Oops!!! I blew up my engine...

racerbox77

Established Member
The rings are supposed to be 180 from each other. On a blown car especially there was a lot of blow by if thats how they were. This could pop the valve stem seal. Are the seals rubber or a white plastic. The rubber ones are junk. That would also cause the valves to have deposites and the plug to be oil soaked. Sounds like your engine builder overlooked that piston. I dont know who built the short block but I would be wondering what else was overlooked.
I would suggest a Vortec, you'll gain serious power with an s trim/ power pipe set up over what you have. I have that set up ,and now that its getting cooler out I see 11-12 psi.
MGW shifter looks like its just the handle. Being adjustable means to me just another piece to move under hard shhifting. Kind of like a universal knob. I could be wrong but if its just a handle I dont see the point to buying it. I have the old tried and true Hurst and it works fine. Clutch adjustment is just as important for power shifting as the shifter.
BTW did you ever get a good run w the car? Slicks or street tires?

03BlownSnake

SVT Tech
Established Member
racerbox77 said:
The rings are supposed to be 180 from each other. On a blown car especially there was a lot of blow by if thats how they were. This could pop the valve stem seal. Are the seals rubber or a white plastic. The rubber ones are junk. That would also cause the valves to have deposites and the plug to be oil soaked. Sounds like your engine builder overlooked that piston. I dont know who built the short block but I would be wondering what else was overlooked.
I would suggest a Vortec, you'll gain serious power with an s trim/ power pipe set up over what you have. I have that set up ,and now that its getting cooler out I see 11-12 psi.
MGW shifter looks like its just the handle. Being adjustable means to me just another piece to move under hard shhifting. Kind of like a universal knob. I could be wrong but if its just a handle I dont see the point to buying it. I have the old tried and true Hurst and it works fine. Clutch adjustment is just as important for power shifting as the shifter.
BTW did you ever get a good run w the car? Slicks or street tires?

I did set the rings 180 from eachother when I personally put it in... It does have the rubber seals aswell, stock on AFR185 heads. I am ordering some new seals, made by Vinton. Im not sure if they are the white plastic ones as you mentioned.
The car on a 85 degree night, 2200 elevation, put down a 12.4 @ 116 mph. on street tires, Toyo T1R's, 275/35/18 tire. And ofcourse it very traction limited. When I screwed up the motor, I had bumped my timing up to 14 degrees, running race fuel, and increased the boost to about 8. (gained about a pound of boost with a different pulley) but only ran once when the rocker took a dump half way down the track. So I never got a chance to see if I could break into the 11's on street tires. I know it will run 11's on drags, but I dont run drags on the street, so I want to know how fast my car really is in everyday trim ;-)

stangbear427

Established Member
racerbox77 said:
It's not just a handle, it's a complete shifter with the gear selector and base, and choice of handles when you buy it. I don't think the handle would bolt to any other shifter base. I have the same reservations about the design as you do, but I've yet to hear any evidence them being valid. Pro5.0 for me, but we'll see what the future holds...

racerbox77

Established Member
03blownsnake, what do you think of your T1Rs? I just bought those in the same size for my new wheels. I havent heated them and tried to launch it yet. I was told these are great tires for road racing. Just wanting your opinion.
Your car runs pretty good considering your elavation.

03BlownSnake

SVT Tech
Established Member
racerbox77 said:
03blownsnake, what do you think of your T1Rs? I just bought those in the same size for my new wheels. I havent heated them and tried to launch it yet. I was told these are great tires for road racing. Just wanting your opinion.
Your car runs pretty good considering your elavation.
I think they are ok. I think they handle pretty good, but for launching, im sure their are better out there these for drag racing

Users who are viewing this thread