Opinion on 5 y/o battery and a roadie

Fireguy615

Mom! The Meatloaf!
Established Member
My car has the original Motorcraft battery it was sold with, so it turned 5 years in Feb. I've got a 1,000 mile roundtrip roadie up to Steamboat, Colorado next month for a car show. The car still starts well and the sight light is still nice and green.

So should I just let it roll the way it is or go out and get a new battery for some piece of mind?? There are some stretches of road up in the Colorado mountains that I really don't want to be on the heel-toe express if something were to die on me.

The car has 21,000 miles on it as it sits. I'm not sure how long the Motorcrafts last, either by mileage or years.

Black Talon

KnightOfTheOldRepublic
Established Member
I still have the factory battery in my 03 with 30,000 miles. It works perfect.
If you are nervous about it just get a new Motorcraft and be done with it.

metaman

Established Member
When they go, they go suddenly. That being said, if you are going on your road trip to places where autoparts stores exist then you could just buy a new one and drop it in if that one goes bad.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
5 years old = you've got your money's worth. LOL! Seriously, I would never not change the battery with more than 3 years on it. Some may stretch it to 4. Unfortunately most wait until the battery shows signs of failing and by then it is usually too late. IMO it isn't worth the risk of being stranded somewhere. If you have AAA or a similar program you could risk it and then have your Club rescue you, but if it were me with a 5 year old battery I'd replace it. It's worth the piece of mind.

magstang1

C'mon say it man RAMROD!
Established Member
I bet $100 for a new battery is cheaper than a tow. You can probably add an alternator to the list of parts if the battery fails completely too. I just went through that whole deal. I'm at 31k and just replaced the stock battery. I wouldn't worry about mileage, it's age.

Last edited:

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
It's either now or in a year, lol...the stock batterys are really good...I'm at 46,000 miles, but with my 2nd...the stocker was replaced at some point in time before 30,000 miles...

Fireguy615

Mom! The Meatloaf!
Established Member
Well then a new battery it is. Although we will be driving through some of the nicest scenery in the world, I think I would rather drive the 12,000 ft. pass between Leadville and Copper mountain, not walk it.:D

hoofbeat

Established Member
:beer:Change the batt.. I changed mine a month ago(new Motorcraft) org. was almost 7 years old and like you did not want to take any chances.

Black306

Established Member
Pop the caps on the battery and look at the plates/acid. If they are clean, you shouldn't have any trouble. If the plates look like the start of a coral reef or if the acid is dark gray, buy a new one.

V6&V8SHO

Established Member
I am still on the Original 2001 battery. Had it checked to. Perfect.

jtm

now more boost included
Established Member
i usually figure 5 years on a battery, then i feel like im on borrowed time. change the battery, less to worry about on your trip

Fireguy615

Mom! The Meatloaf!
Established Member
Yes sir, I always take pics all the way on this trip every year. You just can't pass thru the 14ers of Colorado and not take pics of Gods Country!

I think we may take a quick detour up to Independence pass and grab a couple shots of the Cobra at 12,000 ft amongst the tundra. We passed thru Fremont pass, also 12,000 ft last year on June 15th and it was freaking snowing!:eek:

Evan5469

Established Member
Glad I saw this post. I have an original battery too and looked in the sight for the little ball and it is now red and I have a trip coming up Thursday so tomorrow I will be picking up a new battery too. Better safe than sorry. Have fun on your trip!

fiveoh2go

Cleveland's OG
Established Member
Glad I saw this post. I have an original battery too and looked in the sight for the little ball and it is now red and I have a trip coming up Thursday so tomorrow I will be picking up a new battery too. Better safe than sorry. Have fun on your trip!

FYI, those battery life/condition indicators are notorious for being inaccurate...

RAPTOR5V

Firing on all 8
Established Member
My 03 battery went out at about 5 years old change it cant go wrong :beer:

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
I`m still on the factory unit.It`ll be 7yrs. old next month,I should maybe think about getting a new one!

Users who are viewing this thread