paint issue...

trip03svt

Established Member
OK...I have an '03 triple black terminator vert and I can't seem to get it clean. It seems there are water spots built into the paint! I have went over the same spots over and over again, wax it once a month and no matter what I do, the spots will not come out and it will not come to a shiny finish. :shrug: As much work as I do cleaning and detailing it, I would like to have something to show for it. WHAT DO I DO?!?!?! Help me out here guys...

Last edited:

01SN8K

In Hawaii
Established Member
+1, try clay baring the car. you may need that to cut out the blemishes and remove swirls

Screamin Cobra

Slam'd Cam'd Z06
Established Member
DeWalt Rotary buffer (DW849)
Menzerna Super Intensive Polish - Green cutting pad
Menzerna Nano Polish - Blue cutting pad
Natty's Poorboys EXP - hand/orbital

That'll make it look new again. :rockon:

Be careful because you can burn the clearcoat/paint.

SoCalCobra

Intaker & 7.5" Pistons!
Established Member
This is just a basic overview. You can get more detailed info from http://www.autogeek.net.

Step 1: Wash your car good and dry it.
Step 2: Clay bar it
Step 3: Polish it with a random orbital buffer (for beginners), or a rotary (for advanced)
Step 4: Wax it
Step 5: ???
Step 6: Profit!

Seriously, all you're doing when you wax it is putting layers of wax ON TOP of the water spots. You've got to remove the water spots by polishing your paint.

Here's some quick shots of my car and it's been over 7 months since I last polished it.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=480550

Last edited:

Ceanes

Established Member
If the water spots are etched into the paint real bad, its not gonna come out. You might be able to take it down some. Maybe the car could be wet sanded but Im not sure I would try that on a factory paint job.

Chuck

Nicky Pass

...boom goes the dynamite
Established Member
DeWalt Rotary buffer (DW849)
Menzerna Super Intensive Polish - Green cutting pad
Menzerna Nano Polish - Blue cutting pad
Natty's Poorboys EXP - hand/orbital

That'll make it look new again. :rockon:

Be careful because you can burn the clearcoat/paint.

I was gonna say....rotary = burned paint in the hands of a novice.

Go Porter Cable 7424 or 7336.

About2bite

SVTNProgress
Established Member
You could try some alcohol, if that doesn't work the clay bar and a good wash should do it, if not get a PC and some Menzerna SIP and Nano Polish and they will be gone for good, not to mention your car will be nice and shiny :coolman:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Be aware that water spots can cause permanent damage (etching) if left untouched long enough. I used to polish my Cobra's paint (including a clay bar treatment) 1-2 times a month. And that pretty much kept me safe.

Assuming you get rid of the water spots, I highly recommend a good polishing/waxing schedule. Cleaning the paint is especially important after it rains as there is acid and mineral residue in the rain drops which can cause damage.

01_OXFORD_SVT

10th Anni FTMFW
Established Member
OK...I have an '03 triple black terminator vert and I can't seem to get it clean. It seems there are water spots built into the paint! I have went over the same spots over and over again, wax it once a month and no matter what I do, the spots will not come out and it will not come to a shiny finish. :shrug: As much work as I do cleaning and detailing it, I would like to have something to show for it. WHAT DO I DO?!?!?! Help me out here guys...

Bro, I have an 03 10th Triple Black and I have the EXACT same problem.. I tried everything (even having a professional try to remove them). He came to the conclusion that they are in/under the clear. The only alternative that many people have told me is either wetsand and/or a new paintjob. Personally after looking at the results HISSMAN had after getting a repaint, Im thinking seriously about getting one.

01_OXFORD_SVT

10th Anni FTMFW
Established Member
OR..... If anyone lives close to the 757 in VA and want me to pay them to attempt to remove them.. PM me. (They must know what they are doing..)

trip03svt

Established Member
Thanks for the input guys...I've heard of the clay bar, but never tried one. Where is the best place to buy one? This is probably what I'm going to try first...

AaronK

Established Member
I doubt the clay bar will get rid of the spots but even if it doesn't, it's one of the best things for the finish on your car... make sure you wax it afterwards :beer:

About2bite

SVTNProgress
Established Member
If you do a search in the "show n shine" section of the forum you should be able to find a good thread on what works, there was one not too long ago with some great products for your application.

03dsgcobranc

Fujiwara zone
Established Member
P-41-SprRnRmvr.jpg

http://www.prowax.com/polish.shtml
or this
P-26.jpg

http://www.prowax.com/compound.shtml

Last edited:

bigdog93lx

Gallons per mile
Established Member
I had the same problem with my car. My friend owns a detailing shop and we clayed, used a rotary buffer, then a Random orbital and it took alot of the waterspots and clearcoat scratches out. I would have to say it is more the process in which you do it and not so much the products in which you use. But that IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread