Paid off now the decision!!

Darkc0bra

....Pass
Established Member
My Cobra is finally paid off and she is all mine. Now I have decisions to make. I have been working on it since the day I got it 4 years ago with 16k Miles on it and 100% Stock. Now she has a lot more power and a lot of work put into her and still N/A with 63k Miles on the clock, and all mods in the sig :rockon:

Here is where my decision comes into play. I really want to start racing again and I can't decide of if I want to go full Drag or Road course/Auto-X. We have a drag strip here so it is easy to get a lot of drag racing in and be competitive. Auto-X take a good hour to get to and Road course even further. So I have been pulling closer to Drag lately. Now my decision is....should I be different and build my IRS and just go straight to SRA. Either way it will be fun and I do take it out on trips every once in awhile which is leading me towards building the IRS. I do have a couple people that want my IRS so that is always an option to go SRA.

So let's discuss this!! Here is a photo of the fully paid off beaut and a video of a untuned Monster being unleashed after I did my motor/cam work.

ENJOY :beer: :rockon:

Clean_zps5412d557.jpg

th_IMG_5443_zps7add2532.jpg

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
I love my IRS with FTBR bushings. Unless you are going full drag, I would stick with building your IRS. Maybe swap in an 03 IRS?

Darkc0bra

....Pass
Established Member
I love my IRS with FTBR bushings. Unless you are going full drag, I would stick with building your IRS. Maybe swap in an 03 IRS?

I have debated that if I can find one close enough. Buy an 03/04 IRS and build it while it is out. This is really what I have been thinking about and getting a decent tire to go with it.

SRA with 4.56's FTW!!!

I have a Solid in the work if I really want it. Cheap too if I really want it :rockon:

Stick axles are for GTs and Fox Mustangs. Keep the IRS.

And all other Mustangs and Cobras except our year cobras :beer:

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Drive a short distance wait several hours to get in one run that lasts less than 15 seconds. Drive an hour to auto cross and get in four runs that last less then a minute and a half each. Drive a longer distance to a road course and get 4 or more 20 minute sessions per day.

I started out autoxing but the amount of waiting for a few short runs just made it seem like a long day for very little return. Open tracking was the best fit for me, my wife called them mini vacations. The party atmosphere Saturday night is a bonus after a long hot day driving in anger. Beer never tastes so good as it does on a Saturday night after road racing all day!

I'm running a 99 based IRS in both my cars and neither have failed yet. The bushings are the main problem, install them and an 03 cobra front pumpkin brace and the IRS will be track ready. I eat up stick axle cars in the tight sections and if I over drive the corner a few steering inputs and a lift off the throttle and the car comes back into shape.

Last edited:

Darkc0bra

....Pass
Established Member
Drive a short distance wait several hours to get in one run that lasts less than 15 seconds. Drive an hour to auto cross and get in four runs that last less then a minute and a half each. Drive a longer distance to a road course and get 4 or more 20 minute sessions per day.

I started out autoxing but the amount of waiting for a few short runs just made it seem like a long day for very little return. Open tracking was the best fit for me, my wife called them mini vacations. The party atmosphere Saturday night is a bonus after a long hot day driving in anger. Beer never tastes so good as it does on a Saturday night after road racing all day!

I'm running a 99 based IRS in both my cars and neither have failed yet. The bushings are the main problem, install them and an 03 cobra front pumpkin brace and the IRS will be track ready. I eat up stick axle cars in the tight sections and if I over drive the corner a few steering inputs and a lift off the throttle and the car comes back into shape.

I auto-x'ed for almost 2 whole seasons with my Cobra and I enjoyed it to the fullest. That is a good idea to be honest!!! It would be nice to have those "Mini Vacations". I would have to redo my K member again. I have a weak UPR Drag K member under there right now. Not to do for corners and very very sloppy up front unlike what it use to be. My IRS is already braced up front and on cover. Just needs bushings but would going to 03/04 Half shafts be a wise idea as well?

Now that it is paid for I can really do what ever I please, that is the best part.

Last edited:

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Stock half shafts are fine for open tracking and road racing.

Sudden shock loads (wheel hop) kill half shafts.

CJK440

Established Member
First thing you should spend your money on is entry to participate in both events then decide.

........and when you go to the strip, look under the quick 79-04 Mustangs and see which ones have an IRS.

Darkc0bra

....Pass
Established Member
First thing you should spend your money on is entry to participate in both events then decide.

........and when you go to the strip, look under the quick 79-04 Mustangs and see which ones have an IRS.

We have a low 10 second 04 Cobra With IRS and he is looking for high 9's this year :rockon:

CJK440

Established Member
We have a low 10 second 04 Cobra With IRS and he is looking for high 9's this year :rockon:

No doubt, but would he be chasing 8's if he didn't rise to the challenge of improving that irs?

I know people like to do that. Go fast with something that wasn't meant to do it. I used to race stock appearing and ran mid 11's thru 70's vintage iron intake, heads and manifolds on reproduction bias ply tires. I get it, but for the money invested to do it, I could have been running seconds faster.

Last edited:

Darkc0bra

....Pass
Established Member
He want to auto this last year and all his wheel hop is gone. Auto's are just great and are just plain softer on parts. He went to go get a new tune and dyno one day and blew his motor a couple months ago. So his quest for 9's got shut down from the motor not the IRS. Ironically he is a friend of mine and lives 3 blocks down the road. hopefully we will get around to putting it back together someday soon.

I still have time to think this all over. I just want to look towards something fun. I have even thought about picking up a fox for cheap and building another one of those. Fast for cheap!

Users who are viewing this thread