Opinion: 2015 Mustang Weight

mach14604

Established Member
I have always been well aware of the complaints across the media about the lack of IRS in the Mustang following launches. But I never connected the weight issue and the IRS making the car heavier but it does make sense. I was shocked to hear the rumor of a heavier car again seeing that everything I had heard to this point said lighter. I would like to see a lighter Mustang. I don't see the use of the IRS other than the ease of swapping exhausts (and I am an 2004 Cobra Owner). I feel like Ford has done a very nice job with the stick axles over the years and has been able to make them better along the way.

zinc03svt

Big Red
Established Member
Well somewhere due to the F150 losing some 700 pounds the rumor mill started that the 2015 Stang was going to be 3-400 pounds lighter. Seemed a little unrealistic, but the thought of a higher hp Coyote setup in a 3200 curb weight car was VERY appealing. The drag crowd does not want the IRS. Sure the small percentage of autocrosser/road racers etc. like the idea of a mustang with IRS. But, it's been proven time and again you can make a live axle handle with additional parts from the aftermarket. Ford is just trying to appeal to new international markets who expect independent suspension systems in newer cars. But, after finding out the reality of the weight gain (in addition to preferring the older retro styling myself) did change my mind on the newer 15 design. I just bought a new 2014 GT/CS myself. LOL

EditorTurner

Established Member
Well, the weight of the car is not confirmed yet, so it isn't a reality. I am sure you will enjoy that 2014, however. The last of each generation tends to be the best of that era.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
The problem with the live axle for Ford is the ride quality vs handling. They had basically reached the pinnacle of handling one could reasonably expect in a streetable car that appeals to the masses with the later S197s. They had simply run out of places to improve (considering that we're dealing with a $25k base priced mass production car),

DMassey

No Habla Jibber Jabber
Established Member
I never totally bought into the "less weight" rumor either, I just didn't see how the car couldn't gain some weight. But I still foresee the weight gain being around 100#, which is perfectly fine by me.

The IRS will weigh more, but it won't weigh as much as the 99-04 IRS; this is a much better design that doesn't require it's own custom subframe. Obviously, Federal Safety standards will add weight as well. But Ford is also combating those weight gains with more use of aluminum in the front fenders, and the new double ball joint suspension will drop some weight over the old A-arm setup.

I'm willing to bet that the new front suspension drops as much weight as the new IRS adds.

DMassey

No Habla Jibber Jabber
Established Member
yep let's hope! Another area that you can see Ford trimming weight is through much less glass in the greenhouse. Specifically look at the rear window. The S197 rear glass is MUCH larger than the S550 rear glass.

5.0GT

Established Member
Or, is it time for ford to actually make another sport car than the mustang?

A lot of enthusiast would choose to sacrifice a lot in the current model for a true performer. I would buy a car with no back seats, a smaller body less features, and a great power-train.

Some will even pay the extra buck like they paid for a Boss, especially if there is no old ladies driving a V6 version of it.

662HP631TQ

Established Member
But yet, we still know nothing. Either way the car is a knock out home run. And the traditionalists will come around they always do! What are they going to do? Buy a Camaro or Challenger?

Darth Racer

Established Member
I still don't see why Ford couldn't get more weight out of the car like they did with the F-150. Aren't they aware that enthusiasts were expending a lighter car? What a disappointment. I had planned on buying a'15, but now that's off. I'll find a '14 to my linking.

I agree that Ford needs another 'sports car' like GT-40ish model. The 'vette is kicking butt in road racing. It's a shame Ford doesn't have anything new to compete with it.

DMassey

No Habla Jibber Jabber
Established Member
they produce so many F-150's that the economies of scale allow them to use a high amount of aluminum in the body/chassis. Mustang sales are a fraction of F-150 sales; if they used that much aluminum in the Mustang the price would absolutely skyrocket.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
they produce so many F-150's that the economies of scale allow them to use a high amount of aluminum in the body/chassis. Mustang sales are a fraction of F-150 sales; if they used that much aluminum in the Mustang the price would absolutely skyrocket.

+1

600,000 - 800,000/yr vs. 80,000 - 90,000/yr

Then include the vast differences in profit margin.

Darth Racer

Established Member

Yes, but it's what some of their engineers promised that leaves a bitter taste in the mouth. I have a feeling they knew it was going to be heavier and just lied about the reduced weight. I would be willing to pay more for a high-powered, lower weight mustang. But, it isn't going to happen. They lost a customer. They've given GM the high ground and that hacks me off.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
The "engineers" don't make the choices regarding the final product so they have no motivation to lie.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Yes, but it's what some of their engineers promised that leaves a bitter taste in the mouth. I have a feeling they knew it was going to be heavier and just lied about the reduced weight. I would be willing to pay more for a high-powered, lower weight mustang. But, it isn't going to happen. They lost a customer. They've given GM the high ground and that hacks me off.

When exactly did Ford engineers promise you it would be a smaller, lighter car? When is the last time any car got smaller and lighter over time? Seems to me that magazines made up those rumors to attract attention.

And how does GM get the high ground here? You must not be a true mustang fan if you're all of a sudden like "well I loved Ford, but I think they lied to me so time to buy a Camaro"...

Users who are viewing this thread