Particularly different exhaust proposal

Andy M

Established Member
Originally posted by tbrown14
I'am running a three inch exhaust and it exits at the rear of the car.It's close to the lower corners of the fuel cell but does not hit.I can take some photos of it if anyone is interested.

Tim
Tim,

Please do. I too would be interested in seeing what your setup looks like?

TimB

Established Member
Andy

I will be putting the rear subframe back in the car tomorrow night
(tuesday) so I'll take some pictures while it's on the hoist.

Tim

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Tim:

Looks real good! :thumbsup:

I see you've done a little work on the rear suspension too!;-)

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

venom279

Established Member
Tim, it looks like you used an H-pipe, that's the same thing that I am doing, I am using a 2.5 inch H-pipe w/2 high-flow cats(To make her legal!), and I am also using 1 chambered flowmasters, I am hoping it will be nice and loud!!! :burnout:

Speaking of, I could use a little help. Could you or anyone else tell me how to get the passenger side top nut off of the header collector stud, on the facotry X-pipe? I have used everything, knuckles can't even get up on the nut correctly, I keep running into the part that is connected to the A-arm, PLEASE HELP!! Want to get the H-pipe on, Thanks

Brian

:beer:

Last edited:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Originally posted by venom279
Speaking of, I could use a little help. Could you or anyone else tell me how to get the passenger side top nut off of the header collector stud, on the facotry X-pipe? I have used everything, knuckles can't even get up on the nut correctly, I keep running into the part that is connected to the A-arm, PLEASE HELP!! Want to get the H-pipe on, Thanks

Brian

Brian:

I used a 1/2" drive deepwell socket and an impact universal joint and a loooooooong extension. I did it by hand because I didn't want to put an impact on it to chance screwing the threads up.

Hope this helps.

Andy M

Established Member
Tim,

Thanks for the pics!! That sure does look AWESOME!! so, I suppose the new rear suspension system made some extra room out back to snake the pipes out towards the side of the fuel cell??

Is all of that suspension work from KB??

TimB

Established Member
Brian

I use the same tools, the extension is long enough so you can get a breaker bar or impact on clear of the floor/ exhaust.The rear suspension has koni double adjustable coilovers and custom upper and lower control arms with kenny brown revised pickup points on the subframe.The subframe is also mounted in aluminum bushings in place of the rubber.The inner toe link mounts are also modified to eliminate rear roll steer.

Tim

TimB

Established Member
Andy

Sorry I just sent a reply and then saw your post.The subframe was done by kb and the lower control arms also by kb.The upper arms are custom pieces and both upper and lower arms have sperical bearings in place of the urethane bushings from kb.The suspension doesn't give much more room for the exhaust so I think a stock rear suspension would clear.Were you in dearborn for the 100th ,I saw Joe's car but couldn't see anyone around the cars.

Tim

Andy M

Established Member
Andy

Sorry I just sent a reply and then saw your post.The subframe was done by kb and the lower control arms also by kb.The upper arms are custom pieces and both upper and lower arms have sperical bearings in place of the urethane bushings from kb.The suspension doesn't give much more room for the exhaust so I think a stock rear suspension would clear.Were you in dearborn for the 100th ,I saw Joe's car but couldn't see anyone around the cars.

Tim
I unfortunately could not take 8 days away from home to go with Joe, otherwise, I would have been there for sure!! Did you bring out your R and get some track time??? not that you need it I suppose?

Is your exhaust system all 3" or better? and what mufflers are those??

TimB

Established Member
Andy

I didn't take my car (too far) I was there as part of a dealer trip so I didn't make it to any track events.The exhaust is all 3 inch and the mufflers are flowmaster 2 chambers.Also you can never get enough track time.

Tim

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Andy

I didn't take my car (too far) I was there as part of a dealer trip so I didn't make it to any track events.The exhaust is all 3 inch and the mufflers are flowmaster 2 chambers.Also you can never get enough track time.

Tim

Tim:

Get a load of this track time:

I'm looking at doing the Road america Event with my local BMW club in October. (Hey, some guys will do anything for track time!!:lol: ) On Friday's "Advanced lapping day" they have NINE 40 minute lapping sessions:eek: :dw: :eek: Can you say "TRACK TIME?!?!?"

Andy M

Established Member
Tim,

Can you do me/us a favor please? Could you post an audio clip of your car so we can see what it sounds like with that exhaust system installed? let me know if you need assistance in doing this?

thanks!!

venom279

Established Member
Thanks for the help guys, I will keep trying!! I would like to put a sound clip of it on here when I get it completed, I might need some help though, not really sure how to do it!! Later

Brian

venom279

Established Member
Thanks for the tips everyone, I got the H-pipe installed last night. I ended up rounding that nut that I was telling you all about, so I took off the starter and put a little heat to the nut and then took a GOOD pair of vice grips to the SOB and wahla, it started turning right off there. Now all I need to do is get the flowmasters on there and I will be all set!!

Later, Brian

Andy M

Established Member
Andy

I will need some help if you want an audio clip of my exhaust.

Thanks
Tim
Tim,

Do you have a digital camcorder?? if so, you could just take some video of your car and then I/we could help you post on the web somewhere... or I can help you take just the audio portion and post that instead.

let me know which way you wish to do this? I think it would be just as easy to just let you take some video, then when we save it onto your hard disk, and create an MPEG file, we can save it in the lowest resolution possible, because all we really want is the audio portion.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
It's FINALLY done!

Believe it or not, I finally finished the exhaust system on my '00 "R". :beer:

I ended up putting the Bassani "X" pipe on and a Spin-Tech cat-back system. (Thanks for turning me onto them Two-Tone! :thumbsup: ) The piping is all 2-1/2" and the mufflers are Super Stocks. The Spin Tech cat-back took some finagling. The original muffler inlet pipes he sent were straight and didn't work so he had to remake them for me with offsets in them.

I saved about $200.00 as compared to the Bassani cat-back system but I bought a $600.00 mig welder for a paltry $350.00. So I didn't really save any money but I do have a nice squirt gun welder now! :beer:

The original "X" pipe weighed 32# and the new Bassani is 22# The original muffler and resonator assembly weighed 24# and the tail pipes were 6# each. The new mufflers and tail pipes weigh a total of 39#. So, a total weight savings of only 7#. Hey, it's better than a sharp stick in the eye! :lol:

Here is a shot of the new system looking back from under the engine.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread