck in the paint than without it

STXDriver98544

Bass Assassin
Established Member
You take a thin sandwich bag, or the cellophane off a pack of Marlboro's for example, and put it over your hand or fingertips. Then gently run your fingertips over the surface of freshly washed paint, it's basically a sensory enhancer for your fingers and allows you to feel contaminants much easier. Next time you wash a vehicle that has never been clayed give it a try and you'll see it will feel like sand paper .

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
You take a thin sandwich bag, or the cellophane off a pack of Marlboro's for example, and put it over your hand or fingertips. Then gently run your fingertips over the surface of freshly washed paint, it's basically a sensory enhancer for your fingers and allows you to feel contaminants much easier. Next time you wash a vehicle that has never been clayed give it a try and you'll see it will feel like sand paper .

fact, feels like 220Grit sandpaper. Saw my neighbor washing his truck one day and hand waxing with Turttle Wax....

I showed him the plastic bag test, he frowned

NastyGT500

Naples Premier Detailer!
Established Member
No, not all clay is the same. There are different grades of clay. Fine, medium, aggressive. You may have to up the aggressiveness of your clay in order to remove more bonded contaminants. I would also recommend chemical decon as well, ie: an iron remover of your choice.

Hope this helps!

STXDriver98544

Bass Assassin
Established Member
Ok thanks, yea I did some reading on autopia and autogeek I may try the blue clay, my truck is fairly new so I don't think I'll have to step up to the red. The megs bar removed most of everything, but it was just little bumps here and there that I felt.

redrocket16

Established Member
Ok thanks, yea I did some reading on autopia and autogeek I may try the blue clay, my truck is fairly new so I don't think I'll have to step up to the red. The megs bar removed most of everything, but it was just little bumps here and there that I felt.

New vehicles can actually be some of the worst esp. if it spent time on a train and got rail dust on the paint. Decon wash and a more aggressive clay is just what you're looking for.

zPipes

Established Member
inlate.. but for what its worth, I just clayed this weekend with a chemical guys medium clay bar, and this car is smooth as glass man. I mean, its nice. I don't know if ill ever go back to fine grade clay.
- I also used just a meguires quick detail spray I had laying around, worked just fine. I had googled for lube alternatives, and most results were detail spray. I checked the price, half of the clay lube.

NastyGT500

Naples Premier Detailer!
Established Member
^^^I also use DS for clay lube at times. It works well!! Just remember, that if the medium clay isn't necessary, you can sometimes instill marring into the paint.

Least aggressive method first...

STXDriver98544

Bass Assassin
Established Member
That's actually what I wound up picking up was a CG Medium bar, haven't had time to get out and try it yet. Is there anyone out there that sells DS in a gallon for a reasonable price? I use DS or I'll keep a spray bottle with a rich Dawn/water mixture.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
That's actually what I wound up picking up was a CG Medium bar, haven't had time to get out and try it yet. Is there anyone out there that sells DS in a gallon for a reasonable price? I use DS or I'll keep a spray bottle with a rich Dawn/water mixture.
I use UWW+. It's a concentrate that you can use as a waterless wash, rinseless wash, detail spray, clay lube, window cleaner, etc.

http://www.autogeek.net/ultima-waterless-wash-concentrate.html

In it's lightest dilution, that's good for 5.5 gallons.

If you are using it as a clay lube, I would up the dilution a bit, I usually eye ball it between .5-1 ounce per 22oz of water.

zPipes

Established Member
Maybe this is a wifes tale?? But I would never touch my car with dawn or any other soap of the such, dish or bar soap. Isnt that supposed to be terrible for your car, or am I mistaken? Ive also seen posts over at autogeek about using dawn also. confuses me.

STXDriver98544

Bass Assassin
Established Member
Maybe this is a wifes tale?? But I would never touch my car with dawn or any other soap of the such, dish or bar soap. Isnt that supposed to be terrible for your car, or am I mistaken? Ive also seen posts over at autogeek about using dawn also. confuses me.

Here's the argument I've read and pass on that makes sense, you'll put this stuff on your skin and your dishes etc. but not on your vehicles paint? Our vehicles paint is extremely durable and I can promise you a little dish soap would be the last thing that would be a reason why your paint got damaged. Also remember, a lot of these youtube video guys get big discounts or sponsorships for hammering into the video and repeating that detail spray is the only thing you can use. Washing your vehicle repeatedly week in week out with a washcloth and a bucket of dish soap, yes that would damage your paint for obvious reasons. But using dish soap with the correct washing technique and proper care to the paint is different. Where did you see someone used a bar of soap? That is insane lol.

RRMBrembo

Established Member
There is an argument that while dawn may be just fine on paint, it is very aggressive on trim, especially black trim and causes it to dry out and fade prematurely. When I was a kid I used to help my dad wash the Chrysler minivan we had and he used dish soap. I remember him complaining about the black trim turning grey. Granted this is just one instance and there is no direct proof that "dawn" did this (plus it was a shitty Chrysler minivan).

More often than not, I use car washes that boost or help keep up the wax/sealant that I currently have on it so the need for a stripping wash is minimal and if I am stripping the last wax/sealant then whatever compound I'll be using will take it off.

I just don't see the cost savings by using dawn vs a decent car wash shampoo. IF dawn strips off the last wax/sealant, then you're going to have to re-apply which means you are wasting time instead of just boosting the current wax/sealant.

Users who are viewing this thread