Out ran a 14 5.0 in my old as dirt, obsolete Terminator

Status
Not open for further replies.

01bluesnake

Established Member
Im still confused why people are comparing mods for a factory supercharged car vs a car that comes N/A stock. You wont get the same bang for the buck when talking small numbers. If you want to go over 5K, then its a toss up of parts that get picked for either. At that range a blower setup can be installed on the 5.0, and a upgraded blower on the termi which can sit them both in the 650+whp range.

OneSlowV

Established Member
It's sad that most cobra and 5.0 guys do nothing but fight with each other way to go. Who cares what the car cost. At the end of the day you will pick witch car you like and that's that. Both are great cars so why fight.

01bluesnake

Established Member
It's sad that most cobra and 5.0 guys do nothing but fight with each other way to go. Who cares what the car cost. At the end of the day you will pick witch car you like and that's that. Both are great cars so why fight.

This^

Each has their pro and con's, but each is bad ass in its self. The technology that has come forward in 10 years in awesome. What the cobra needed a blower to do, they now make more with a GT platform on motor. The cobra's have brute power with bolts on though, and are distinct and not mass produced like the GT. I will say nothing will ever come close to the exhaust note the 4.6 DOHC has, pure :rockon:

Last edited:
I get tired of mopping the roads with 5.0s. They take off quick and make you sweat a little...but when you're going +120 in a ported Termi....you almost want to shed a tear for the 5.0 guy...

01bluesnake

Established Member
WTF are you talking about?? try reading what i wrote again, and i was actually born in 81' dick

Ah, i see you delete the comment now. Nice making assumptions at me.

Last edited:

01bluesnake

Established Member
I get tired of mopping the roads with 5.0s. They take off quick and make you sweat a little...but when you're going +120 in a ported Termi....you almost want to shed a tear for the 5.0 guy...

You just haven't ran across the right bolt on 5.0 :poke: ive run one of the members on here who makes 530whp on his ported eaton and gave him a damn good run for the money. He '60 me which gave him the advantage, but stuck at his back quarter and was creeping through the 1/4. I need to do a roll with him, but have a feeling it will be damn close.

Here was one vid when we ran. Also clocks were messed up possibly because of strong head winds. He won, but showed i did and mph was way down on both cars.

[youtube_browser]qlfYQCls-Z0[/youtube_browser]

Last edited:

OneSlowV

Established Member
The cobra's are just like the Fbody ls1's more than enough car to take out a 5.0.

V6&V8SHO

Established Member
You just haven't ran across the right bolt on 5.0 :poke: ive run one of the members on here who makes 530whp on his ported eaton and gave him a damn good run for the money. He '60 me which gave him the advantage, but stuck at his back quarter and was creeping through the 1/4. I need to do a roll with him, but have a feeling it will be damn close.

Bear in mind that was a hot lap run. Fade was evident. We confirm on Sunday w go pro.

In addition power to weight ratio. My stock k, IRS, 18in wheel and tire combo at the track needs all of that 500+ just to make the rear even squat lol. You lift the damn tire in the 60ft sometimes.

Last edited:

blackvette101

Established Member
Nobody knows at this point. I certainly don't know what makes you think a GT500 is "limited" in YOUR words. They made 5,600 2004 Terminator and almost 11,000 2007 GT500s. Nothing limited about that. Anyway, as previously said, no way to know who is right at this point. I will keep my money right where it is. You go out and get you a GT500 and we'll see I guess.

a GT500 is a mustang on average they represent less then 10% of mustangs made per year. thats limited production.

V6&V8SHO

Established Member
And Eaton cars don't have top end. Maybe stock blower cars. Port and pulley stuffs it all down low. 5.0 in my opinion is the top end car.

70Maverick

Established Member
a GT500 is a mustang on average they represent less then 10% of mustangs made per year. thats limited production.

Thanks for defining that. So if I was to say that V6 Automatic Convertible cars with cloth interior are less than 3% of production, that would also be a limited production by your standards, correct?

TexasStang4585

Snake eater
Established Member
that's very true except literally nothing on the car can handle 900-1000 rwhp reliably.

That base head unit won't flow enough need a ysi $3k
Going to need at least an 8 rib upgrade $700
to fuel that much power on E85 going to need ID2000's $1900
That 6r80 is going to need a new shaft and cluthes $2500
getting rid of 2 pc driveshaft with loop $900
really it needs a 9'' but lets say you go cheap and reinforce the 8.8 $2500
upgrading the cooling to cooling system to cool 1000 rwhp $1k

theres dozens more little things that add up this is just off the top of my head.

not to mention suspension and braking needs serious mods to handle that power and that's assuming your rebuilding your engine yourself and going cheap and reusing your stock intake manifold, heads, cam and i don't know why anyone on a big power build would. realistically to do the job right 100% it's probably 25-30k on top of a base mustang. still not bad for 900-1000 rwhp but it's not as easy as it seems.

I agree with you on some off the thing's here but do a little research on the 5.0 platform and the limits of the mod's you speak of......

Beefcake and JPC both put 1000rwhp down with basically the same set-up I have now but on a built motor. The 2200 will flow well enough to put 900-1000rwhp....I'd agree on the 8 rib set-up but those go for $650 from Beef, the upgraded clutches are $600 and wanna say $400 for the input shaft upgrade. Your about right on the driveshaft/loop $900....what is that $2500 or so.

MMR build's shortblock's for us at a decent price and can be shipped for $4500 after some small add on's. The heads/cams are pretty good on the 5.0's so I don't see myself seeing that as an issue. The Axle upgrade is a plus but not all that needed since I'm auto and doesn't take the abuse a stick car provides. Anyway I'm sure for another 10k I can get to where I want to be even with those odd end expenses.

!!!PainTrain!!!

Mattis for POTUS
Established Member
What is all the hate about, seriously? I've read all pages of this thread and still don't understand where the bitterness comes from.

From my experience, I've never been around a more cocky person than an 03/04 Cobra owner. Rightfully so, those cars were incredible for their time and as far as I'm concerned, their relevance now is a testament to how important they were for the domestic car industry as a whole.

The 5.0 seems to be a strong runner and stock for stock, a drivers race from everything I've seen. Of course it's a "better" overall car than the Cobra because of interior, technology, handling, etc.

Ultimately it's in the eye of the beholder as to which one is the best car. Bang for buck, performance vs price, collectibility vs rarity or any other method for comparison is completely subjective. After the car is removed from being stock it's fair game. The only limitation at that point is money, time and an understanding significant other lol. Comparing Original MSRP vs inflation vs market vs KBB or anything else is moot. Taken in a vacuum the real comparison is mod stage vs mod stage on both cars. Basics vs basics, bolt ons vs bolt ons, power adders vs power adders and so on.

To me personally, the best bang for the buck is the GT500. 9.7s in a bolt on car for under 70k, from the USA of all places is pretty damn impressive.

I can't help but think to myself how closely this resembles 2001-2004 when LS1 was untouchable and all the, at the time, new Cobra guys were forming lines around the block to trash any LS1 they could find.

Poppacapp

Established Member
What is all the hate about, seriously? I've read all pages of this thread and still don't understand where the bitterness comes from.

Because everyone wants their particular car to be "top dog" whether it is Termi, 5.0, or GT500...

GT500's are nothing more than a modern day Termi. BUT... they are > *

:rockon:

da5deuce

heatsoaked
Established Member
I LITERALLY never get tired of these threads lmfao. Its the SAME ARGUMENT everytime but we all take the time out of our lives to out our .02 in every single time.

Posted via Topify using Android

!!!PainTrain!!!

Mattis for POTUS
Established Member
Because everyone wants their particular car to be "top dog" whether it is Termi, 5.0, or GT500...

GT500's are nothing more than a modern day Termi. BUT... they are > *

:rockon:

Maybe I'm just goofy but how high my speedometer goes had no bearing on my purchase lol. I don't care if I get walked by a mini van, I'm driving the car I've always wanted to own:beer:

Poppacapp

Established Member
I LITERALLY never get tired of these threads lmfao. Its the SAME ARGUMENT everytime but we all take the time out of our lives to out our .02 in every single time.

Posted via Topify using Android

Yeah but if we didn't have things to argue about on here, it would be boring. :lol1:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread