Paint-Comp Orange Question

Wildpony_2

Oh Really......
Established Member
Anyone else who has purchased a Comp Orange GT or Cobra had any paint problems? I am finding little chip marks everywhere(was almost like I was behind a dumptruck spitting little rocks), and the paint is starting to PEEL, yes PEEL off my front bumper. I took it into paint shop and they "touched it up" about 5 months ago so I didn't think much of it, but more are starting to show themselves. And bumper started peeling recently.

Tried doing some searches on here about it no luck so I started my own thread.

Only had my car a year and paint is going :shrug: .

SublimeRT

'94 Slooowbraa
Established Member
I've got a lot of little tiny chips like if i went flying through some gravel also. Only had the car 7 months, 5000 miles. My old Oxford White Mach 1 I had for a year and 7,500 miles and not one single chip was on it when I traded it in. I'll try to get a pick of mine.

Wildpony_2

Oh Really......
Established Member
Just really upsetting. I have heard of a few poeple with yellow Cobras/GT's had similar issues as well. Is it the light color? Has Ford come forward saying anything like paint flaw maybe? Anyone else with soem info i would appreciate it.

I'll get on my digi cam tonight or tomorrow and see if I can't post some as well, if I can figure out how to post them here, lol.

NateV8

Established Member
My comp orange Cobra has tons of tiny chips on the front. Theres over 40 chips on it. My Cobra only has 1500 miles and I got it 2 months ago.
My zinc yellow GT has chips on it too and so does my White Escape.

Ford sucks at painting :cuss:

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
yeah, i noticed some paint flaws on this car, such as minor discolorations here and there

and also some chips on the lower front part of the hood...

but to me these are only minor difficulties -

this kickazz color is worth it in my opinion :rockon:

racebronco2

Established Member
my cobra has some little paint imperfections on the lower part of the door, fenders and 1/4 panel ...rally can't see it unless you look real close ... i haven't noticed any major areas of chips

Torch Red 10th

Established Member
I work at a Ford plant and actually painted for 5 1/2 years. The old Mustang plant in Dearborn(where our cars were painted) was notorious for being the worst plant for paint quality. When I painted we were building the Contour/Mystique or as we called them, the Detour and the Mistake. We now build the Escape/Tribute and soon we'll be getting the Mariner from the Ohio plant. I always bitched about the paint we used. Especially when we launched the Escape and I was still painting. BASF was our supplier and to cut costs they thinned the paint out A LOT. On hot nights it was like painting w/ water. I used to give the BASF reps crap by calling their paint colored thinner. It's rediculous what they expect you to do w/ that kind of paint when two people only have about 70 seconds to paint the car. We put on a ton of clear here, but it seems like the Mustangs have never gotten much clearcoat shot on them. My '98 had virtually zero clear on it. My Cobra isn't much better.

2814v

Established Member
I think red 10th hit the nail on the head. I have a comp orange SVTF and the paint is much better then the ox white on my 03 cobra. My SVTF is my daily over 20000 miles in all kinds of weather and still looks new. Cobra only driven on nice days 7000 miles and piss'es me off every time I wax it(imperfections).

dopefedz

Established Member
If its defective paint can you take it back to the dealer or something to have it fixed under warranty?

Wildpony_2

Oh Really......
Established Member
dopefedz said:
If its defective paint can you take it back to the dealer or something to have it fixed under warranty?

That is what I was wondering as well if anyone has had to do this because of their paint? Just concerned about this, if it's doing this now a little over a year old, what will happen 2+ years from now?

SublimeRT

'94 Slooowbraa
Established Member
I'm eventually (probably this summer) going to get a Cervini's Y2K Cobra R hood, take off the spoiler, shave the decklid, and Bullitt side scoops. When I have all that stuff painted I'm going to have the rocker panels repainted and maybe the front bumper. We'll see. The only place I have chips is the hood, stock side scoops, and rocker panels; the rest of the car is pretty much fine.

orange_rush

Established Member
One of my friends has a comp orange with 36,000 miles on it and the hood looks like crap. Chips all over the place, and it really shows with the white primer under there. No chips on the bumper though. I bought mine with 4600 miles in june, now I have 10500 and is starting to get the same way. I noticed there is a tag on the bumper cover just behind the chin spoiler that says "comp-orange-mustang-term-bumper" wich leads me to believe the bumpers were painted separate from the cars? Maybe this is why the hood chips and the bumper doesn't. Anyone know?

SublimeRT

'94 Slooowbraa
Established Member
Just an update. My car has tons of chips all over it now that I've been driving it everyday. This paint freaking sucks. The car looks like shit. I was washing it a while ago and paint starting flying off the front bumper. I'm going to take it in pretty soon and try to get Ford to repaint as much of the car as possible. Really pisses me off when we buy Ford's cream of the crop Mustang and the build quality suggests it was built by a bunch of monkeys. :cuss:

Users who are viewing this thread