Opinions on turbo kits?

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
I disagree the skill level and difficulty for autocross far exceeds drag racing. The effort, knowledge and testing imo are at a similar level. The actual driving for drag racing takes much less skill compared to autocross and it is ignorant to think otherwise.

If you say so...

noldevin

Established Member
I disagree the skill level and difficulty for autocross far exceeds drag racing. The effort, knowledge and testing imo are at a similar level. The actual driving for drag racing takes much less skill compared to autocross and it is ignorant to think otherwise.

I agree. I've done both, and they're both very fun. However...
Drag racing, your skill involves your launch, and not turning. The rest is money (suspension, tires, hp gains).
Autocross and to a greater degree, road racing, take far more driver skill. Can you improve with car improvements? Yes. But you could pit a miata against a ferrari and the miata will win if the driver is better. That happens far less in drag racing for a reason.

driverskill.jpg

Last edited:

Aaron@JPCRacing

Established Member

I hear this alot from people. Untill you've broken the 9 second barrier drag racing is pretty boring. Make a 150+ mph pass on a 28 x 10.5 one time and tell me it takes no skill to drive. Try keeping your right foot down while your looking at the sky. Since that doesnt take any skill either.

Bud

Established Member
Drag racing, your skill involves your launch, and not turning. The rest is money (suspension, tires, hp gains).

Sometimes driving/steering is required at very high mph, it's not just hold the steering wheel straight and go. Lots of danger involved with not getting that steering correct as well. I couldn't have done this and had the same outcome, driving skill matters:

[video=youtube;irzVojqYqck]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irzVojqYqck[/video]

RAZRS EDGE

Stay Humble
Established Member
I've been involved with x275 the last few years. These cars are now going consistently 150-155mph in 660 feet. Some of which are over 3300lbs.

To say "the rest is money" is also ignorant. I've seen dozens of people with more money than sense in this class alone not get a $150k+ build work right or get it down the track because they not not possess the skills, knowledge or experience to do so. The exact same applies to road racing/auto cross.

I invite you to come hop in this car and simply press your right foot.

Better yet, go hop in a Top Fuel or Top Alcohol car. You just have to drive it straight for 1320'. Sounds easy, right?

1477771_10152129466462112_1162147566_n.jpg

Last edited:

Hugerush

Established Member
It’s Apples and Pears (not Oranges).

What’s harder to do well, IPSC or Sporting Clays? They’re both guns and they both have triggers. Does doing one build skill at the other? In reality they are completely different disciplines and to get good at either you have to put in the trigger time.

Fact is, anyone with a driver license can drive a car down a dragstrip, and anyone can drive a car around a racetrack (or autocross circuit), but that doesn’t mean they can do it FAST.

Speed in both disciplines requires BOTH equipment and skill, and while equipment can be purchased, with very few exceptions speed takes PRACTICE.

Are there naturally gifted drivers? Sure, but they still need to put in the seat time to get/maintain proficiency.

Are there any shortcuts? Knowledge about technique and practice routines can shorten the time it takes to gain speed, but it still takes practice.

Just because you can recite the stick patterns of all the drum rudiments, that doesn’t mean your a drummer. As with anything else, to get good at it requires time. And to get really good at it, LOTS of time…

stags

Established Member
Looks like I am gonna have to go to BG after all :D

Probs wrong forum but since all the fi guys are here, anyone have any ideas about how the voodoo might do with boost? Would the flat plane help or hurt turbo operation?

Famine

Established Member
Can we please not post anymore sexy ws6 pictures? I almost flew half way across the country to get one and every time I see one that looks clean, I regret not doing it.

Famine

Established Member
I will say though in the spirit of the turbo vs Paxton battle, I priced out a vortech kit from beefcake and with the options necessary (not including the torque booster kit or the tial bov), it has come out to $7,092. So their price point should not be a selling point imo.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I will say though in the spirit of the turbo vs Paxton battle, I priced out a vortech kit from beefcake and with the options necessary (not including the torque booster kit or the tial bov), it has come out to $7,092. So their price point should not be a selling point imo.

the 5699 package before forum discount has everything "necessary"

Famine

Established Member
That may be, but who wouldn't want to run a better bov, torque booster, a good bap, better plugs, better intake, etc? I can give you not everyone needs satin black coating. Just saying built the way I want it personally, it's similar to a tvr package the way I would want it, or a turbo kit with the minimum requirements. It is enough to get by granted. It's a way to get the taste for power though. I also forgot to add the boss manifold that I would also prefer. Also, I never did the forum discount, but...

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
That may be, but who wouldn't want to run a better bov, torque booster, a good bap, better plugs, better intake, etc? I can give you not everyone needs satin black coating. Just saying built the way I want it personally, it's similar to a tvr package the way I would want it, or a turbo kit with the minimum requirements. It is enough to get by granted. It's a way to get the taste for power though. I also forgot to add the boss manifold that I would also prefer. Also, I never did the forum discount, but...

if your going for a max effort build, you would bypass a lot of the stuff outta the gate and hit a comp kit that would run 6349

that would have 8 rib, comp inlet, jt blower, mid 8 second blower. add a bov for 250 and your 6649, that's with id1000s, tune, and a bap

take the turbo, add the bap, the injectors, etc... still quite a bit of difference

Famine

Established Member
I did have the 8 rib. I don't think I'm shooting for more than what the oem block can handle, but would like to have it upgradeable down the line. I would like the added torque, and a better sounding bov though.

jp1seattle

Established Member
I did have the 8 rib. I don't think I'm shooting for more than what the oem block can handle, but would like to have it upgradeable down the line. I would like the added torque, and a better sounding bov though.

I didn't consider a turbo because I was doing the install with a jack and jack stands. Plus contrary to what you came up with, price point was also a consideration and the vortech/Paxton was a lot less than what you added up.

I also have the black V3, JMS PNP, plugs, and Tial bov.

also have the T bolt kit.

Last edited:

jp1seattle

Established Member
Let me add than in a perfect world, I would have a turbo mustang, a TVS and a centri.

I like them all and they're all faster than I'll ever need.

CPRsm

take the turbo, add the bap, the injectors, etc... still quite a bit of difference
Not a huge difference if people add the normal nick knacks already included in our kit. Headers, mid pipe, kmember, tubular core support add up to just shy of our kit if you matched the injectors, plugs, handheld, etc even tune.

Famine

Established Member
I didn't consider a turbo because I was doing the install with a jack and jack stands. Plus contrary to what you came up with, price point was also a consideration and the vortech/Paxton was a lot less than what you added up.

I also have the black V3, JMS PNP, plugs, and Tial bov.

also have the T bolt kit.

Well hell, I'll have to hit you up when I'm ready to order then.

Users who are viewing this thread