Parking space size too small

jaxbusa

Established Member
I’ve been noticing it for years. It seems most places have parking spaces that are too small. I just parked my Charger in a spot where I could barely get out of the driver side and my right side was very close to the line, and I’m a skinny guy. I normally just park in a non populated area and walk, but this place was crowded and there were no other options. I’m starting to understand why these “parking jerks” do what they do. I wonder if there are any standards to how spots are sized.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I’ve been noticing it for years. It seems most places have parking spaces that are too small. I just parked my Charger in a spot where I could barely get out of the driver side and my right side was very close to the line, and I’m a skinny guy. I normally just park in a non populated area and walk, but this place was crowded and there were no other options. I’m starting to understand why these “parking jerks” do what they do. I wonder if there are any standards to how spots are sized.

Handicap placard! Being in FL you can hardly find a place to park because us old farts.

Bullshitisay said, I was a catcher when I wasn't pitching.

Voltwings

Established Member
Because car sized have increased dramatically... my MID size 2017 truck is almost the same size as most mid 2000s full size trucks. Compare a Full sized Sedan built from like ... idk 2015+ to one built from 2005 or so. Cars are getting bigger.

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
LOL! Try driving a Raptor with 35/1250/17s on it. I can't park anywhere between the lines. My tires often hang over, on both sides. Hence I always hold out for a corner or end spot, or walk a long ways.

96 cobra

Established Member
I was ready to post something snarky about how massive the charger is... but excluding mirrors it's only 7" wider than a 2013 miata for example, or 2.3" more narrow than a crown vic.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Sliding doors or gull wings for all.

Bullshitisay said, I was a catcher when I wasn't pitching.

mcaligiuri

Established Member
My ram 1500 barely fits in any spots. I always worry about someone hitting the doors. Usually food in the mirrors cause it’s tight.

tistan

Established Member
Home Depot doesn't even accommodate my f-250. Then they have 20 goddamn handicap spaces in front of the entries and exits. Those ****ing spots are always empty.

quad

Established Member

Cities determine parking space sizes and these need to be complied with. Usually they are 9' x 18' but sometimes 10' x 20'. Two opposite parking spaces and a two way lane could take up 60 - 62 feet.

Handicap spaces have their own requirements.

A 10'x20' parking space is a good size and many parking lots will have smaller spaces. I have seen some malls with really good sized spaces. I was at Costco recently and they had enough space for most cars.

quad

Established Member
Home Depot doesn't even accommodate my f-250. Then they have 20 goddamn handicap spaces in front of the entries and exits. Those ****ing spots are always empty.
I usually park way off to the side at Home Depot or Lowes. The extra walk is good exercise also. Once I parked close to the contractor entrance at Home Depot and some asshole pushed a cart into the side of the car I was driving. Never again.

tistan

Established Member
I usually park way off to the side at Home Depot or Lowes. The extra walk is good exercise also. Once I parked close to the contractor entrance at Home Depot and some asshole pushed a cart into the side of the car I was driving. Never again.
I'm usually at HD loading up sheetrock or plywood, so the extra walk isn't appreciated. The other thing HD does that is annoying is put too much fall on their parking lots. The cart is always wanting to roll away.

Users who are viewing this thread