Particularly different exhaust proposal

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Hey Guys:

I was talking to Rich over at Kenny Brown today about some of the mods I'm looking into and he proposed an interesting exhaust design that I figured I'd throw out for discussion.

He suggested the Bassani "X" pipe and instead of that u-turn cat back with the side outlet just a couple of turn down pipes!:eek: I was like "GAWD, aint that loud?" He said loud is a relative term!:dw: I'm sure some shorty mufflers could be stuck under there without any trouble but it is supposed to be good for a substantial hp gain. So, I'm pondering the idea.

Any feedback you guys could throw my way would be appreciated.

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

Last edited:

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Bruce,

Obviously, it can be done. In fact, that is the basic setup I am running on my 95. Mor-Flo cat pipe and Borla cat-back. Due to the griggs, running pipes was a pain so I hacked 'em off behind the mufflers. Now, with that being said. There was a learning curve to this.

I cut the pipes and left them aimed straight back--no turndowns. My next event at Hallett I was black flagged (me?, sweet me???). Anyway, turns out I was somehow dumping fuel out the gas cap. I had just put a locking cap on for that event so I figured that was the problem. Found a stock cap--same thing. Then, I thought about what I had changed and I realized the exhaust. I was putting so much heat out the black plastic cover under the gas tank sagged a few inches down on each side and is still that way. I was heating the gas so much it was going out the fill neck and this was when I was down to 1/2 tank. I had turn-downs added that went quite a ways back and actually below the axle tube to direct that air down and away from the rear housing and tank.

There is a lot of resonating in the cabin. If it is a track-only machine I would say no big deal. If you take it on the street the noise really gets annoying. BTW, mine is a convertible so yours would be worse.

TwoToneFreak

MMMM, Spintechs!!
Established Member
Actually that is a lot like what I am running now. I have a 2-1/2" 2 cat x-pipe with no mufflers and 2-1/2" tailpipes. No interior drone and a very raspy smooth sounding exhaust, at idle it has a very nice tone to it, not loud at all in the car,and when crusing you have a little sound in the car but nothing near a flowmaster or the other brands I have run in the past, but on the highway or just getting on it around town it is so sweet sounding!! I get compliments on it all the time and it really suprises people when they find out there are no mufflers on my car. I mean I have people young and old stop me or do whatever they can to get next to me and say how nice it sounds. I will try and post a sound clip for you if I can.

Andy M

Established Member
Bruce,
If you plan on running Gwen on the street some, I would not do the downpipes. It will be waaaaay loud and as Tom mentioned, it will certainly resonate a lot more than normal.

Maybe its just me?, but I think the side pipes give the car some personal charm and an agressive stance.

Just my opinion though... if you want 'em, do it!! Then give us your impressions.

Andy M

Established Member
Originally posted by TwoToneFreak
Actually that is a lot like what I am running now. I have a 2-1/2" 2 cat x-pipe with no mufflers and 2-1/2" tailpipes. No interior drone and a very raspy smooth sounding exhaust, at idle it has a very nice tone to it, not loud at all in the car,and when crusing you have a little sound in the car but nothing near a flowmaster or the other brands I have run in the past, but on the highway or just getting on it around town it is so sweet sounding!! I get compliments on it all the time and it really suprises people when they find out there are no mufflers on my car. I mean I have people young and old stop me or do whatever they can to get next to me and say how nice it sounds. I will try and post a sound clip for you if I can.
Cool... but, on the R's, since we have a fuel cell out back, there is no room for rear exit exhaust pipes... and side exits with no mufflers or cats will be VERY LOUD!!!!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

Cobra-R

Established Member
Bruce,
I have to echo what Tom said. You will get additional heating of the fuel and possible vapor lock on hot weekends with lots of track time and minimal cooldown time.
I have turndowns on the 95 and have been living with this since I bought deans car. It is exactly as Tom described. I now keep the fuel level lower, add cool fuel between sessions, and bump up to race gas ($64 for 12 gallons at mam two weeks ago :( ) when the temps get really high, all to counteract this. It isn't that big of a deal, but why put yourself through it needlessly.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
This is why I love this site so much!:beer:

Such great input from everyone with similar or identical cars.:)

I hear you all loud and clear and I genuinely appreciate the feedback! :thumbsup:

But this horse power gain that Rich talked about (I can't remember how much he said it was and I'll be checking back with him) really has my curiosity spurred. :read: What about a custom fabbed free flowing muffler with a 45 degree tail pipe that is oval shaped or similar to what the Nascar Boys run exiting exactly where the pipes exit now? :shrug:

You know that cat-back plumbing makes me scratch my head every time I go underneath Gwen to check her out! I'm mean really, did the same guy come up with the plumbing for the cooling system also?:lol:

I'm just always thinking there could be a better way? (maybe not!)

Thanks again guys for all the great input!

Gwen will not be so meek and mild mannered next time you see her. Guaranteed!

Last edited:

venom279

Established Member
Tim B has a custom 3'' exhaust on is 2900lb beast. Tim could you give us some insight on your exhaust??

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
I just got off the phone with Rich over at Kenny Brown and he said the dyno numbers were 15 a hp increase by eliminating the redundant plumbing of the Bassani Cat-Back and utilizing down turn pipes.

I expressed the concerns from everyone here on this site and he concurred with the concensus here. He is getting me info regarding a supplier who has already done what I'm thinking of doing regarding the muffler and 45 or 60 degree pipe straight out to where it exits now.

I'll keep everyone posted!

Happy Trackin'

Andy M

Established Member
Originally posted by ac427cobra
I just got off the phone with Rich over at Kenny Brown and he said the dyno numbers were 15 a hp increase by eliminating the redundant plumbing of the Bassani Cat-Back and utilizing down turn pipes.

I expressed the concerns from everyone here on this site and he concurred with the concensus here. He is getting me info regarding a supplier who has already done what I'm thinking of doing regarding the muffler and 45 or 60 degree pipe straight out to where it exits now.

I'll keep everyone posted!

Happy Trackin'

Now that I would be interested in! Please keep us posted.

Be aware though, that if you remove the CATs, it is VERY LOUD with the side exits, especially at full throttle. If you won't be driving it on the street much or not at all, go for it. That is what Jason and Joe have done. However, since I drive mine on the street quite a bit, I will just stay with the X pipe with the CATs on it. I am definitely interested though on a better CAT-back, if available?..

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Andy:

Will do on keeping you posted Andy. No problemo there Dude!:thumbsup:

I DO plan on going with the Bassani "X" pipe WITH cats because I still will be driving on the street once in a while to cruise night and such. And we DO have to take emission tests for all of the Liberal Tree Huggers (sorry if I offend anyone here) that make us run crappy reformulated gas here :mj: :gt: :bash: Because as you know the air in Milwaukee is just SOOOOOOOOO bad:fm: Yeah right!!!!:cuss:

I'll keep you posted with this project!

LogiWorld123

Established Member
Originally posted by ac427cobra
And we DO have to take emission tests for all of the Liberal Tree Huggers (sorry if I offend anyone here) that make us run crappy reformulated gas here :mj: :gt: :bash: Because as you know the air in Milwaukee is just SOOOOOOOOO bad:fm: Yeah right!!!!:cuss:

Move to Oklahoma! Cheap housing! cheap gas! No inspections, lots of open roads. :)

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Originally posted by Scoriox
Move to Oklahoma! Cheap housing! cheap gas! No inspections, lots of open roads. :)

Matt:

IF (and that's a big if) I could get my wife to move, it would most likely be to Nevada for the same reasons you stated.

Just get me the hell away from cold and snow!!!!!

Matt Jones

Established Member
My 'R has the Basssani X-pipe with cats. Then I run the 2.5" mandrell pipe back turn it 180 degrees go through the supplied resonator and kick it out the side. No Mufflers!

It is dame loud. I love to gun it going between 2 cars and scaring the crap out of the other drivers. It is cool sounding and loud is cool when you drive it hard and not daily.

PS I thought my front end was going to fly off today. It was bouncing up and down at 110+ mph.

Andy M

Established Member
Originally posted by Matt Jones
My 'R has the Basssani X-pipe with cats. Then I run the 2.5" mandrell pipe back turn it 180 degrees go through the supplied resonator and kick it out the side. No Mufflers!

It is dame loud. I love to gun it going between 2 cars and scaring the crap out of the other drivers. It is cool sounding and loud is cool when you drive it hard and not daily.

PS I thought my front end was going to fly off today. It was bouncing up and down at 110+ mph.
Matt,

Have you not done the splitter reinforcement yet? I can put you in contact with Lucas Automotive here in Houston if you are interested? They fixed my splitter as well Jason Morman's and Joe Johnson's. And we have all been to about 150 mph at TWS with no more flapping problems.

Basically, they custom fabricated a 1/8" aluminum plate and used some aluminum L braces on 45 degree angles from outside to center and riveted everything to the bottom edge. The splitter is A LOT more stiff now and holds up under high speeds.

Matt, email me pls... concerning something else I want to discuss with you.. [email protected]

Last edited:

TwoToneFreak

MMMM, Spintechs!!
Established Member
Bruce have you checked out Spintech's site and line of oval exhaust? I saw some pretty cool turndowns and side exit systems that would be good for your application.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Originally posted by TwoToneFreak
Bruce have you checked out Spintech's site and line of oval exhaust? I saw some pretty cool turndowns and side exit systems that would be good for your application.

TwoTone:

No, I have not yet, but I certainly appreciate the tip though! I will check out their website and see what they have that I might be able to use. :beer: I will also see what Rich over at KB will come up with.

I have glanced at the project and figure I have to order and get the Bassani "X" pipe as a first step. Then (I believe) I will need to shorten the exit length on the "X" pipe some what. That will give me room for a shorty flat muffler and a 60 (?) degree bend to exit at the front of the rear wheels with a single large oval pipe.

I will keep the thread posted with updates as they become available.

TwoToneFreak

MMMM, Spintechs!!
Established Member
No problem. I had been thinking of redoing my exhaust also and this thread has really got me looking a side exit set up. Keep us posted

TimB

Established Member
I'am running a three inch exhaust and it exits at the rear of the car.It's close to the lower corners of the fuel cell but does not hit.I can take some photos of it if anyone is interested.

Tim

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Tim:

I for one would like to see it. Did you go under the IRS?:shrug:

I just stopped at my roll cage fabricators shop tonight and put the final approval on my additional door bars and should be able to pick the car up tomorrow night!:D

I have already ordered my Bassani "X" pipe from Houston Performance and have some ideas for the cat back I'm going to have to build from scratch.

Two Tone turned me onto that Spintech site and they have some real interesting stuff there. But the more I look at it the more I think I'm gonna need a flat pipe (similar to what the Nascar boys run) in case I ever decide to lower the car a little. :eek:

I'll be getting busy on it pretty soon.

Users who are viewing this thread