Painted the GT500 mufflers black to hide them under the car. **pic**

hand-filer

Established Member
Looks good. I've been meaning to do this to mine. I think this is the inspiration I needed.☝

SicShelby09

Banned
Looks good. I've been meaning to do this to mine. I think this is the inspiration I needed.☝

Thanks man. I wanted to do the entire mufflers including the tips when I first got them, but I got in a hurry and wanted to install them. I still may take them off and do the whole mufflers and tips too soon. But not on the ground. I want to put the car up and paint a bunch of other stuff under there too before the surface rust takes hold. Free mods are fun!

5.0GT

Established Member
I think it might look great, from a little distance. But I like the look of the 4" stainless steel tip.
Anyway you can go back if missed it, so it's cool to have something different.

dumbstixlars

Established Member
Looks much better. I don't like being able to see the mufflers from the rear on these cars.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I like the paint but keep the tips Chrome. Congrats

trolls56

Established Member
I was just wondering if anyone did black tips. I really dont like any chrome or polished stuff anymore.

alex12gt

Established Member
My gt500s are all black the chrome tips were getting kinda nasty so i cleaned then up and painted them as well

bam2012@TBR

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I painted my gt500's before I installed them, I really like the black mufflers of the american thunder axle backs, and wanted to keep that same clean look. I did not paint the tips and don't plan to, i like the polished look.

SicShelby09

Banned
I painted my gt500's before I installed them, I really like the black mufflers of the american thunder axle backs, and wanted to keep that same clean look. I did not paint the tips and don't plan to, i like the polished look.

Maybe I will wait on that until they get nasty like the other user said. I do like the polished tips, but semigloss black would be nice too. Like that pypes muffler delete system thats black.

sfm76msb.jpg

D.T.R

Established Member
When i get the GT500 mufflers this is FOR SURE something I will be doing to them. It annoys me seeing the resonators from behind the car.

OP your car looks great.

SicShelby09

Banned
When i get the GT500 mufflers this is FOR SURE something I will be doing to them. It annoys me seeing the resonators from behind the car.

OP your car looks great.

Thanks man. I was pretty bummed when I took of my muffler deletes and put the factory style mufflers back on. One was the added weight back on, and two was the fact that they are fat as shit and hang from the bottom. Now they are much less in your face when you look at the car from the back. Its funny because I got this idea from my old corvette C6. The factory mufflers are painted black too from the factory.......but, only where you can see from the back. When you take them out, the rest of the muffler is unpainted. Its funny, its like someone at the factory did the same thing I did. Just blast behind the tips with some spray paint so they dont stick out. LOL

1x.jpg

Last edited:

D.T.R

Established Member
hahaha someone half ass painted them at the GM factory... but hey they look fine.
I will most likely paint the entire resonator...

SicShelby09

Banned
hahaha someone half ass painted them at the GM factory... but hey they look fine.
I will most likely paint the entire resonator...

That pic above of the vette mufflers is basicly what I did to mine. Im going to take them off soon and do the whole mufflers too.

kingnut

Established Member
ive painted the mufflers on a couple of my cars. it looks so much cleaner from the back. stock mufflers on a car thats a few years old always start to look like shit. a $5 can of high temp flat black paint go along way.

sic post up more pics if you paint more stuff under the rearend/underbody.

Users who are viewing this thread