ordering new clutch, quick question

SonicBeast

Established Member
im ordering a mcloed rst twin disk and im going to resurface my flywheel. i have the stock steel flywheel laying around and also the one thats mated to the spec stage 3 thats in the car. my question is which one would you guys have resurfaced and put in with the RST. also i was wondering if i go with the 26 spline input shaft about how much extra labor do you think that will add on at a shop? i really want to do it when i do the clutch and i think i can pony up the $350 for the part but if its going to be an extra 2-3 hours of install time idk if i can do it yet. let me know what u guy think. wanna order asap

supraman1990

Established Member
My opinion is dont waste your time on the rst, or a 10 spline. If your going to do the job go abead and get the rxt as their are guys on the rst here that have had a lot of issue due to the weight of the car. Also, if you go 10 spline that will for sure be your weak link. Save some money and do it right the first time, because if you have to go back in for any reason it will cost more than just taking the hit the first time

SuperSnake87

Established Member
How did you like your Spec Stage 3? I'm looking to upgrade my stock clutch to a Spec 2+ or a Spec 3, I'm on the stock blower and don't expect to upgrade for awhile until I can afford a full TVS kit and fuel system.

SonicBeast

Established Member
The spec was terrible for me, maybe it was nice earlier in its life but when I bought it made a loud shriek taking off in 1st which I read a few others had a problem with. Drive ability wasn't bad but idk it just crapped out on me and I don't even beat on it. I've heard better things about the 3+ I would recommend looking into that.
As for the not wasting my time on an rst, I haven't read anything bad about them. Anyone else think a 26spline rst isn't capable of holding 500-550? I won't be going twin screw for a long time if ever. I was recommended the centerforce dual friction by a well known local shop but I've been reading those aren't good to handle any track time at my power level. Mines 99% street driven, never been tracked but I want to feel ok going once or twice a year. I've never trusted the spec enough to go.

Last edited:

cobracide

Established Member
RST is fine on the street, had mine for a couple years now. Fully capable of handling the power. Just stay away from drag launches. Go 26 spline, see sig for additional drivetrain strengthening mods.

707svt

Venom Feeder
Established Member
the cobra fly wheel is not re-surf sable. I have the 26 spline spec 3+

with this fly wheel.

Fidanza 96-04 Mustang Aluminum Flywheel (8 Bolt Crank) - Fidanza - Flywheels - Transmission - 03-04 SVT Cobra

You are wrong mine is resurfaced and is the best option because its the only Fly you can use unless you get the matching one for the mecloud. OP you can also send ur stk fly to mcloud and get a new face plate for $125 FYI if you didnt know they are the ones who made the stk setup for 03/04 cobras. Like others said dnt get the RST you will kill this clutch get the RXT call Mcloed and they will tell you why. I have my RXT on my 10spline and no problems even with track passes

SonicBeast

Established Member
Yea I decided I'm def doing 26 spline, kind of disappointed to hear they're not good for a few launches here and there for how much they cost. The rxt is just so expensive by the time u get everything else you need

cobracide

Established Member
Yea I decided I'm def doing 26 spline, kind of disappointed to hear they're not good for a few launches here and there for how much they cost. The rxt is just so expensive by the time u get everything else you need

A hard launch is fine. Dumping it at five grand, the RST won't last long where as the RXT will keep on going.

SonicBeast

Established Member
And I'm thinking I'd rather have the stock one put in with the McLeod than the fidanza that is most likely bolted to the spec in there now. So the stock one is the best bet once resurfaced

SonicBeast

Established Member
Man this puts me in a tough spot. I've never tracked the car and don't really need to I just feel like if I'm spending this much money I should do the rxt and. 26spline so I could if I wanted to.but that's like double the price as I was thinking I could afford. Grr

younggun04

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
My RST lasted 2 months and then I upgraded to an RXT.... that was in 2007 and I am still running it untouched to this day. The clutch outlasted the stock T56 and is now in front of my magnum. don't waste your time/mpney on the RST no matter what anyone says. It is not a good clutch for these cars, too much weight for organic discs. BTW my car hasn't been under 570 with this clutch and has ran with numbers in sig for 2 years. Thats with a TON of street and track abuse to boot.

bar none the RXT is the best clutch you can get for these cars PERIOD.

Last edited:

SVT_Troy

Established Member
You are wrong mine is resurfaced and is the best option because its the only Fly you can use unless you get the matching one for the mecloud. OP you can also send ur stk fly to mcloud and get a new face plate for $125 FYI if you didnt know they are the ones who made the stk setup for 03/04 cobras. Like others said dnt get the RST you will kill this clutch get the RXT call Mcloed and they will tell you why. I have my RXT on my 10spline and no problems even with track passes

Sounds like your saying you can only use a resurfaced stock or McLoed flywheel with a RST/RXT.

I'd like to disagree and say that you can indeed run a Fidanza or other brand if desired. I'll be running a Fidanza and a new insert with my RXT

2QWKHUH

Established Member
McLeod RST

I love my RST. I do launch on slicks at 6200-6500 and has held up good so far. But only about 8 passes. I wish I had gone RXT though as I'd feel more comfortable. But still will keep launching hard. And if it goes I'll speak up.

707svt

Venom Feeder
Established Member
Sounds like your saying you can only use a resurfaced stock or McLoed flywheel with a RST/RXT.

I'd like to disagree and say that you can indeed run a Fidanza or other brand if desired. I'll be running a Fidanza and a new insert with my RXT

Like I said in my post a "matching" fly so yes you can use Fidanza or any other fly that go's with these clutches due to there smaller discs but why spend $350 or more when for $125 you can have basically brand new stock one that is aluminum and was made by the same company to begin with, just make no sence unless your going steel and even then why do that .

MalcolmV8

Established Member
How did you like your Spec Stage 3? I'm looking to upgrade my stock clutch to a Spec 2+ or a Spec 3

It's not an upgrade from stock. I've hated my Spec 3+ since day one. When I finally get an RXT in here this winter I'll be so happy :)

To be specific with some details the break in period is horrendous, shudder and shake your car to the point of possibly damaging some drive train parts. It makes noise at times, it's a very "on" "off" type clutch that doesn't slip smoothly like OEM. Pressing the clutch is like doing leg presses and it eats throw out bearings. I'm on my 4th or so... lots count actually. Do some searching on the forum and you'll find lots of the same complaints. These issues are not specific to me.

Users who are viewing this thread