Ozark International Raceway

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
It was a fun weekend. I didn't get to run as much as I had hoped. I'm not notoriously hard on tires...but this track had me killing my left side tires. I went through a set yesterday...rotated side to side...and still killed them. This morning I put on a fresh set in hopes of setting a fast lap. I went down another 2psi on the left side in order to keep them in operating range for an extra lap or so, well I ended up slipping the bead after a lap and a half of warming up... maybe 1psi would've been a better start.

Well, on to the track. The track is perfect. the garage area is excellent. Clean bathrooms, showers, plenty of room. Each garage has a garage spot and a flat next to it available for use. There was plenty of room for my truck and trailer, as their parking lot is set up for semis. Being brand new, everything is in impeccable condition.

The corner worker stations all have excellent vantage positions before/after the hill they're on. The electronic flag panels are easy to see and spot immediately. I can't say enough about how it's all set up.

There are so many blind corners and crests, it would definitely be taunting for someone the first time out wanting to go fast. I was very pleased with how the simulator prepared me for that aspect of it. The off camber turns are wild. Turn 1 is off camber, downhill and stays off camber until you hit the valley. Turn 5 is the same way, down a larger hill then feels like you're blasting off towards the moon, but in reality you're about to go through the essess. I was too eager for them and oftentimes found myself turning in too early for the first one. The trick is to wait until you see the very last corner of the right side curbing then turn in and it'll keep you pretty straight through the rest.

In to the roller coaster section. Definitely took me a few times through to want to be flat, the elevation change is incredible and you just feel weightless. The corner worker said my suspension was completely unloaded but all tires stayed on the ground. In the video you can hear my foot back and forth on the gas, my belt wasn't tight enough to hold me down in my seat so my whole body was moving a little.

Turn 7 I just took super slow. 8 was better on laps I didn't hit traffic. 10 is a super fast corner, that I never got comfortable with. 11-14 I did decent, but could carry a lot more speed.

The main 'straight' is terrifying. The wall is soooo close to you, and I wasn't near close enough haha I was about a car too far to the left. Definitely looking forward to going again.

This was my fastest lap. I think with another time or two on it, I can churn out a 2:26-2:28. Overall I was super happy with a 2:33 as it's the fastest lap I've seen posted with the exception of open wheel cars.

Last edited:

IA Shelby

Established Member
Goose 17 just raced at ozark last week. I expect he will chime in With his lap times. Curious to see how they compare. Granted you are rowing the gears as compared to his DCT.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Goose 17 just raced at ozark last week. I expect he will chime in With his lap times. Curious to see how they compare. Granted you are rowing the gears as compared to his DCT.

Fastest GT500 there this weekend was a 2:56. Interested to see what @Goose17 ran too!

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Further break down.

T1. I used a 7 brake pedal instead of a 5. Could carry another 9-11mph through it, allowing me to track out further. There's plenty of room to hustle the car back to the left to set up for T2.

T2. I used a 5 brake pedal instead of a 2. Same as T1. Could definitely carry more speed up the hill and let the banking and uphill help scrub some speed, again plenty of room to hustle right and set up for T3.

T3. Definitely could be faster, but my line was just where I had planned.

T4. I needed to be another half car to the left and hold it there longer. I early apexed which messed me up/slowed me down for T5.

T5. Downhill off camber, aka scary. Coming out of T4 too tightly didn't allow me a straight run at 5. If I would've held right longer, I could've straightened this out and made it faster.

T6. Entry was good, should've broke a little later. I turned in to the first of the esses early. I should have waited until I could glimpse the last corner of the curbing on the right and it would've been a straight shot through the rest and MUCH faster. The previous lap was overall slower, but I was .5 seconds faster through the esses.

T7. I came in too slow, coming out of T6, my rpms were down too low for 4th, but there wasn't a good spot to downshift to 3rd. Just slow.

T8. Down to the roller coaster. This is a straight line. Driving it, it looks anything but straight. But by curbing on the left then on the right, it's a straight shot from T8 to the turn in on T9. I needed to tighten the harness even more to hold me down, as the second hill I was weightless and my foot lifted.

T9. I could carry 5-7mph fairly comfortably, stay on the throttle to use the whole track and hang far left. Since I didn't get all the way left, I was setting myself up to pinch T10 and not carry enough speed.

T10. I pinched T10 and overslowed. Probably lost 8-12mph by doing so. I left A LOT of track out there that I didn't touch. Next time I plan on a slightly earlier apex, using all of the curbing and sticking the throttle hard. I should be at 145mph or so coming into T11.

T11. Overslowed with the lap traffic. Like a bitch I knew it would be a hard pass to get done before T12, so I slowed down, knowing I would pass coming out of T12. Cost me a lot of time.

T12. Early apexed. Wasn't sure if he was going to let me have the racer's line (right outside) or if he would stay wide and let me cut underneath. I had him by about 300hp so I knew I could make either one work.

T13. Really weird corner. It's a fast sweeper, but goes off camber at the top of the hill and feels like you're going to drive off into the trees. I early apexed like a bitch and was able to stay on a decent 'safe' line..but costing me lots of speed. It kinda looks like a double apex.

T14. Super tight turn. Should've stay further left and made it more rounded, I opted for the point and shoot method. Produced some understeer which snapped to oversteer. After watching it through a few times, another car width to the left and a turn in would've been faster.

T15. I think I can take this flat, or near flat. Just depends on when I can grow a pair.

T16. Quick guesstimate, if I took T15 near flat I'd be about 130-133 coming down to the braking zone. A 3/4 brake pedal tap and a turn in using the camber and uphill to scrub speed would've been a better bet and resulted in carrying more speed. Rather than bottoming out at 89mph, it would've been closer to 100mph and pushed me further left on the track which would've been perfect. I could've throttle steered my way to the cone over the hill and set up for T17 perfectly.

T17. I had a pretty good entry here. Held right a while. Turned in a couple feet early, but it was close enough for a decent angle. The release here is where I had issues. I wanted to release and stay center track. I don't want to run into the pit entry lane (super bumper), but I need to straddle the pavement seam between the outside and inner lane. I'm in the middle of the inner lane. The wall just feels so close right there.

T18. By not starting out wide enough, I pinched the apex and had to scrub too much speed before hitting T19.

T19. I missed the apex completely. Was too far wide and didn't have enough speed to carry me out track right so in order to set up for T1 I was about a car width and a half too far inside. Kinda moot as the next lap was a cool down, but still.

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
It was a fun weekend. I didn't get to run as much as I had hoped. I'm not notoriously hard on tires...but this track had me killing my left side tires. I went through a set yesterday...rotated side to side...and still killed them. This morning I put on a fresh set in hopes of setting a fast lap. I went down another 2psi on the left side in order to keep them in operating range for an extra lap or so, well I ended up slipping the bead after a lap and a half of warming up... maybe 1psi would've been a better start.

Well, on to the track. The track is perfect. the garage area is excellent. Clean bathrooms, showers, plenty of room. Each garage has a garage spot and a flat next to it available for use. There was plenty of room for my truck and trailer, as their parking lot is set up for semis. Being brand new, everything is in impeccable condition.

The corner worker stations all have excellent vantage positions before/after the hill they're on. The electronic flag panels are easy to see and spot immediately. I can't say enough about how it's all set up.

There are so many blind corners and crests, it would definitely be taunting for someone the first time out wanting to go fast. I was very pleased with how the simulator prepared me for that aspect of it. The off camber turns are wild. Turn 1 is off camber, downhill and stays off camber until you hit the valley. Turn 5 is the same way, down a larger hill then feels like you're blasting off towards the moon, but in reality you're about to go through the essess. I was too eager for them and oftentimes found myself turning in too early for the first one. The trick is to wait until you see the very last corner of the right side curbing then turn in and it'll keep you pretty straight through the rest.

In to the roller coaster section. Definitely took me a few times through to want to be flat, the elevation change is incredible and you just feel weightless. The corner worker said my suspension was completely unloaded but all tires stayed on the ground. In the video you can hear my foot back and forth on the gas, my belt wasn't tight enough to hold me down in my seat so my whole body was moving a little.

Turn 7 I just took super slow. 8 was better on laps I didn't hit traffic. 10 is a super fast corner, that I never got comfortable with. 11-14 I did decent, but could carry a lot more speed.

The main 'straight' is terrifying. The wall is soooo close to you, and I wasn't near close enough haha I was about a car too far to the left. Definitely looking forward to going again.

This was my fastest lap. I think with another time or two on it, I can churn out a 2:26-2:28. Overall I was super happy with a 2:33 as it's the fastest lap I've seen posted with the exception of open wheel cars.

Fastest GT500 there this weekend was a 2:56. Interested to see what @Goose17 ran too!
That is bad ASS! Is this a Viper ACR? Curious what the power and weight are? OIR is absolutely NUTS! I ran 2 days there with Chin a couple weeks ago. After a crap ton of editing, my day 1 video will be out later today. My 4100 lb beast turned out the 2nd quickest lap of the weekend of 2:46, second only to a body in white (non VIN) built track Mustang that weighed 1000 lbs less than me.

This track is not for the faint of heart. We lost a few cars that weekend, including a 2020+ GT500 that met a barrier.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That is bad ASS! Is this a Viper ACR? Curious what the power and weight are? OIR is absolutely NUTS! I ran 2 days there with Chin a couple weeks ago. After a crap ton of editing, my day 1 video will be out later today. My 4100 lb beast turned out the 2nd quickest lap of the weekend of 2:46, second only to a body in white (non VIN) built track Mustang that weighed 1000 lbs less than me.

This track is not for the faint of heart. We lost a few cars that weekend, including a 2020+ GT500 that met a barrier.

No, it's a Competition Coupe. It's about 1000lbs less than you and down probably 40rwhp.

We lost 2 vehicles last weekend as well. The thing is, it's not really any more dangerous than any other track...I think it's just been so long since people had to learn a new track that it's daunting.

I've been in talks with a few guys in the TransAm series, trying to get them to run an event down there in 2024.

Have you ever had an issue blowing fuse #34 after being on track?

Last edited:

Goose17

Established Member
No, it's a Competition Coupe. It's about 1000lbs less than you and down probably 40rwhp.

We lost 2 vehicles last weekend as well. The thing is, it's not really any more dangerous than any other track...I think it's just been so long since people had to learn a new track that it's daunting.

I've been in talks with a few guys in the TransAm series, trying to get them to run an event down there in 2024.

Have you ever had an issue blowing fuse #34 after being on track?
Haven’t blown any fuses yet.

Competition coupe is a Viper?

As for OIR not being any more dangerous, I disagree with you there. I have 2 local tracks to me… both are very forgiving. There isn’t much to hit going off track with a few exceptions. Ozarks is lined with walls and barriers with very little/few runoff areas. There are a bunch, and I mean a bunch of blind hills with turns and many of those turns are off camber. The track is long as well (4 miles). It’s easy for newbies to forget where they are on the track. OIR is at the top of my “holy-shit” list. I have run COTA many times, which is also crazy (for different reasons), but COTA is waaaaay more forgiving than OIR. Ozarks is simply an amazing experience though. I will go back. It’s just not for the faint of heart and I would not recommend it for someone’s first track day.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Haven’t blown any fuses yet.

Competition coupe is a Viper?

As for OIR not being any more dangerous, I disagree with you there. I have 2 local tracks to me… both are very forgiving. There isn’t much to hit going off track with a few exceptions. Ozarks is lined with walls and barriers with very little/few runoff areas. There are a bunch, and I mean a bunch of blind hills with turns and many of those turns are off camber. The track is long as well (4 miles). It’s easy for newbies to forget where they are on the track. OIR is at the top of my “holy-shit” list. I have run COTA many times, which is also crazy (for different reasons), but COTA is waaaaay more forgiving than OIR. Ozarks is simply an amazing experience though. I will go back. It’s just not for the faint of heart and I would not recommend it for someone’s first track day.

Yeah, they made them from 2003-2009 or so, with a total produced of 127. Factory built racecar. Very similar to Ford's Boss 302S, etc. Here's the registry for all of them: Viper Registry

I mean, I agree that there's more to think about...but I don't think it's any worse off than other tracks I've been too. Yes, there are more walls. I don't really plan on getting in the grass/gravel pits at any track though haha

The off camber turns are scary, but you just have to respect them and no not to add throttle too soon. We had 30 people out there this last weekend. Two guys wrecked, they were both pretty experienced. The one said he was trying to catch me, the other guy got on the gas way too early in 7 and overcorrected when he got oversteer. I've seen a lot more wrecks at Heartland, Hastings, High Plains and we even had two accidents at Kansas Speedway last month.

You'll have to let me know next time you go to OIR, would love to meet you there.

Attachments

• IMG-6298.JPG
    IMG-6298.JPG
    151.8 KB · Views: 48

sleek98

Established Member
My lake lot is about 10 mins from the race track. I am hoping to go watch some trackdays/races when we get our place built down there.

Goose17

Established Member
Yeah, they made them from 2003-2009 or so, with a total produced of 127. Factory built racecar. Very similar to Ford's Boss 302S, etc. Here's the registry for all of them: Viper Registry

I mean, I agree that there's more to think about...but I don't think it's any worse off than other tracks I've been too. Yes, there are more walls. I don't really plan on getting in the grass/gravel pits at any track though haha

The off camber turns are scary, but you just have to respect them and no not to add throttle too soon. We had 30 people out there this last weekend. Two guys wrecked, they were both pretty experienced. The one said he was trying to catch me, the other guy got on the gas way too early in 7 and overcorrected when he got oversteer. I've seen a lot more wrecks at Heartland, Hastings, High Plains and we even had two accidents at Kansas Speedway last month.

You'll have to let me know next time you go to OIR, would love to meet you there.
That car is simply bad ass! My next planned trip to OIR will be Shelbyfest next May… it will most likely be May 5th, but no official dates have been released for ‘23.

The off camber turns get more challenging with added weight. If you had another 1000 lbs on your ride, those off camber downhill turns would increase the pucker factor. I’m running a full weight street car. It’s extremely track capable, but it’s no stripped down low-slung dedicated track machine. I was chasing such a car all weekend. He and I were the fastest two. He had better lap times than I did, but there were sections of the track where I had a faster pace. We had fun playing together.

The track is crazy. The track is fun AF. I will be back!

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
My lake lot is about 10 mins from the race track. I am hoping to go watch some trackdays/races when we get our place built down there.

My parents have a house down there about 20 minutes away. It's right outside Sunrise Beach.

That car is simply bad ass! My next planned trip to OIR will be Shelbyfest next May… it will most likely be May 5th, but no official dates have been released for ‘23.

The off camber turns get more challenging with added weight. If you had another 1000 lbs on your ride, those off camber downhill turns would increase the pucker factor. I’m running a full weight street car. It’s extremely track capable, but it’s no stripped down low-slung dedicated track machine. I was chasing such a car all weekend. He and I were the fastest two. He had better lap times than I did, but there were sections of the track where I had a faster pace. We had fun playing together.

The track is crazy. The track is fun AF. I will be back!

Looking forward to seeing your video when you post up! Can you include one with speeds, please?

Users who are viewing this thread