Painting home interior

Beavis281

Established Member
Air sprayers are a total nightmare mess inside. I have only used one for primer, on bare drywall. Then I would spray the ceiling's finish coat. Then Roll walls by hand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stangdriver13

Established Member
I did my whole house when I moved in like you. With the floors out I assume the base will be off as well. You will save a bunch of prep time not having to tape off the base or cover floors. You will just have to tape off your door and window trim and cover the doors and windows themselves with plastic. I'd personally go with the airless sprayer, it is super fast. If its a small room like a bathroom or tiny bedroom just roll it. I made the mistake trying to spray my master bath and that was more hassle than it was worth. You can choose to back roll if you want and its recommended if the walls don't have texture to them. Back rolling just helps provide a little texture and prevents runs which will happen when using an airless for the 1st time. Ideally you get a buddy that will follow behind you with the roller. Also for ceiling paint, a sprayer is the only way to go imo. They make way less mess than rolling a ceiling. Clean up is not bad if you use latex based paint and you are not changing color on every wall in your house. I painted my entire house including my kitchen cabinets and splitting the cost of the sprayer with my dad for 3k using Benjamin Moore paint. I asked my cousin who is a union painter how much they would charge for a house my size (2400 sq ft 2 story) and he said 9k on the low end up to 15k on the high end but likely in the 12k range. To me it was worth the 9k I saved.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
THIS! I was a painter for awhile, I have painted my own shit a LOT. Last time I painted I paid to have it done. You will get a big price break sine they don't have to worry about furniture and floors. Also use exterior semi-gloss paint. The guys that painted our interior recommended it and I was like "lol What!?!". But I let them do it and it really looks amazing. Much better than interior paint and is longer lasting and easier cleaned.

Additionally while they paint you could be doing other stuff that needs to be done.

Before you make a decision either way, get a couple of estimates for someone to come in and do it (likely with a roller). The fact that the house is bare and the flooring in removed should bring the cost down because the painter can do the work quicker. If I was in your shoes, I'd have someone else do it. I just wouldn't have the time. I don't mind doing, say, a bedroom, but a whole house? No way.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
THIS! I was a painter for awhile, I have painted my own shit a LOT. Last time I painted I paid to have it done. You will get a big price break sine they don't have to worry about furniture and floors. Also use exterior semi-gloss paint. The guys that painted our interior recommended it and I was like "lol What!?!". But I let them do it and it really looks amazing. Much better than interior paint and is longer lasting and easier cleaned.

Additionally while they paint you could be doing other stuff that needs to be done.
Sometimes "time management" plays an important role, for sure. I know that I never seem to have enough time to get many things done.

allister

Established Member
As far as speeding up the process, I'd recommend going with the best paint that your paint supplier provides as far as the paint itself goes. It will be the most expensive but you will only need 1 coat vs. 2 (saving money) and save time. Usually the mid-lower levels say they have primer in them but in my experience you still need 2 coats unless. Buy some pizza/beer, have some friends/family over and make it a party.

Pros to a paint gun is of course, it paints fast. Cons, time involved in taping everything off and then cleaning the gun itself when you're done. I hate, hate hate cleaning ours and it makes one hell of a mess, you can't really do it in the kitchen sink you gotta use a laundry tub or take it outside. If you plan on painting the whole house the same color and just need to tape of ceilings, I would do it otherwise I'd cut and roll.

Users who are viewing this thread