OPG Drop Test

imeyers302

Established Member
Saw this video and was shocked at how weak the factory OPG's really are.

[video=youtube;12ZNlGXwHv0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12ZNlGXwHv0[/video]

fuelforfire87

Established Member
Wow, that makes me worry even more now about replacing my OPGs

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

wr450

Established Member
Calm down people those gears weren't meant to be dropped from 4 foot high on concrete they run in a housing with a oil supply

wr450

Established Member
Also u have to understand metallurgy a Billitt gear doesn't wear like a softer gear hence why an oem gear is a powdered metal there's a reason for that an oem gear is made to wear a Billitt gear doesn't

mackdog2008

Established Member
1st time ever hitting the rev limiter, vmp tvs, 79mm pulley and E85.
e35b8ff8d70f67221329d110bc629d1d.jpg
2b462eb274806c5eb04b7ff21b2cdff0.jpg

wr450

Established Member
Harmonics also play into the failures the stock gears work as they were engineered to under the factory settings remember these are driven by the crankshaft my car is na with a tune and exhaust so I don't feel the need to change them even with the limiter set slightly higher when u add fi or a intake that moves the limiter substantially higher the factory balancer is pushed beyond its limits

Paul.

Established Member
This "drop test" has about as much relevance to their suitability to pump oil as a test to determine whether they taste good with Sriracha sauce.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
What is the 79mm pulley, about 11-12psi? I need to be careful until I do the opg's and stuff. Hit 7750 limiter twice since doing my procharger.

Yeah,....I would definitely be looking into replacing the stock OPG's and sprocket gear if you are pushing your car like that.
Good luck!

5lho

Established Member
Billet gear probably wouldn't fracture but, it'd probably pick up a bend that would make it just as useless so...as has been said, pointless and doesn't prove anything. Don't rattle the limiter (especially on FI), is the best takeaway from this conversation.

Users who are viewing this thread