Opinions please pics included 14 GT500

NIL8U

Established Member
Guys I've been in search of a 14 GT500 for the longest time. I am close to owning this one but I just Got images of front bumper and if I am going to pay 50k for this car I'd expect it to be immaculate. Am I going over board or do most of you guys with 5k miles have these rock chips. Help guys need opinions. Thanks in advance Jerry

IMG_4147.PNG
IMG_4150.PNG

WVTrakPak

Established Member
If I were buying it for a driver and color and options were exactly what I wanted.....it wouldn't bother me. If you want a show car and it is not perfect color and options I would move on or negotiate. For me getting exactly color and options is huge. SVTPP, Tack Pack, Recaros, and NAV were must haves. Good Luck!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Mine had no chips at 5k miles. It has a front clip clear bra which works great.

Now at 8k miles, I got a chip by the fog lamp where the clear bra doesnt cover and some dumbass put one on my passenger door handle.

With all that said, I wouldn't pass on a great car for something minor like what is pictured.

Buy it and enjoy!

NIL8U

Established Member
Car is exact options and color I wanted. This private seller has just been so difficult to deal with. I had to actually tell him ok take it to dealer so they can professionally check it out at my expense. Dealer was the one that sent me photos. Apparently guy has super busy schedule and couldn't take 5m to text me pic.

I want it to be a driver not show queen but at 50k I'd expect it to be spotless. He mentioned on many emails car is perfect !

What do you all think those small repairs cost. How much should I ask seller to deduct?

raustin0017

Established Member
OP...for about $20 you can get a paint match touch up kit and only you will know it was ever there. IMHO this is so minor but if your looking for a garage queen to trailer to the local car shows this will deduct 2-points off your show car then keep looking for the perfect queen.

If your going to purchase a 14 GT500 to actually drive and have fun with the beast then press forward and don't let this stop ya...it will be 100% worth it.

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
.....I want it to be a driver not show queen but at 50k I'd expect it to be spotless. .....

If you want it to be a 'driver' then get used to picking up a little rock chip here and there. Pretty much unavoidable. My last three 'toy' car purchases have all been mint-mint, and then when I finally get down to looking at them VERY closely I have always been able to find some tiny chips here and there. I maintain that it's OK to have a chip or two. Get them fixed, or just use correct touchup paint and they will disappear. Anyway, that's JMHO. Good luck with it!

CWO AMMO-TECH

Established Member
Had to replace the 2 bumper stripe pieces where there was a licence plate as we do not run one. 12 k miles. I found 2 small chips high on the sides of the body which I assume was self inflicted by the car itself as I found the F1 tires pick up any small stone and throws them. It's all part of buying used. The white ish wear flowing up from the front tires along the bottom of the stripes and halfway down the doors on the clear coat was the most noticeable thing I found on mine but seem to have corrected it with a few steps including polish. I do think white paint chips if you have a match is easier to fix and hide. I do not live in a commuting city or traffic where I have to follow behind folks and get sand blasted but we put a lot of dirt sand on the road in the winter which stays around all year on the shoulders etc, Agree with above statements about price adjust or looking further!

paluka21

Established Member
I don't think those two small rock chips are that big of a deal. It's not as though you can deduct enough money from the price to justify repainting an entire hood or bumper for two minor blemishes. If you're driving the car small things like this will happen and will eventually drive you crazy if you're stressed about such small things.

NIL8U

Established Member
Since Bruno the boxer mentioned he's at 4K+ miles and no rock chips leads me to think maybe seller didn't care for it much. I had a 2012 GS Vette at 12k miles and didn't have a single Rock chip. I'll try to deduct some from selling price but we ll see what happens I'll keep you all posted. Thank guys for quick responses

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I have one but I'd have to point it out.
As someone mentioned, the sticky stock tires are terrible with rocks and terrible for traction, lose/lose.
I put on Jeager bros. front stone guards and Roush side and rear splitters for looks and protection.
I'm going to have a full detail done this week and then consider some of the paint protection methods.
On a car with 5300 miles, what paint protection do you guys recommend.
-J

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
Since Bruno the boxer mentioned he's at 4K+ miles and no rock chips leads me to think maybe seller didn't care for it much. I had a 2012 GS Vette at 12k miles and didn't have a single Rock chip. I'll try to deduct some from selling price but we ll see what happens I'll keep you all posted. Thank guys for quick responses
But in reality, those types of minor chips could've happened to a 50 mile car on the way from the dealer to a hidden garage somewhere.
If the rest of the car checks out, I'd jump on it.
Or just keep looking for another.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
But in reality, those types of minor chips could've happened to a 50 mile car on the way from the dealer to a hidden garage somewhere.
If the rest of the car checks out, I'd jump on it.
Or just keep looking for another.
This!

OP, stuff happens even to the more anal of car owners. You can be as careful as you can, and stuff like chips and road rash can and will happen. The only way to prevent it is to either wrap the car or store it in a museum.

This one IMO is pretty pristine. If the price is right and you're pleased with the mods/equipment, go for it. I'm not sure you are ever going to find as perfect a used car as you are expecting. Maybe no nicer than this one. JMO.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Rock chips happen but I bought mine with 6800 miles and it had zero. Add to that the fact that the car was 10 years old and I was impressed with this.

$50k is too much.

But I'm a tight ass.

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
Unless I'm getting a great deal or the car is extremely "special" (which GT500's are not) I would pass on buying from a difficult seller. Sorry, but just about everyone is "very busy" these days. There are plenty of nice Shelbys for sale from truly nice people who will go out of there way to make a transaction pleasant.

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
OP, throwing you a bone here.
Contact [email protected]
14 Shelby
In Illinois
Older TRUE car guy owner. No mods, perfect, NO rock chips, no rain
TOO much power, car is for sale.
White/black stripe
SVTPP, Recaro seats,
1875 babied miles
This man is a classic Ford collector. I've seen some of his cars, I'd be calling this guy if I was looking for one.
You can thank me later.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
I'm around 13k miles and I have plenty of small knicks, and one decent chip.

I drive it pretty frequently (not this year) in a lot of rura settings.

Shit happens.

If it's going to drive you nuts, pass.
If you can live, go for it.

NIL8U

Established Member
OP, throwing you a bone here.
Contact [email protected]
14 Shelby
In Illinois
Older TRUE car guy owner. No mods, perfect, NO rock chips, no rain
TOO much power, car is for sale.
White/black stripe
SVTPP, Recaro seats,
1875 babied miles
This man is a classic Ford collector. I've seen some of his cars, I'd be calling this guy if I was looking for one.
You can thank me later.
PM'd you COOL COBRA

Users who are viewing this thread