Votes: 10 27.0%
  • Keep

Votes: 27 73.0%

• Total voters

mikeeeb124

03 MG
Established Member
Hey guys,

So I have not posted much on this site. Long time lurker though. I have always valued the opinions set out by all of you on here. Onto my dilemma at hand.

Should I sell my 03' Cobra? It's a MG Coupe. 11k miles. Mint. Very lightly modded.

Here's a quick overview so you can see my side.
-My plan was to keep this car for a LONG time
-Just had a baby
-Realize I don't drive it very often. I have put 4k miles on in 5 years
-Don't really have the time to enjoy her. She kinda just sits in the garage :(
-Don't NEED to sell for the money
-Don't have the money to do the mods I want to do
-Potentially sell and invest the money into a business I am looking at starting up

I don't know what to do, i'm torn up about this? I know many of you have been through this before. Will I regret selling? Will I kick myself in 10 years? If I don't have the time for her, is it best to just let her go to someone who does?

Thanks for the input.
-Mike

Blu13gt

Established Member
Sell, invest, then in 10 years buy two more and mod them with the money you made by investing in yourself. You don't drive it. You don't have the money to do what you want with it. You have a business plan that could use a little cash to get it going. You have a baby that will take most of your free time for the next 5-18 years. Do the sensible thing now so you can spend time with your family and hopefully be a self sufficient business owner making a good living in 5-10 years.

MG0h3

Established Member
In your situation I would put it up for sale for what you want and not take any less.

You aren't desperate to sell which is a good thing for you.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
For those set of circumstances, I'd say sell. This is also a great time of year to sell. Don't go back and forth, get into late fall or winter and say "oh snap, I REALLY need to sell NOW". Put her up now, should bring good money rather quickly.

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
I am of a different opinion. You already have the car and, from the sound of it don't really want to sell it, nor do you need to sell. I have two Cobras that I rarely drive, maybe 1k miles per year, if that. But my job is stressful, as I'm sure a family and a job for you is the same. I like I can go into the garage and look or wipe down my cars. It calms me and I smile because I have my two sought after vehicles that I have wanted since I was young. It gives me something to get excited about thinking of when I can drive or tinker with them. I think every man needs a release or something for himself to maintain balance in his life. Obviously the people on this forum are car guys, ergo that is it for us.
You can always sell the car if things start getting tight or you need it to invest in your future. But if it isn't necessary then keep that piece of enjoyment in your life for those rare times when you can get behind the wheel, roll the windows down and just be.

Slippery Nut

Established Member
Hey guys,

So I have not posted much on this site. Long time lurker though. I have always valued the opinions set out by all of you on here. Onto my dilemma at hand.

Should I sell my 03' Cobra? It's a MG Coupe. 11k miles. Mint. Very lightly modded.

Here's a quick overview so you can see my side.
-My plan was to keep this car for a LONG time
-Just had a baby
-Realize I don't drive it very often. I have put 4k miles on in 5 years
-Don't really have the time to enjoy her. She kinda just sits in the garage :(
-Don't NEED to sell for the money
-Don't have the money to do the mods I want to do
-Potentially sell and invest the money into a business I am looking at starting up

I don't know what to do, i'm torn up about this? I know many of you have been through this before. Will I regret selling? Will I kick myself in 10 years? If I don't have the time for her, is it best to just let her go to someone who does?

Thanks for the input.
-Mike

Definitely keep it. Low miles, mint condition. Years from now a car like that will be extremely rare and will cost you much $$$$$ to replace, if you can find one. I will never sell mine by choice. I learned that lesson almost 30 years ago when I traded in my '68 Camaro for a crappy '83 Mustang GT. I still have dreams in my sleep about that car. Not that it was so great, but it was my first car and I have so many good memories. Try to find one that needs restoration at a cheap price, not happening. I think that since your having such difficulty making a decision is a clear indication you will live to regret it. I've got an '03 MG convertible I only drive in good weather and that only makes it very special when I do take her out.

Skitzerman

NE Philly
Established Member
I think it is safe to say, that the majority of people that parted with their Cobra, lived to regret it. If selling is somehow connected to you and your families well being, then selling is the obvious conclusion. You'll still miss the car but your reasoning will overcome your regrets.

GDDYUP

Established Member
I'm going to give you my real quick version of a painful story...

20 years ago when I was a young lad I bought a 90 Notch. The car was a pile. Built it up over a few years and made it exactly what I wanted. Granted I was young, engaged, had no huge bills when I built it. I spent a TON of time and effort on that car with friends and we had a blast. It wasn't too crazy, but it ran 11.8s on an NA306 with stock style suspension...

Fast forward a few years. Had a house and a young son who was just born. Still wasn't being beat up with bills. Both wife and I have always worked fulltime jobs and had great local family who helped with the young family. We weren't beat up for money. One day I decided that I wasn't driving the car much anymore, there were some little bills I could pay off, and I made a real bad mistake.

I sold the car. The day after Christmas, I dropped it off at the train station and on it's way it went. My good buddy also sold his at the same time because "we weren't driving them anymore." Neither of the cars owed us anything.

I don't regret many things and I'm not the type to harp on my past decisions. You make them, you deal with them, you move on. That's one decision I really regret. Once it was gone and the money went to the bills or wherever, it was still gone. Come to find out a few years later that it had been totalled by the person who bought it and it was scrapped. Gone.

It took over 15 years to get one back. I bought a 92 LX, spent some time with it, spent some good money on it, did the 351 swap I always wanted to do, and then sold it. I just never fell in love with it like I did with my notch. It always reminded me of that stupid decision I made. I used the money to help pay for the Cobra.

My Cobra? That's here to stay! That's never going anywhere. I LOVE this car. It puts me right back where I felt when I was wrenching on the car with the boys 20 years ago. I refuse to let this one get away. I made that mistake before and I absolutely refuse to do it again.

So think about it before you really make your decision. If you really feel the right thing to do is to sell it and move on, take another couple days and be sure. In the end, the decision you make has to be the right one for you. Just make sure you're doing it for the right reasons.

Good luck!

Zemedici

Established Member
If I were in your position I would sell. The minute I dont drive / enjoy the car very often, I'd rather have the money in my bank account than a car that just sits in the garage....plus starting a business is more important than a car, imo. Gotta think about your baby and your family. You can always buy another car.

Awtblo

03 OW Cobra
Established Member
I'm in the keep it boat, every time I've sold my "toy" I find myself looking for another within a couple months.

Besides, finding a replacement 5 years from now may be tough and it'll cost you to find what you once had.

Users who are viewing this thread