Parts needed for timing chain tensioners change (from plastic to metal)

texas_snake

Established Member
I want to replace the plastic stock junk timing chain tensioners our 03/04 Cobras got and go to the ford metal ones with ratchets. I have 55k miles on the stock engine and I think I am just starting to hear a small rattle at startup. Thinking the seal in one of them is starting to go (which I know is common).
I know this is a reasonably big job to do. So I wanted to make sure I have the parts before I start. Here is my list so far:

- Move to Ford metal/ratchet tensioners F6AZ-6L266-CA (driver) F6AZ-6L266-DA (passenger)
- timing cover gaskets
- Crank bolt??? (I believe this is a tty. Might just buy the ARP ARP-156-2501).
- Inspect timing cover crank seal (replace if needed)
- Inspect other timing components (but it has 55k miles on it and prefer not to tear it all down if not needed)
- Valve cover gaskets
- RTV at keyway in crank pulley, timing cover and valve cover intersection
- Perhaps o-rings for the coolant crossover?
- New coolant
- Crank pulley puller tool (suggestions on a good/affordable one)?

What am I missing or need to correct. Thanks.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
are you sure that your car has plastic tensioners? not all terminators have them. i just did this job to my 04 last year, and it had plastic. but this year i opened up my 03 to do valve stem seals, and to my surprise they were ratcheting steel.

your list looks pretty good. arp crank bolt is good so you can reuse it.

texas_snake

Established Member
Thanks for the feedback. I am the original owner so I know it has never been changed. And from everything I have read and parts books seems they came with those plastic ones and everyone advises to move back to the metal/ratchet ones. Even the FRPP full timing kit comes with the metal ones.

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
You don't need to remove the valve covers, just need to loosen them and lift up slightly. Just be careful the spark plug seals don't pop off.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Unless the timing cover gasket are damaged when you pull the cover you can reuse them. I'd go with the ARP bolt as well.

I have this crank pulley kit. I haven't used it on a 4.6, but I did use it on a 302 in a 57 T-bird. There isn't a lot of room in there and this worked awesome.

gt347mustang

Established Member
Unless the timing cover gasket are damaged when you pull the cover you can reuse them. I'd go with the ARP bolt as well.

I have this crank pulley kit. I haven't used it on a 4.6, but I did use it on a 302 in a 57 T-bird. There isn't a lot of room in there and this worked awesome.

You'd be crazy not to replace a nearly 20 year old gasket or seal while you're in there.

IllCobra

Established Member
Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't the early model cobras get the steel tensioners and the newer models (after the revised heads) get the plastic. Would make sense since Ford was probably trying to lower the cost due to the recall to fix the heads.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't the early model cobras get the steel tensioners and the newer models (after the revised heads) get the plastic. Would make sense since Ford was probably trying to lower the cost due to the recall to fix the heads.
i think that's true. my 03 has them, but my 04 doesn't.

texas_snake

Established Member
I am glad I don't need to take off the valve covers fully. I did the passenger side a few years back and it sucked. I know driver is worse. I know I need to be very careful not to let the chain tension slip a tooth when swapping the tensioner if I don't have a cam holding tool in place. Not sure if there is a clock position for the crank to minimize the chance of that or valve contact under worst case if it were to slip.
I am ordering the ARP crank bolt based on feedback. And I will replace any of the gaskets seals as needed (I already have the timing cover gaskets).
On the tensioners, I will need to see what is in there. My car was built 04/2003. I know I am starting to get some rattle when it sits for a bit. If I give it a WOT dry turn for a bit to pressurize the oil and then start it, no rattle.

Users who are viewing this thread