Oxford white owners……

Silver95

Established Member
Have any of you been successful to remove the yellowing of trim parts such as side skirts, air vents and other painted plastic trim that tends to go a little yellow on OW cars?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LS WUT

Established Member
I used a 2 step polish by meguires to get a bit of that stuff out. It happened more on my side scoops than anything. Which was rather odd to me. However my car tends to be garage kept, and under a cover a vast majority of it’s life. I’d start small maybe a 1 step compound to try and bring it back to life.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
A detailing service can do that for you. If you ever do a paint correction, you could have the shop clean/detail the exterior trim. Or you could do this yourself if you want to tackle it. There are a few recent threads that address do-it-yourself detailing. There are instructional YT videos available, too.

Silver95

Established Member
I do detailing myself as a hobby and have most of the equipment to do it. I’m just wondering IF there is a possibility of calming the yellowing down

03' White Snake

Established Member
I’ve compounded, many different polishes and no not able to get rid of the yellowing. Shows up worse on plastic parts than metal. Side scoops and rear bumper are the worst on my car. My car is always garage kept and it still happens.

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
Can’t tell if you’re pulling my leg or being serious haha. Todd has detailed the pajamas off his OW. He even did the undercarriage.
I was being serious. Mine is very low miles and hasn’t slept outside since maybe the transport from Ford when new so the yellowing is minimal, but I would like to prevent it if that were possible. I always thought it was just the paint on those pieces thinning and revealing the primer or plastic color underneath.

Silver95

Established Member
I think it happens from time. It doesn’t have anything to do with it being in the sun and turning a shade. I wonder if wet sanding would do anything.

LS WUT

Established Member
I think it happens from time. It doesn’t have anything to do with it being in the sun and turning a shade. I wonder if wet sanding would do anything.

I’d try a single stage, then go to 2 step before wet sanding. Unless you’re very steady hand. I still get nervous wet sanding and I’ve been doing it for ages

Silver95

Established Member
I’d try a single stage, then go to 2 step before wet sanding. Unless you’re very steady hand. I still get nervous wet sanding and I’ve been doing it for ages

Yeah I’d like not to do it at all to be honest. It’s just a question if machine polishing will make a dent.

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
I really feel like only a repaint will fix the issue. I think the thin or thinning paint on the plastic causes the issues. Over time the inner yellow panel bleeds through.

Silver95

Established Member
I really feel like only a repaint will fix the issue. I think the thin or thinning paint on the plastic causes the issues. Over time the inner yellow panel bleeds through.

I heard it’s also the chemicals the use. Some form of flex agent that adheres to urethane pieces like the scoops and the rocker covers.

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
I heard it’s also the chemicals the use. Some form of flex agent that adheres to urethane pieces like the scoops and the rocker covers.

I am sure it drives us owners crazy, but I’d say leave it. It’s part of the car and is what it is. It seems all OW cars have this issue, so it’s unique to those cars.

NAPERCOBRA

Established Member
I bought a terminator in white w/25k on the odo a few years ago and the side skirts, side louvers were all yellow and the only way to get rid of it was to repaint it. What was weird was when I would open my trunk the part were the trunk covered the bumper was also yellow. I didn’t repaint that since you could not see it.

Silver95

Established Member
I bought a terminator in white w/25k on the odo a few years ago and the side skirts, side louvers were all yellow and the only way to get rid of it was to repaint it. What was weird was when I would open my trunk the part were the trunk covered the bumper was also yellow. I didn’t repaint that since you could not see it.

Your post is direct proof that it has nothing to do with UV. That part under the trunk NEVER sees the light of day. Barely sees water when you’re washing it probably

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member

Do you still have the car?
Your post is direct proof that it has nothing to do with UV. That part under the trunk NEVER sees the light of day. Barely sees water when you’re washing it probably

Yeah it’s not UV related because mine is barely ever driven and never left outside. I really think it’s a chemical breakdown or reaction that occurs over time on the material.

Silver95

Established Member
Do you still have the car?

Yeah it’s not UV related because mine is barely ever driven and never left outside. I really think it’s a chemical breakdown or reaction that occurs over time on the material.

And repaint may just cause more issues.

Users who are viewing this thread